Following on from tachos

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Flyingscotsman2, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Flyingscotsman2

Flyingscotsman2

How long do u drive a day. Say if u leave your home and your heading say for benidorm for instance. Do u drive 3 or 4 hrs ?

2. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Anything between 1 and 24 hours. Depending on the weather and mood. Thats cos I can :D.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Flyingscotsman2

Flyingscotsman2

Good answer

4. Mel

Mel Funster

Always subject to nature calling.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I would say an average of 8 to 10 hours with an hours break

• Like Like x 1
  6. Flyingscotsman2

Flyingscotsman2

7. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

A legend in his own lifetime was a man by the name of Andrew Wilson Young. He worked on the Middle East run, and the best time he ever did was Carlisle-Baghdad-Carlisle in 14 days. That is no mean feat when you consider its 8000 miles. Add to that the numerous border crossings and customs checks and paperwork that had to be stamped, as this was long before the days of the EU. The best time I ever managed was Manchester-Baghdad-Manchester in 20 days. I think I only had 10 hours sleep in that 20 days, so how the hell he did it I dont know. I tend to take a more leisurely pace nowadays, but I have done Manchester-Benidorm on the RN and pitched up with the mat and chair out and cold beer in hand in 23 hours including ferry Dover-Calais with an RV and trailer.

• Like Like x 3
  8. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

Never eat Tachos when I'm driving, too messy!

:cooler:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

about 7 hours a day for us find that quite enough.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Your right, the paper all shreds up. It's like eating cream crackers without butter. (y)

• Like Like x 4
  11. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

On a relaxed trip I like to drive a couple of hours in the morning, lunch then another couple of hours and find an Aire..

but as Dave said it all depends on the weather and mood..

Years ago I thought nothing of it to drive 12 hours or more.. I once drove from Scotland to St Tropez non stop.. in an MG Midget .. only rest was on the Newhaven - Dieppe ferry .. madness I say .. madness.

no point now.. the journey is as much part of the trip as the destination..

• Like Like x 5
  12. Steve

Steve Funster Life Member

I drive untill iam feed up, bored, tired, need a wee, need food could be 2hrs or 10. Will try to stop every couple of hrs if on a long run what ever.
    Dont do "have too anymore" INJOY

• Like Like x 2
  13. Flyingscotsman2

Flyingscotsman2

I use to load 80k south of Rome a place called pomazzia. I left at 1600 on a Thursday and be in brum for around 2130 on a Friday night. But sometimes if I was parked up for the weekend at one of the cabbage patches...( bp truck stops) for 24 hrs or more wen it was time to leave sometimes I could only do about an hour cos I was bolloxed.

• Like Like x 1
  14. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Due to time limitations we often travel late and in one go.. Can be up to 8 hrs with a couple of small breaks.. Would rather take it easier but we just want to use all available time away.

• Like Like x 1
  15. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

Like JimScotland. Every trip is a relaxed trip I drive a couple of hours in the morning, lunch then another couple of hours (3 hrs max) and find an Aire or other stop. I do this at home or abroad.

I have done long marathons when I had my own buses and also later driving for another operator. That was before Tachos. I was not uncommon to start at 6am on contacts then do school run and school baths with a lunch break till it was time to do the reverse school run then the contract return. It was then time to get your tea before a private hire that could involve you being out till 2 or 3 am. It was often possible to get your head down while the party were enjoying their evening.

Blackpool Illuminations added to this routing with a trip from the north east to Blackpool then return empty. You then had to be ready for the Saturday day trip including a run through the lights before returning overnight. Sunday it was a run down to pick up at tea time and return them back home. At least the load got on and off itself and you learned to snatch any opportunity to kip on the back seat. I saw to many young men having heart attacks and decided at 29 enough was enough and I gave it up and went back to college.

• Like Like x 1
  16. martin2603

martin2603 Funster

Having just endured a Driver CPC course, apart from being a money making exercise and of no great benefit , to fill time we viewed video footage of some really bad Traffic Accidents, many fatal. All caused by addiction to the mobile phone, fatigue , and loss of concentration. In one clip a young child in the rear seat is calling "Wake up Daddy" Daddy and mummy are no longer with us, his baby brother beside him is gazing to the sky.
    In a former life I have had the terrible task of informing next of kin they no longer have a son or daughter,
    these memories never leave you.
    I know we have all done the epic journeys at some time or other, but is there any real need for it? There is always tomorrow !
    Stay safe out there and don' t become another statistic.

• Like Like x 6
  17. mpdcymru

mpdcymru Funster

Didn't buy a motorhome to see how long I can drive it. Like many above, I have done the marathon runs in a coach, car and caravan etc but not any more.

An 8 hour day with a couple of good breaks is an absolute maximum but I would prefer a lot less. If I have been driving for a couple of hours and not seen anything interesting I am not in the right place!

18. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i thought the idea was you just drive till you find a nice place to stop. might be 1ml might be 50ml. dont use tollroads or motorways as there isnt nice places on them . sometimes its only from one side of a village to the other side.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

Took that right out of my thoughts (y)

20. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

I like the drive and the scenery, a prolonged drive up the A5 is better by miles than the rush of the M1/6 I like the 56 mph economy mode it is more relaxing and not as tense as the same speed in the lorry queue. Don't go too far as fuel cost govern my travels now. Going to Scotland tomorrow with a break at NEC Show, then onto the A1 / A68 and around coast coming back.