follow on to estcres battery problem (1 Viewer)

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi this is just a follow on to estcres battery problem,,,having trouble getting connected to the battery post on a Fiat Ducato .
I have in the motor home what I purchased from LIDl in France,
A cigar lighter connection (purpose made cables and cigar plugs)in the motorhome and the cigar lighter to connection to the vehicle you are trying to jump start from....then I presume you start the vehicle where you are taking power from...then attempt to start the motrohome that has a flat battery.

Now all this is theory at the moment, as I have never used the item yet, it is still in the bubble packaging in the motorhome....In case needed.... with a pair of heavy duty jump leads.

Now would this method have worked for estcres......and has anydody else used this method for jump starting a motorhome and are there any pitfalls.

MEL

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi this is just a follow on to estcres battery problem,,,having trouble getting connected to the battery post on a Fiat Ducato .
I have in the motor home what I purchased from LIDl in France,
A cigar lighter connection (purpose made cables and cigar plugs)in the motorhome and the cigar lighter to connection to the vehicle you are trying to jump start from....then I presume you start the vehicle where you are taking power from...then attempt to start the motrohome that has a flat battery.

Now all this is theory at the moment, as I have never used the item yet, it is still in the bubble packaging in the motorhome....In case needed.... with a pair of heavy duty jump leads.

Now would this method have worked for estcres......and has anydody else used this method for jump starting a motorhome and are there any pitfalls.

MEL

This is type of cigar jump start I am talking about

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

as anybody tried them........................

Mel

wildbri

Free Member
Dec 16, 2009
Funster No
Hi they are not a jump start as such, but by connecting the two vehicles together and running the donor vehicle for perhaps 10 min them the running vehicle charges the flat battery. I have used this system to charge my car battery through the rear cig lighter connected to a battery charger. when using this method you may have to put the ignition switch in the park position. regards bri :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
.and has anydody else used this method for jump starting a motorhome and are there any pitfalls.
MEL

Not used it but cigar sockets are fused at 15A max, maybe less, so it could take hours to boost a really low battery.

Whereas jumper leads allow the charged battery to deliver the full load immediately.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I do not think that the internal wiring of the vehicles would stand the current required to start the engine. Hopefully the fuses would blow before any damage was done to the wirng itself.

I think these devises are aimed at battery charging and that names such as "Jump Start" are misleading.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Just a follow up to my earlier post.

Fitted the new battery today, what a task, took me over 3 hours and I am well experienced in vehicle and home maintanance. only had to recode the radio.:thumb:

Regarding the type of fitting under discussion, I saw these in Halfords @ £18 and asked how they worked.

You plug in one end to the cigar lighter on supply vehicle and the other end into the vehicle with a flat battery you then run the supply vehicle and a charge is passed from one vehicle to the other. They were quite specific that you cannot jump start using this method.

Times recommended up to 1600cc - 2mins 1600cc - 3000cc -5mins, +3000cc - 10mins.

Don't think this method would have worked in my case as it appears that my battery had given up completely.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Frankia

Free Member
Sep 24, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have one of these and use it for charging the motorbike battery (4Ah). It is fine for that and may also be fine for putting a bit of a charge in a flattish car (petrol engine) battery but having tried it on a flat 2.5 diesel M/home battery it isn't as good as one might hope. We ran the donor 'van for about 10 mins whilst attached via cig sockets to the dead 'van. It still would not start. The dead 'van had a good battery which had inadvertantly been discharged as the owner had left the "Zig" switched to vehicle over a weekend when not on hook up.

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Just a follow up to my earlier post.

Fitted the new battery today, what a task, took me over 3 hours and I am well experienced in vehicle and home maintanance. only had to recode the radio.:thumb:

Regarding the type of fitting under discussion, I saw these in Halfords @ £18 and asked how they worked.

You plug in one end to the cigar lighter on supply vehicle and the other end into the vehicle with a flat battery you then run the supply vehicle and a charge is passed from one vehicle to the other. They were quite specific that you cannot jump start using this method.

Times recommended up to 1600cc - 2mins 1600cc - 3000cc -5mins, +3000cc - 10mins.

Don't think this method would have worked in my case as it appears that my battery had given up completely.

It was just a thought estcres................................( as I had one, but it had never been used).................................Glad you are sorted and are now up and running again.

Mel:Smile::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back