Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
as my other half is not confident on two wheels, i am looking into the feasability of getting her a adult tricycle . ive noticed that some are made to fold up. has anyone had any experience with them and are they practical enough to fit on the back of a motorhome rack or do they need a trailer of sorts ? cheers garry

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
What sort of trike are you after? There is a whole range of recumbent trikes, some very high tech but they do come at a price. One of these went to the South Pole recently: http://www.icetrikes.co. And they fold up but are still bulky unless you take the wheels off.

OP
OP
G

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
just a basic bike with 3 wheels that she can use to ride on cycle paths etc, alongside me on my bike when we are away . the cheapest ive seen advertised are VIKING ones on ebay at about £380 . but if i have to start towing a motorbike trailer to transport it i may as well just take the fireblade !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

artemis

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 years
Folding trike

Have you looked at "Di Blasi" trikes. They have a website showing how they fold. They are expensive but you can pick them up on eBay. I purchased an electric one on eBay around Christmas but have not seen it yet as have been in India for the winter and my daughter picked it up.
I am hoping it will give me back the confidence I lost riding a two wheeler. I was ok on cycle paths but hated traffic.
We will be home next weekend so will soon be able to try it out.
Elizabeth:Cool:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I can't think you can get a trike which folds up small like a "normal" two wheeled bike can. Some of the expensive recumbents will fit into a car boot, but that is about as small as they get:

Broken Link Removed

Cycling lessons might be cheaper!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
There's a Pashley tricycle on Gumtree at the moment near you:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/pashley-tricycle-tri-1-17-folding-frame-claret/1050923784

Looks like it's under half the cost it would be normally:

http://www.pashley.co.uk/products/tri-1.html

However for the most compact type I think there's really only the Di blasti ones but they are expensive:

http://www.diblasi.co.uk/Folding_Tricycles.asp?Prd=R32&Pag=Prodotto

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The Di Blasi trike is very neat. 1600 Euros before any extras.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Another alternative would be to put some stabilisers on her bike, you can get adult ones:

stabilisers]

:thumb:

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Try before you buy - cornering on a trike is a skill in itself. As others have said, the only folding trikes I can recall are recumbents - massively stable, but not, I suspect what you are looking for. As for stabilisers - forget it! They make a bike more, not less difficult to ride. The trend for kids now, thankfully, is to ride 'balance bikes' with no pedals or propulsion other than feet on floor. And that's a good way for an adult to get confidence too - take the pedals off, lower the seat, and get the hang of balancing and braking without worrying about propulsion!

Personally, I'd think again about the problem and look for different solutions.

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
Di Blasi

After asking for advice on Fun, we did buy a Di Blasi for my visually impaired step daughter who is now 18 so wanted an adult sized bike. They are very expensive but do fold up into a very compact unit which fits into a zip up bag. (Being registered disabled did save the VAT on the purchase)
We carry this inside our van as we have two "normal" bikes on the bike rack.

She can keep up a good pace on this bike and enjoys it much more than the Freedom trike she used to use.

There is a video at http://www.diblasi.co.uk/download/DiBlasiVideo/R32-R34.mp4 showing how these trikes fold. They come with mud guards, 5 speed gears and dynamo lights.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• Z.R32.jpg
    Z.R32.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
G

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
thanks everyone ,it looks like the basic ones i was originally considering would not be suitable for fitting in or on the motorhome, because of their limited foldability [the frontwheel folds back on itself and thats about it ] . so unless i go for one of the expensive £1500 + jobbies that seem to completely fold up enough to fit in a bag my idea is dead in the water ! oh well back to the drawing board !! garry

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
We picked up second hand Di Blasi one for our daughter we paid £400 for it so there are bargains out there.
regards Kate

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back