folding tricycle advice !

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by greyman1, Mar 9, 2014.

1. greyman1

greyman1 Read Only Funster

as my other half is not confident on two wheels, i am looking into the feasability of getting her a adult tricycle . ive noticed that some are made to fold up. has anyone had any experience with them and are they practical enough to fit on the back of a motorhome rack or do they need a trailer of sorts ? cheers garry

2. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

What sort of trike are you after? There is a whole range of recumbent trikes, some very high tech but they do come at a price. One of these went to the South Pole recently: http://www.icetrikes.co. And they fold up but are still bulky unless you take the wheels off.

3. greyman1

just a basic bike with 3 wheels that she can use to ride on cycle paths etc, alongside me on my bike when we are away . the cheapest ive seen advertised are VIKING ones on ebay at about £380 . but if i have to start towing a motorbike trailer to transport it i may as well just take the fireblade !!

4. artemis

artemis

Folding trike

Have you looked at "Di Blasi" trikes. They have a website showing how they fold. They are expensive but you can pick them up on eBay. I purchased an electric one on eBay around Christmas but have not seen it yet as have been in India for the winter and my daughter picked it up.
    I am hoping it will give me back the confidence I lost riding a two wheeler. I was ok on cycle paths but hated traffic.
    We will be home next weekend so will soon be able to try it out.
    Elizabeth:Cool:

• Like Like x 1
  5. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I can't think you can get a trike which folds up small like a "normal" two wheeled bike can. Some of the expensive recumbents will fit into a car boot, but that is about as small as they get:

[​IMG]

Cycling lessons might be cheaper!

6. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

7. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

The Di Blasi trike is very neat. 1600 Euros before any extras.

8. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Another alternative would be to put some stabilisers on her bike, you can get adult ones:

stabilisers]

:thumb:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  9. ericonabike

ericonabike Read Only Funster

Try before you buy - cornering on a trike is a skill in itself. As others have said, the only folding trikes I can recall are recumbents - massively stable, but not, I suspect what you are looking for. As for stabilisers - forget it! They make a bike more, not less difficult to ride. The trend for kids now, thankfully, is to ride 'balance bikes' with no pedals or propulsion other than feet on floor. And that's a good way for an adult to get confidence too - take the pedals off, lower the seat, and get the hang of balancing and braking without worrying about propulsion!

Personally, I'd think again about the problem and look for different solutions.

• Like Like x 1
  10. dna

dna Funster

Di Blasi

After asking for advice on Fun, we did buy a Di Blasi for my visually impaired step daughter who is now 18 so wanted an adult sized bike. They are very expensive but do fold up into a very compact unit which fits into a zip up bag. (Being registered disabled did save the VAT on the purchase)
    We carry this inside our van as we have two "normal" bikes on the bike rack.

She can keep up a good pace on this bike and enjoys it much more than the Freedom trike she used to use.

There is a video at http://www.diblasi.co.uk/download/DiBlasiVideo/R32-R34.mp4 showing how these trikes fold. They come with mud guards, 5 speed gears and dynamo lights.

Hope this helps

Attached Files:

11. greyman1

thanks everyone ,it looks like the basic ones i was originally considering would not be suitable for fitting in or on the motorhome, because of their limited foldability [the frontwheel folds back on itself and thats about it ] . so unless i go for one of the expensive £1500 + jobbies that seem to completely fold up enough to fit in a bag my idea is dead in the water ! oh well back to the drawing board !! garry

12. Ambilkate

Ambilkate Funster Life Member

We picked up second hand Di Blasi one for our daughter we paid £400 for it so there are bargains out there.
    regards Kate