Folding bikes

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by Richgj, May 26, 2014.

1. Richgj

Richgj Funster

Hi does any one use a folding bike and if so do they have any recommendations. Many thanks Rich

2. ericonabike

ericonabike Read Only Funster

More info on their intended purpose would be helpful - I have a Dahon Presto Lite folder, which has 12" wheels, that I use for train journeys. Bromptons are the ubiquitous folders, as their folded size is unmatched, but at around £800 they are pricey for occasional use. There's an old saying about bike buying: strong, light, cheap - choose any two!

3. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Yep, strong, light and cheap. Any two from three. I used a folder many moons ago when at Uni and traveled hundreds of miles on it. Once took it in the train to London and cycled out to see my then boyfriend (now my husband of 34 years) who lived in Reading.

The choice today is staggering. Take your time and try them out until you find one that suits you.

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I asked this question almost FIVE years ago :Laughing:.. I was considering a Brompton..

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/motorhome-chat/16984-brompton-folding-bicycle.html

I never bought a folder.. in the end bought full size.. however, I was impressed by this suggestion from Savantuk ..

Mezzo Folding Bike .. a review

[​IMG]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfsdyi13pRI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfsdyi13pRI[/ame]

5. Richgj

Richgj Funster

Thank you I'm really only looking for short distances up to 5 miles and mainly to ride alongside a regatta course yelling encouragement to my daughter as she races on the water. Longest distance is 1000 metres but we when's there two of them in a k2 I can't keep up.

Plus when's she's not racing one of the other children could use it

6. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

I don't have one, but I see them coming up at auction for very reasonable prices, so you might consider that as a possible source if you don't mind second hand.

7. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

Folding bikes are a bit like motorhomes - always a compromise.

At a max ride length of 5 miles, you can afford to compromise on the ride & then decide what is more important - the ease of the fold, the folded size, the weight & the price.

Can't really narrow the choice down until you have those factors listed in order of priority.

Start by measuring up the space where you would store it inside.
    Then if it's awkward to lift it in & out, or if you are short of payload anyway, the weight becomes significant.

After that, the folding mechanism & the price come into the equation.

8. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Put an electric motor on the Mezzo and we're sorted!

9. PeteDenton

PeteDenton Read Only Funster

I am now on my 2nd Tern folding bike for commuting - loved the first one so much I got another as back-up!

They do:

• 20" wheels (light weight and relatively small to store but best on tarmac or similar good quality surfaces)
    • 24" wheels (relatively uncommon wheel size, a bit bigger to store but ride more like a full size bike)
    • 26" wheels (don't fold as small but closest to a standard bike)
    Their range includes relatively cheap (£350) o the high end (best part of £2,000!).

Available from Evans in the UK - but rumour is maybe not for much longer. The Tern website gives a deal finder directory.

Hope this helps.

Pete

10. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

The real question is electric or non-electric.