Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We are looking for a couple of fold up chairs. Must be comfy!
Just the fold flat type, not the ones that go in a bag.
Any suggestions?
Allan

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We have Lafuma chairs. Very comfy, well made, light and fold very nearly flat. Pricey but worth it for us.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We used director chairs for several years. The built-in tables were handy but lack of reclining ability meant they were less comfortable than required sometimes. We had a look round, trying various chairs, at the Peterborough Show last year but failed to find anything we really liked.

We subsequently went round local shops. Go Outdoors (it does have its uses) had some Lafuma Cham Elips Padded Recliners which were perfect for us but very expensive. Looking on-line after coming home we found them a fair bit cheaper so bought mail order.

One tip if looking at directors chairs. Some have the back fabric connected to the seat (which, supposedly, stops draughts) but the seat depth is shorter than those that have the seat and back fabric pieces separate.

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
We have Lafuma chairs. Very comfy, well made, light and fold very nearly flat. Pricey but worth it for us.

I bought lafuma.......and sent them back.

being a big lad......( 6ft 2ins ) and "big boned" I noticed that the material sagged. Then I read somewhere there was a weight limit on the chairs...pointed this out to the dealer who was not aware and they gave me my money back.

So OK if you are a lightweight....but if you are a heavyweight....don't bother.

In the end we bought Dukdalf simple really well made and strong.......
Expensive but they are truly feather weight....very impressed.

barry

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Another vote for lafuma recliners, we bought 2 cheapest price was on Amazon £75 each. Sadly bright yellow! But at half price a bargin.

There are 3 sorts of lafuma recliners, padded, strung or clipped, the padded are super comfy but aren't waterproof, can't be washed and are more prone to fading. But you do gain some protection from wind.

The strung mesh recliners are lighter, again very comfortable, waterproof but the strings need replacing after a few years @ £35.

The lafuma clip system is a mesh based seat which clips onto the frame, these are as comfortable as the others, waterproof and can be removed for washing.

The recliners also come in 2 different sizes, standard and xl for taller (over 6'1") and sturdier built peps.

We went for standard size clipped seat and Martin although 6'2" finds them fine, I then made a fabric slip cover and a bag to store them in.

I see you have an autosleeper, check the sizes for storage as ours don't fit under our bench bed/seats, we either secure them just inside the hab door or in a waterproof bag on the bike rack.

I did loads of research and traipsed around and although expensive they are worth every penny because of the weight and comfort.

Another chair lafuma does is reclining but without the leg bit, I'll try and do a link. :thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Lafumas are fine as a lounger, but if you dine outside they are the next best thing to useless for sitting at a table. Dukdalf are comfortable, light and with the foot extension can be used as a lounger. My Dukdalfs are now 9 years old and although get more use than my easy chair at home, are still going strong.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Lafumas are fine as a lounger, but if you dine outside they are the next best thing to useless for sitting at a table. Dukdalf are comfortable, light and with the foot extension can be used as a lounger. My Dukdalfs are now 9 years old and although get more use than my easy chair at home, are still going strong.

We couldn't find a uk stockist.

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
we have two sorts, lafumas for lounging in comfort, or director chairs if we want to eat outside and also useful for meeting up with others as we use the ones with the side tables

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Chairs

Hi, Allanm take a look at the thule chairs I will be getting them when my lafuma ones are knacked they were very comfortable at the last show I was at they were on the Lowdhams stand :Smile:

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Thanks all, I like the look of the Dukdalf but would be better if we could try them out first.
Certainly food for thought.
Allan

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
We use Isabella Comfort chairs.

I've also bought two footstools when we want to put our feet up. The stools have a dual function as occasional seating.

Isabella furniture is very well made and light. They sell for around £63/chair but are worth it in our view.

Broken Link Removed

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
Thanks all, I like the look of the Dukdalf but would be better if we could try them out first.
Certainly food for thought.
Allan

:thumb:
Our Dukdalf are also very comfy. Have had them about 10 yrs now lots of use :roflmto: :beerchug: :ROFLMAO:
apart from replacing a couple of screws no other probs.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
There ya go. http://www.idealo.co.uk/cat/15198F1755776/camping-furniture.html

I have the Limbo with the sampler footrest.

We have the sampler footrests too.
The chair we went for is the cheapest shown here with a continuous bar between the legs.........this means than individual legs will not sink into soft ground. Incredibly light adjustable and has been pointed out.work well as a chair to sit and eat at the table...and with the "sampler" leg extension converts to a lounger.
Generally one of those purchases you look back on ..and think ...yes we got that one right.

barry

Last edited:

oldmanriver

Free Member
May 24, 2013
gillingham kent
Funster No
MH
autotrail comanche
Exp
im a newbie
we looked at some cheap chairs but always found they are smaller than the more expensive ones, you get what you pay for

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Another vote for mesh type Lafuma chairs and yes the elastic laces do give up after a few years but buy shock cord from Countrywide stores, I think it's about £11 for a roll, that's enough to do the chairs about 5 times.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Agree about the Lafumas , they are also quite heavy and bulky .. we use ours in the garden now.

The best chairs we ever had and still use are a pair of Lallemand .. the frame is aluminium,
so they are light, the fold flat and are very compact.. easy to carry to the beach ..

we bought them in 1995 .. and they are still as good as new.. but sadly afaik Lalleman are no longer trading.. I think they may have been bought out by Lafuma ..

The look very like your Dukdalds Dave .. and as I recall were about £50 each almost 20 years ago.

I recall saying to Jan when I bought them..buy good quality, buy once.. and so it has proved to be the case.. almost 20 years of hard use.. three years full timing included..

First pic. in around 1995 on the beach at St Agnes , Cornwall

Second pic. .. Norfolk camping last year..same chairs.. never recovered or any other maintenance.. probably outlast me ..

Attachments

• 2-img009-2(1).jpg
    2-img009-2(1).jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 1-DSC_7211(1).jpg
    1-DSC_7211(1).jpg
    95 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have just realised my Dukdalfs are not 9 years old but 11. Prior to the Dukdalfs I had Lafuma, but as they were so uncomfortable when sitting at the table or sitting upright reading I carried another chair for this. After replacing several bungies in the Lafumas I gave up with them and bought the Dukdalfs. The first photo shows a group of hard core campers and as you notice the first 4 from the left are all Dukdalf. The other photos are of Dukdalfs doing what they do best :Cool:.

Attachments

• 100_0165.jpg
    100_0165.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Morocco 171.jpg
    Morocco 171.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 32
  • Morocco 152.jpg
    Morocco 152.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Morocco 144.jpg
    Morocco 144.jpg