Jun 11, 2012
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
Good evening,
Do any funsters have/use fold down bikes?
Are they okay to use/store?

Was thinking of getting his 'n' hers for the motorhome trips away and help with fitness, sat in front of a computer most of the day at work has taken it's toll.

Many thanks for any feedback
Steve

:active:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Looking forward to answers as we have a pair but never really used them but are going to try to use them this trip(next week0.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i have a fold down electric bike. not quite what you want but the principal is the same.

most folders have a max of 20" wheels and mine folds down to about 800mm long x 300mm wide x 650 high. goes into a bag then fits nicely into a side locker as i dont have or want a rear bike rack.

when[STRIKE] errected[/STRIKE] :Blush: unfolded they are a bit odd shaped. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Like many funsters we dealt with these people on this bike. His'n'hers, fabulous bikes. Pedal as much or as little as you like.

Make sure you buy the 36volt though.............Griff

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We have two Brompton folders, they are not cheap but they are probably the best :Blush:

We use them every day for rides up to about 30 miles or so (usually only 10 to 15). They fold down in about 10 seconds and unfold in about 12

Many folders simply do not fold down small enough to be practical or are too fiddly and time consuming to bother with.

We bought our bikes 7 years ago in Jersey when we were cruising on our yacht so we bought them to use when ashore. We have ridden many thousands of miles on them and quite frankly we would not be without them

They are very easy and delightful to ride and very comfortable.

(our other bikes are Crosstrail Hybrids and they are MASSIVE by comparison, but the Bromptons still remain our favourites :Smile:::bigsmile::thumb:

(forgot to say they take up very little room in the back of the van and no one can 'nick em':thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
We bought a cheap folder from Halfords. Really it is quite heavy but robust build.

Nowhere near as good as the Brompton though!

Steve

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Love my brompton

The Brompton folds down small enough to go under the dinette table and is soooooo easy to fold up/down. Make certain you get one with a rear rack if you need one as they cannot be retro-fitted, a mistake I made, as the Brompton bag which clips on the front is not really large enough for a six pack and bottle of wine - oh, and some other shopping!

nigglynelly

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Decathlon sell folding bikes which may be worth checking out if you have a store near you. I have a Brompton and it is brilliant, comfortable to ride and folds very easily but I had to wait ages for it to be delivered.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We had a pair of relatively inexpensive "keep fit" folders from Go Outdoors. Gwen struggled up hills (even gentle slopes) and with head winds as they only had 6 gears.
We then bought a pair of electric folders from AS Bikes and are very happy with em. The only drawback is that they are a little on the heavy side so I use up plenty of calories getting them in and out of the garage. If you are going to put them in a garage rather than on a bike rack make sure the garage door is big enough. Our only just fit through the near side garage door on our Rapido.
BTW our two older folders have been recycled and have found loving homes with other Funsters.

OP
OP
durhamahoy

durhamahoy

Free Member
Jun 11, 2012
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
Like many funsters we dealt with these people on this bike. His'n'hers, fabulous bikes. Pedal as much or as little as you like.

Make sure you buy the 36volt though.............Griff

These do look the business, initial expense but I think they are exactly whar we are after.
Cheers
Steve
:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back