fogging up in cold weather while driving (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we had a real odd event yesterday, driving down M1 just going dark, already around 0-1deg C then the snow started.

first thing I was aware of was odd misting up at the point where the wiper blades stop at top of sweep (in my case vertical) then the misting started spreading all over the screen

we turned on blowers to full, aimed everything at screen, turned air con on an off (TBH we dont really know which is on or off, red light on or off?) even set side vents to a demist option

we have a Mercedes sprinter based Hymer, registered 09, built on a 07 chassis

the only way we could keep driving was with Bev clearing the screen with the Karcher every few minutes

the problem was far worse at slow speeds

being totally nontechnical I really do not have a clue

Now at Formula 1 Poole, going for an aircon regas, trying the obvious and simplest first, they cant even find anywhere to connect to, so no further forward

any ideas anybody

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Assuming the aircon is functioning, aircon ON & set to hot should help as it dehumidifies & also ensure air recirculation setting is set to outside air

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It just sounds like you went into a very, very cold patch and the screen just could keep up with the hot air hitting the even colder screen ... if you'd opened a window to let some cold air in you'd probably have been okay ... just very, very cold!

Air con can clear screens well but it can take a while so not instantaneous.

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Check air control is not on recirculation, so fresh air from outside of vehicle is entering cab.

Eric

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
had decided to regas anyway at 8 years old and only £45 seemed daft not to, but F1 couldn't find anywhere to connect to

Hey ho

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My merc rapido just has a climate control knob, so the only way to put aircon on is to turn the temperature right down. There is no way to have aircon and heat as far as I can see.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Air con on full fan to screen , keep it on recirculate to exclude cold air entering through the vent.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Air con on full fan to screen , keep it on recirculate to exclude cold air entering through the vent.

You may have noted that earlier answers said "air off recirculating" ie get some fresh air into the place. I believe that the moisture inside the van will be at a higher level than the air coming through the fresh air intake, so recirculating the air will hinder the clearing process.

I'm happy to listen to another explanation :cautious: - Gordon

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
Now at Formula 1 Poole, going for an aircon regas, trying the obvious and simplest first, they cant even find anywhere to connect to, so no further forward

any ideas anybody
The connection on my 316 Sprinter is to the right of the radiator as you open the bonnet looking at the engine near the battery, above the night heater.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
My merc rapido just has a climate control knob, so the only way to put aircon on is to turn the temperature right down. There is no way to have aircon and heat as far as I can see.

With a climate system the air con is always available & will cut in /out depending on temperature set. If you have the temp sky high then it obviously won't work. Most keep the climate temp around 24º as normal & it should keep them clear. As you say though if they do start to mist then drop the temp-to bring a/c in.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
With a climate system the air con is always available & will cut in /out depending on temperature set. If you have the temp sky high then it obviously won't work. Most keep the climate temp around 24º as normal & it should keep them clear. As you say though if they do start to mist then drop the temp-to bring a/c in.
There may be an additional ECO setting which disables the air con, this could be David's red light although it is orange in our IVECO.

Martin

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
It just sounds like you went into a very, very cold patch and the screen just could keep up with the hot air hitting the even colder screen ... if you'd opened a window to let some cold air in you'd probably have been okay ... just very, very cold!

Air con can clear screens well but it can take a while so not instantaneous.

Bev did suggest the open window idea and I poo pooed her yesterday, will do you as well now, but only because you didn't know we had an A class, (y), even if you might be right, I now need to defend my corner with Bev :)

Bevs window slides mine is electric but the snow was coming more or less straight at my window, especially when we slowed down

I will try it if the same set of circumstances ever reoccur, very unlikely as we rarely travel in the dark and would normally avoid bad weather (y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You may have noted that earlier answers said "air off recirculating" ie get some fresh air into the place. I believe that the moisture inside the van will be at a higher level than the air coming through the fresh air intake, so recirculating the air will hinder the clearing process.

I'm happy to listen to another explanation :cautious: - Gordon
Running the air con on recirculate will dry the air inside the van as it drops its moisture as it goes over the cold evaporator section (puddle underneath in summer when air con on), but saying that the air outside at 0 deg would be pretty dry anyway so I would have thought a good blast of that would be as good.

I think the trick is to start blowing onto the screen As soon as there is a problem, or earlier if possible, snow sitting on the screen is the worst!

Martin

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we definitely had recirc off and only have a basic manual air con option

defaults to red light off, which I now take to be air con off from above posts

no issues at all today though, temp around 3C, Karchered the condensation off, engine and fans cleared rest in about a minute as normal, but we didn't have the light on the air con this morning

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@DavidG58 Essenjay are 1/2 mile down the road from Formula 1. You might be better off calling in to see them. http://www.essanjay.co.uk/index.php/services

Thanks for the link, just rang them, they could do it Monday, but we will be home by then anyway

We now think it was an odd set of circumstance, aggravated as Martin @funflair suggests by not adjusting the setting more quickly which might just have checked it

A drive home in sunshine on Sunday hopefully will have no similar events (y)

now just got to find a site in Poole / New Forest area, any suggestions there @big map :)(y), didn't realise everything would be closed, my look out a CL (y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks for the link, just rang them, they could do it Monday, but we will be home by then anyway

We now think it was an odd set of circumstance, aggravated as Martin @funflair suggests by not adjusting the setting more quickly which might just have checked it

now just got to find a site in Poole / New Forest area, any suggestions there @big map :)(y), didn't realise everything would be closed, my look out a CL (y)
I think Setthorns will be open David. Only about 3 miles from where the meet was.

Edit, open all year, nice spot for walks and dogs, take everything you want as there are no shops near.

Martin

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
For non climate control all you need to do is turn the aircon OFF. You don't need cold air on the screen it will do nothing. Turn the heating on to max and select defrost on the distribution nob, slider or whatever.

If its climate control simply set the temperature a little higher than normal and select defrost, when the screen clears return the setting to automatic. If in doubt the vehicle handbook would give a clue.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"

Wareham forest tourist park, Wareham near Poole

New Forest - Setthorns Forest camping near Brockenhurst

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009

South Lytchett Manor
Merley Court (not sure if this is open all year)
Hunters Moon Wareham
Springfield Touring Park
Sandyballs (some think its expensive but facilities are great)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
For non climate control all you need to do is turn the aircon OFF. You don't need cold air on the screen it will do nothing. Turn the heating on to max and select defrost on the distribution nob, slider or whatever.

If its climate control simply set the temperature a little higher than normal and select defrost, when the screen clears return the setting to automatic. If in doubt the vehicle handbook would give a clue.

I would agree with you, but change would for should in your statement, I can confirm which knob / button is for air con, but it doesn't confirm whether light on or off means air con on or off o_O

I disagree though in part and think air con is normally excellent for demisting (y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
setthorns got it

looked at on line booking, have option for 'larger pitch' thought that might do for trying awning room

put in details £28.50, not the end of the world but seemed a lot when pitches for 2 adults start from £12, reduced pitch to 'standard' but still suitable for our 8m declared length, now £18 (y)

a couple more beers in the pub later :):)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Enjoy your well earned break!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
setthorns got it

looked at on line booking, have option for 'larger pitch' thought that might do for trying awning room

put in details £28.50, not the end of the world but seemed a lot when pitches for 2 adults start from £12, reduced pitch to 'standard' but still suitable for our 8m declared length, now £18 (y)

a couple more beers in the pub later :):)
If you just turn up David they are really nice people in the office.

Martin

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I would agree with you, but change would for should in your statement, I can confirm which knob / button is for air con, but it doesn't confirm whether light on or off means air con on or off o_O

I disagree though in part and think air con is normally excellent for demisting (y)

light on = air con

Sometimes the High & low pressure connectors can be difficult to spot. I had to do my car earlier in the year & even though I knew where they were I couldn't findthem to start with.:LOL:

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
for demisting

Pullover, fit exterior silver screens, heating on, open bottle of malt and enjoy, sleep it off, wake up, problem either solved or it doesn't matter just finish the bottle, carry onward and upwards !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back