Fog Lights (1 Viewer)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Properly fitted front fog lights shouldn't dazzle as they produce a flat beam close to the ground so it doesn't reflect off the fog. A lot of those that have them on all the time are boy racers who probably fitted them themselves and could be pointing anywhere.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Good job the car in the ASDA advert is not on the roads.

AK47, small bore, need something that makes a statement.....:xblush:

Remington 12 shot Pump action Large Bore, with Buckshot????

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
with modern technology in cars,
put fog lights on cars only does 40mph,

watch em turn em off then double quick,:whistle::whistle::xThumb:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
If fogs are used then some one doesn't notice when not needed they are driving without due care.

Thats why you have warning lights on the dash :)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I solved the "behind" problem years ago. mirror film tint . Just blinds the people behind you whilst leaving you oblivious to their lights even if they put them on full beam.
Always fitted it on every vehicle I used & my works vans.
I got pulled up by a traffic policeman whilst driving my Mini pick-up. He accused me of purposely dazzling him behind me with my mirror,
I practically told him he was a PXXt and that the dazzling was his full beam headlights in my flat upright rear screen going straight back to him and if HE had dipped HIS headlights HE would not have been dazzled. It was not me but himself that did it. He ended up warning ME not to do it again and drove off. He had to have the last word and to not be seen to climb down.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Unfortunately your theory fails at the first; since when did wealth align with intelligence?

Sadly the converse is more usually true.

(...and anyone stupid enough to buy a new car probably just can't find the switch :cautious:)

Or the indicator lever.!!

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I only discovered that I had fog lights on the van the other day after 12 years of ownership. Because they are integral with the headlights I'd never noticed them and assumed it hadn't got any so never tried switching them on :xdoh:
On my Jag you can't switch the fog lights on without the headlights and the rear foglights will only come on when the front foglights are on. They both go off when the headlights are turned off and won't come back on again until you make a conscious decision to select them.

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
I have always been led to believe automatics should not be left in drive if stationary for longer than ( from memory ) 30 seconds as it can cause extra wear on the brake bands..
The brake bands shouldn't wear but the torque converter is working overtime trying to pass the power from the engine to the transmission and in the process is causing the transmission oil to heat up. Simply wasting fuel.

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
Fog lights on many modern cars with xenon headlights are a total waste of time, you can't even tell they are on due to them being overpowered by the xenons.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Fog lights on many modern cars with xenon headlights are a total waste of time, you can't even tell they are on due to them being overpowered by the xenons.
but if you are using front fog light then your headlights shouldn't be on ?:( That's the idea of fog lights. used in fog on their own :xThumb:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I only discovered that I had fog lights on the van the other day after 12 years of ownership. Because they are integral with the headlights I'd never noticed them and assumed it hadn't got any so never tried switching them on :xdoh:
On my Jag you can't switch the fog lights on without the headlights and the rear foglights will only come on when the front foglights are on. They both go off when the headlights are turned off and won't come back on again until you make a conscious decision to select them.
fog lights should come on when side lights are on. There is no point having fog lights if they only work with headlights on dip.
waste of time . Hedlights on dip bounce back off the fog wall. That's why you use fog lights only as being down on the road they don't bounce off the wall of fog & give you a chance of spotting something & a split second to react.:xsmile:

barista

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato based coach built
Exp
With the controlled focus and cut-off with Xenons and even more so with LED headlights they are, as you say, completely redundant.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
theres a neutral on an automatic and hand brake should be applied when ever you stop
It may just be a Scarborough phenomenon, but by the time you slip back into drive, let the handbrake off and get moving the f###ing lights are back to red.

My car has a foot operated parking brake with a release lever under the dash....so the time it takes to do the above is incorrect.....the lights have gone to red then back to green again.

I always have, and always will, hold on the service brake.

barista

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato based coach built
Exp
The brake bands shouldn't wear but the torque converter is working overtime trying to pass the power from the engine to the transmission and in the process is causing the transmission oil to heat up. Simply wasting fuel.
But they don't all have torque converters!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Amazes me, especially at this time of year, how many people drive in town at night and NEVER look at their instruments.

These are the idiots who set off without any lights.....you cant see the clocks clearly without lights.
I followed one for around 1/2 mile before they turned off....still without lights dispite being flashed more than once.

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
It may just be a Scarborough phenomenon, but by the time you slip back into drive, let the handbrake off and get moving the f###ing lights are back to red.

My car has a foot operated parking brake with a release lever under the dash....so the time it takes to do the above is incorrect.....the lights have gone to red then back to green again.

I always have, and always will, hold on the service brake.
On a Totally different subject, North bay fisheries is the best in the world!, just a pity the town is not very motorhome friendly.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
They can only be legally used with headlights on.
Err no , completely wrong.
See 2, B (ii)

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/regulation/25/made

With the controlled focus and cut-off with Xenons and even more so with LED headlights they are, as you say, completely redundant.
So when you have visibility of less than 2-3m to the extent that you have to lean out the window to see where the white line is the wonderful zenons are doing what ? apart from blinding you to the possibility of something in front. That's why fogs ,with sidelights only allow you the best possible chance of not being hit/hitting anything.

barista

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato based coach built
Exp
Err no , completely wrong.
See 2, B (ii)

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/regulation/25/made

So when you have visibility of less than 2-3m to the extent that you have to lean out the window to see where the white line is the wonderful zenons are doing what ? apart from blinding you to the possibility of something in front. That's why fogs ,with sidelights only allow you the best possible chance of not being hit/hitting anything.
That's why with LED headlights you don't have front fogs, they are unnecessary apparently.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
But they don't all have torque converters!
Those that don't have a conventional gearbox and clutch (sometimes two) controlled electronically. Putting one of those into P or N when stopped in traffic is a waste of time.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
That's why with LED headlights you don't have front fogs, they are unnecessary apparently.
They're unnecessary anyway. Foglights used to be of use before headlamp dip beams with a sharp cut-off became available. Rear foglights were handy when rear lights were like fag-ends. Neither problem exists these days so both front & rear fogs are unnecessary.

barista

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato based coach built
Exp
Those that don't have a conventional gearbox and clutch (sometimes two) controlled electronically. Putting one of those into P or N when stopped in traffic is a waste of time.
Absolutely, also usually in combination with an electro/mechanical handbrake so no need to sit on the pedal.

barista

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato based coach built
Exp
They're unnecessary anyway. Foglights used to be of use before headlamp dip beams with a sharp cut-off became available. Rear foglights were handy when rear lights were like fag-ends. Neither problem exists these days so both front & rear fogs are unnecessary.
Agreed with the fronts but many a time the first thing I've seen is a rear fog light in conditions of extremely poor visibility which is the only time they should be used anyway. Fronts are mainly cosmetic as if they served any useful purpose they would be mandatory.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
No doubt the UK will catch up with the continent where a huge number of vehicles now don't have any sidelight position on the switch so all ancillary lights have to be used with headlights. Sevel owners already know this.

Yes here they are used with dipped beam, which doesn't dip to the right, as an aide to see where the edge of road is and stop falling in the water gulley!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back