Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
I have a theory, those that can afford a new car fitted with fog lights have the intelligence to know how and when to use them, however, when these vehicles are on their 3rd or 4th owner the brain cells of these people are different, many seem to believe fog lights are for use in rain and some for visual enhancement of their pride and joy, and lets not forget to mention those that use them as an alternative to their main lights if one is not working.
Me, I have grown up to believe fog is a dense mist that becomes a serious visual hazard, something I might see in the south once or twice a year, I can only assume my eyesight is so fantastic I can see through most fog, like many cyclists!!

Deleted User
Some motorists must have special vision - the ones who switch their fog lights on because of poor visibility but can see well enough to travel at 70+ on motorways and dual carriageways.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
many seem to believe fog lights are for use in rain

if visibility is seriously reduced.. yes..

Highway Code:

Rule 226
You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236).

Law RVLR regs 25 & 27

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I really enjoy sitting behind those with their foot on the brake when stationary, especially on a wet night.
Oh dear, now I'm off, also those that wait facing oncoming traffic (on my side of the road) with full beam in my face as I struggle to see beyond them

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
I have a theory, those that can afford a new car fitted with fog lights have the intelligence

Unfortunately your theory fails at the first; since when did wealth align with intelligence?

Sadly the converse is more usually true.

(...and anyone stupid enough to buy a new car probably just can't find the switch :cautious:)

OP
OP
Big bus man

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
I really enjoy sitting behind those with their foot on the brake when stationary, especially on a wet night.
Oh dear, now I'm off, also those that wait facing oncoming traffic (on my side of the road) with full beam in my face as I struggle to see beyond them
Unfortunately unless you are going to be stationary for some time it is not practical to put the handbreak on, anyway automatic cars have to sit on the breaks on. My cure for glare is good wipers and a smear free clean of the internal glass.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Unfortunately unless you are going to be stationary for some time it is not practical to put the handbreak on, anyway automatic cars have to sit on the breaks on. My cure for glare is good wipers and a smear free clean of the internal glass.
theres a neutral on an automatic and hand brake should be applied when ever you stop

OP
OP
Big bus man

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
theres a neutral on an automatic and hand brake should be applied when ever you stop
In neutral you can still roll so I guess 'park' is the one you should use but that is the same as using a handbrake, in slow moving queues you would not use your handbrake even if the highway code says you should, we are all rebels :xdoh:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

I have always been led to believe automatics should not be left in drive if stationary for longer than ( from memory ) 30 seconds as it can cause extra wear on the brake bands.. ( Of course this is not the case for tiptronic type boxes only true automatics )

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have a theory................

It's not quite so easy today, how do you tell the difference between a fog light and a daytime running light ?

I think it's a one point offence to use fog lights incorrectly but with no cops probably not many points given.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
The powers that be can make up as many laws, rules and regulations as they like, but as is the case right now there aren't many officials out there to enforce them so the chances of the disrespectful tw@s getting caught sadly are tiny.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
is the case right now there aren't many officials out there to enforce them so the chances of the disrespectful tw@s getting caught sadly are tiny.

I'd say zero..
I drove into Woodbridge last night.. an 8 mile trip on a dark country narrow road with no street lights.. probably passed about 20 cars coming the other way... and THREE had only ONE headlight.. and that's quite common now.. beggars belief that people think it's ok

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I'd say zero..
I drove into Woodbridge last night.. an 8 mile trip on a dark country narrow road with no street lights.. probably passed about 20 cars coming the other way... and THREE had only ONE headlight.. and that's quite common now.. beggars belief that people think it's ok
And that one is off set as well and blinds you!!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I have a theory, those that can afford a new car fitted with fog lights have the intelligence to know how and when to use them, however, when these vehicles are on their 3rd or 4th owner the brain cells of these people are different, many seem to believe fog lights are for use in rain and some for visual enhancement of their pride and joy, and lets not forget to mention those that use them as an alternative to their main lights if one is not working.
Me, I have grown up to believe fog is a dense mist that becomes a serious visual hazard, something I might see in the south once or twice a year, I can only assume my eyesight is so fantastic I can see through most fog, like many cyclists!!

No, there is no difference. If you can see the car behind 's lights then fog lights aren't needed. 100m or less as jim said.

That's why your discs warp. creates a 'hot spot' that doesn't cool equally as the rest.
Stop ,for whatever reason handbrake on. & no auto's don't need to sit with foot on brake pedal. That's just lazy *****.mine is auto. stop, handbrake on .

It's not quite so easy today, how do you tell the difference between a fog light and a daytime running light ?

I think it's a one point offence to use fog lights incorrectly but with no cops probably not many points given.
No sure it is 3 points.

As an aside. I found out by accident that the way to overcome the glare from someone's rear foglights, allowing you to see the brake lights the instant they are used, is to put on full beam. Removes the glare completely. They might not like it but if they don't know how to use them & when to turn on off etc; hard luck.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I'd say zero..
Don't think they even check them to see if they are working!

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
I have always been led to believe automatics should not be left in drive if stationary for longer than ( from memory ) 30 seconds as it can cause extra wear on the brake bands.. ( Of course this is not the case for tiptronic type boxes only true automatics )

When a standard with a torque converter automatic is stationary in gear there is no slip in the transmission the clutches are locked on any slip is in the torque converter after a very long time the fluid could get hot but your foot on the brake will be well tired before that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Big bus man

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Had one the other day, a Citroen Saxo, about 6ft off the bumper of the car in front at around 40mph, a young female no seatbelt and phone in hand which was on against the steering wheel, I know this because I saw here coming in the drizzle with her fogs on :madder:

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
I receive a pension from that period of my life now (but still working). I always treated people's incorrect use of their lights or failed units (under the old con & use regs) as an invitation to chat. The subsequent smell of drink prompted further action and a remarkable number ceased driving for periods up to 3 years. Hope none of my old customers are on here.

Sadly the job has become a degree entry thing recruiting totally unsuitable people who are afraid (with exceptions) to do the job. Hence the lack of plods on the streets, proper traffic policemen (I had a white ice cream salesman's hat when I was in the the car, had to carry it in the pannier when on the old R80), I used to love being on MRP issuing GV9s and chatting to visiting HGV drivers. I never ceased to be amazed how little they knew about their braking systems and with the lack of automatic drains the failure to drain tanks would leave them very oily and black while I stood at a safte distance. Loved checking tachos, all automatic now.

Happy days, it will go full circle but not until the tree hugging, yoghurt knitting, sandal wearing, window licking brigade finally wake up. (I always was amused at their change of approach to offenders after they had be burgled or attacked)

Good to get that off my chest - please resume normal thread, must be time for my medecine. Nurse, nurse ......

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I thought I must be losing it as I find it increasingly difficult to drive at night especially in the wet. I find it difficult to see and take in what is happening as I am dazzled by all and sundry. However I have come to the conclusion it is because the number of vehicle has gone up considerably, the Super bright Xenon headlamps and the LED marker light and the facility to adjust the beam from within. It seems very few people do that and leave on the high setting . I get it from behind in the mirrors, from the front directly and reflected from the road in the wet. Bloody awful and the moron in front that does not know about handbrake and leaves the rear brake lamps lit, probably with a fog light too. Another blinder is the Police cars parked up at an incident with the super bright Strobes going at maximum intensity an a very high flash rate faster than the rate we see at, blinding everyone and his dog, for half a mile back. Good lights are good but too many is not good. It is the shear number of lights hitting you and you are also expected to notice the pedestrians in dark clothing and Cyclists the same, but with no lights either. I try and avoid the rush hour now to get away from the problem.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Im old school if you don't need fogs turn them off.

I have been known to use my rear fogs when some prat comes up behind me with there front fogs on.
I have also put main beam on when the t**ers drive towards me with fogs on, depending of course what the cars are approaching.

Ohh how i miss lots of traffic police patrolling like the good old days.
Safety cameras don't stop these knobs with the fogs on grrr

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I get it from behind in the mirrors, from the front directly and reflected from the road in the wet. .
I solved the "behind" problem years ago. mirror film tint . Just blinds the people behind you whilst leaving you oblivious to their lights even if they put them on full beam.
Always fitted it on every vehicle I used & my works vans.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
One Issue would appear to be that once the switch is ON. people forget that they are ON. So the next time the car is used, they are still ON. What is required is (are) a system similar to a Lock relay. Where once the power is removed (ignition off) the relay locks out the light. requiring the switch to be switched OFF and then on again to reset the lights.

The solution to Cleve`s problem would appear to be the issue of an AK47?

Gus; does the film be affected by the heated Rear screen or not?

Pete

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Good job the car in the ASDA advert is not on the roads.

AK47, small bore, need something that makes a statement.....:xblush:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
That may start to happen more & more (if that's possible:)) because a number of modern cars fitted with automatic start / stop systems rely on a foot on the brake to keep the engine off. Our Smart car does just that.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I thought I must be losing it as I find it increasingly difficult to drive at night especially in the wet. I find it difficult to see and take in what is happening as I am dazzled by all and sundry. However I have come to the conclusion it is because the number of vehicle has gone up considerably, the Super bright Xenon headlamps and the LED marker light and the facility to adjust the beam from within. It seems very few people do that and leave on the high setting . I get it from behind in the mirrors, from the front directly and reflected from the road in the wet. Bloody awful and the moron in front that does not know about handbrake and leaves the rear brake lamps lit, probably with a fog light too. Another blinder is the Police cars parked up at an incident with the super bright Strobes going at maximum intensity an a very high flash rate faster than the rate we see at, blinding everyone and his dog, for half a mile back. Good lights are good but too many is not good. It is the shear number of lights hitting you and you are also expected to notice the pedestrians in dark clothing and Cyclists the same, but with no lights either. I try and avoid the rush hour now to get away from the problem.
Front & rear foglights (IMO) date back to when headlights had no definite dip cut-off and rear lights were like burning cigarettes. Neither problem exists these days & some thought should be given to removing what are (again IMO) redundant lights from new cars. Mind you I also think that sidelights are enough on well lit streets for the very reason you suggest - headlights hide pedestrians & cyclists.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Not much difference between DLR lights and foglights , at least foglights have a low cut off beam so dont dazzle but some DLR lights are very bright .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back