Fog Lights

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Big bus man, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Big bus man

Big bus man

I have a theory, those that can afford a new car fitted with fog lights have the intelligence to know how and when to use them, however, when these vehicles are on their 3rd or 4th owner the brain cells of these people are different, many seem to believe fog lights are for use in rain and some for visual enhancement of their pride and joy, and lets not forget to mention those that use them as an alternative to their main lights if one is not working.
    Me, I have grown up to believe fog is a dense mist that becomes a serious visual hazard, something I might see in the south once or twice a year, I can only assume my eyesight is so fantastic I can see through most fog, like many cyclists!!

• Like Like x 3
  2. Borderland

Borderland Funster

Some motorists must have special vision - the ones who switch their fog lights on because of poor visibility but can see well enough to travel at 70+ on motorways and dual carriageways.

• Like Like x 7
  3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

if visibility is seriously reduced.. yes..

Highway Code:

Rule 226
    You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236).

Law RVLR regs 25 & 27

• Like Like x 3
  4. Larby

Larby Funster

I really enjoy sitting behind those with their foot on the brake when stationary, especially on a wet night.
    Oh dear, now I'm off, also those that wait facing oncoming traffic (on my side of the road) with full beam in my face as I struggle to see beyond them

• Like Like x 10
  5. Bacchus

Bacchus Funster

Unfortunately your theory fails at the first; since when did wealth align with intelligence?

Sadly the converse is more usually true.

(...and anyone stupid enough to buy a new car probably just can't find the switch :cautious:)

6. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

At least I have a more general approach, I just hate all other road users and pedestrians
    How very dare they and on my roads too!!!!!!

• Like Like x 7
  7. Big bus man

Big bus man

Unfortunately unless you are going to be stationary for some time it is not practical to put the handbreak on, anyway automatic cars have to sit on the breaks on. My cure for glare is good wipers and a smear free clean of the internal glass.

8. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

theres a neutral on an automatic and hand brake should be applied when ever you stop

• Like Like x 6
  9. Big bus man

Big bus man

In neutral you can still roll so I guess 'park' is the one you should use but that is the same as using a handbrake, in slow moving queues you would not use your handbrake even if the highway code says you should, we are all rebels :xdoh:

10. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I have always been led to believe automatics should not be left in drive if stationary for longer than ( from memory ) 30 seconds as it can cause extra wear on the brake bands.. ( Of course this is not the case for tiptronic type boxes only true automatics )

11. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

It's not quite so easy today, how do you tell the difference between a fog light and a daytime running light ?

I think it's a one point offence to use fog lights incorrectly but with no cops probably not many points given.

12. Badknee

Badknee Funster

The powers that be can make up as many laws, rules and regulations as they like, but as is the case right now there aren't many officials out there to enforce them so the chances of the disrespectful tw@s getting caught sadly are tiny.

• Like Like x 3
  13. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I'd say zero..
    I drove into Woodbridge last night.. an 8 mile trip on a dark country narrow road with no street lights.. probably passed about 20 cars coming the other way... and THREE had only ONE headlight.. and that's quite common now.. beggars belief that people think it's ok

14. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

And that one is off set as well and blinds you!!

15. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

No, there is no difference. If you can see the car behind 's lights then fog lights aren't needed. 100m or less as jim said.

That's why your discs warp. creates a 'hot spot' that doesn't cool equally as the rest.
    Stop ,for whatever reason handbrake on. & no auto's don't need to sit with foot on brake pedal. That's just lazy *****.mine is auto. stop, handbrake on .

No sure it is 3 points.

As an aside. I found out by accident that the way to overcome the glare from someone's rear foglights, allowing you to see the brake lights the instant they are used, is to put on full beam. Removes the glare completely. They might not like it but if they don't know how to use them & when to turn on off etc; hard luck.

• Like Like x 1
  16. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

No I'm wrong , been changed to £50 non -endorsable.

17. Speve

Speve Funster

Don't think they even check them to see if they are working!

18. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

Old Mo doesn't bother with fog lights, he just gets the bloke with the flag to walk four steps further ahead :)

• Like Like x 3
  19. Steve N Tracy

Steve N Tracy Funster

When a standard with a torque converter automatic is stationary in gear there is no slip in the transmission the clutches are locked on any slip is in the torque converter after a very long time the fluid could get hot but your foot on the brake will be well tired before that.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Big bus man

Big bus man

Had one the other day, a Citroen Saxo, about 6ft off the bumper of the car in front at around 40mph, a young female no seatbelt and phone in hand which was on against the steering wheel, I know this because I saw here coming in the drizzle with her fogs on :madder: