Focus Stacking

Discussion in 'Photography' started by John Laidler, Aug 30, 2016.

1. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I have taken the plunge and ordered a macro lens for my camera and it arrives tomorrow. :clap2:

So before I start boring you all with close ups of fly's bottoms I thought I would have a play with one of the techniques sometimes used in macro photography - focus stacking.

Here is a photograph taken with a "normal" lens of a metal screwdriver thingy.

P8300043-cropped.jpg

As expected only part of the object is in focus. Of course there will be times when this is the effect you want but if for example I was trying to sell this screwdriver thingy on eBay a slightly better picture which showed the whole object would be needed.

This is where focus stacking comes in. The trick is to take the first photograph with the front of the image in focus then move the focus ring a tad and take another shot with the in-focus bit slightly further back.

I took nine photographs in total which I then processed in Photoshop CC using the automated functions it has for blending all the images together while selecting only the bits which are in focus.

This is the final image it spewed out after a few minutes of thinking to itself and a bit of button pressing by me.

Stacked.jpg

No skill on my part whatsoever, Photoshop did all the work and I just followed the instructions I found here: http://photography.tutsplus.com/articles/focus-stacking-made-easy-with-photoshop--photo-12621

There are options to correct distortion in Photoshop which I didn't use and I took the photos quite quickly and I think I should have bracketed the focusing a bit more - the far end of the screwdriver isn't quite in focus I think, but I'm happy with it for a first effort.

I guess I now need to issue a warning that not only will I now be boring you with images of fly's bottoms - they are going to show the whole of the bottom in focus! :)

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

And with a bit more tweaking to make it look brighter.

Stacked raw.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  3. WillH

WillH Funster

My wife has got one of them, not the lens, the screwdriver. Uses it to fix her sewing machine, £1 in Maplins.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

If she ever wants to sell it on eBay - I have a picture!

• Funny Funny x 5
  5. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

I know it's not the done thing on this forum, but you've spelled "hole" with a "W" there :D

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Shhhhh don't tell everyone. That's an industry secret. :cautious:

People pay loads to get stuff like that done. We don't want them finding out how easy it is for them to do it themselves (y):D

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Oops! I shall shut up then. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Go Humberto!

Go Humberto! Funster

Back to your original post....

I used Focus Stacking here. I wanted it sharp from front to back. a Mottidfont Bluebells h 1920x1080.jpg (Tripod required naturally).

Actually one of the few real advantages of a camera-phone is their incredible depth of field (not normally something you need or want). They can make excellent macro tools though.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Zains Pops

Zains Pops Funster

Very disappointed with this thread, I thought it was to going to show some Ford Focus's arranged in an artistic fashion.
    Instead it's all about a screwdriver
    Wierd site this......you never know what your reading.

• Funny Funny x 4
  10. MikeD

MikeD Funster

Out of interest what macro lens have u picked?

11. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

It's the Olympus 60mm f2.8. I haven't had much opportunity to play with it yet though.

• Like Like x 1
  12. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Well, I've learnt a new trick today - thank you. I have a Micro Nikkor 105mm f2.8 lens that I bought to go with a 35mm camera but now I use it occasionally on a SLR digital. As it's not a full frame SLR this means the lens is effectively a 157mm which gets to better than 1:1 reproduction.
    In the past I have relied on small apertures and bags of light for macro photography. Here is an old example that was taken on 35mm film in strong evening light but you would not know it from the blackness of the background. I used two high powered flashes mounted either side of the camera to get enough light on the subject.
    Red-tailed Bumblebee 2.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  13. kcy

kcy Funster

I've just had a light bulb moment.
    Daughter and I are in the car some time ago and Sally traffic reported problems on the A something at Plympton Devon, I said "I know Plympton"
    Jill said no you don't Aunty Mary lives in Brixham. So I shut up!
    And guess what. I knew I'd heard it somewhere!
    Ok back to the camera;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. kcy

kcy Funster

Wow!

15. Go Humberto!

Go Humberto! Funster

If the Bee moves between shots you won't be able to Focus-Stack (well you will but you will most likely get "ghosting")

I learned from a (my favourite) Youtube presenter. Gavin Hoey. I learned so much from his fantastic instructional videos. Here is his one on Focus-Stacking that i always refer to.

>>>> Gavin Hoey Video <<<<

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1