Flying flags .. be careful not to offend.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by scotjimland, Mar 3, 2012.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Like many I have a collection of flags ... Scotland, Union Flag, USA, France, Spain, Morocco and few more..
    However, I have always been careful not to offend, and if flying the Saltire abroad would fly it bellow the nations own flag .. just as a matter of courtesy to my host nation.

What brought this to mind was a story I read today from Morocco where a man was jailed for six months flying the Israel flag .. .. seems a bit harsh.. so be ultra careful in Morocco ..

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4197729,00.html

• Like Like x 3
  2. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

That is why when in boat we always run up the national colours

In a boat you always run up the national flag or the country you are visiting then your own one.

When in the RV in France/Spain I tend not to fly any flags to save any issues.

On sites I have the Texas State Flag, the Confederate States Flag, the United States flag, the Union Jack, the yellow supporting our troops and I have an unused RVOC which is so thick I may use as a table cloth or try and flog it at a profit... Must have gone up in value since last year:Sad:

Different height flag poles dictates which get the higher rating (normally Texas).

Bob

3. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

cor how would we manage then if we took our van there?

http://s904.photobucket.com/albums/...iew&current=Image0051-1-1.jpg&t=1330769081577

4. scotjimland

Yes, I tend to agree, I wouldn't normally fly while stopping on an aire or small site.. however while staying long term on a Spanish site it was great to see all the different flags from around Europe..
    I flew the Saltire below the Spanish flag .. this of course advertises where you are from and I had lots of 'guests' coming in and asking about Scotland and if I wore a kilt.. :Laughing:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Red Sonja

Red Sonja Funster

I have two flags a Fun Flag and a Donegal Flag.

We bought a Union Jack Flag for Kevin's best friend in Sweden. He was allowed to fly it on his birthday. On other days they had the Swedish flag flying. It was the only other country I have been to besides the USA that have flag poles in nearly every property and displays the National flag.

The only time it ever happens in this country is when the football is on. Our council have a policy of no flags National or Otherwise.

I think we have a Union Jack indoors (Belongs to eldest Son) and an Irish Tricolour (belongs to my youngest Son).

Sonja

6. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

I have a big flag on my drive..my RV

My RV is the biggest flag I can have.. it sits on the drive at an angle (due to shape of drive) all the world can see it is a Winnebago.. and if they does not sing America, I do not know what does.

I do fly a USA flag on 9-11 each year.

Bob

• Like Like x 1
  7. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Jim, you are absolutly correct , there is a definite etticate to flying flags.

I love to see all flags flying whether they be national, county, clubs or any others.

My biggest gripe is with the Union Flag being flown upsidedown unless of course someone is in distress. I feel that if anyone is proud enough to fly their national flag then they should at least have it correct side up.

I'm sure in some countries it would be an arrestable offence to fly the national flag incorrectly.

Maybe when the Scots leave the Union and the flag has to be changed we will have something less easy to get wrong.

Brian

8. scotjimland

That really winds me up.. see it quite regularly .. even on TV

Not so long ago I was looking at a shop window display that had the Union Flag upside down.. I couldn't stop myself so I went in and pointed out the error to an assistant.. but he didn't understand what I was on about .. :Doh:

Yes, blame the Jocks for such an odd flag ... :Laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  9. icantremember

icantremember Funster

I usually do the same, even at one of the shows a guy selling flags had it upsidedown and when I told him he couldn't see what was wrong:Doh:

Joyce just walks off and leaves me when I spot an offender 'cos she knows what I will do :Rofl1:

The current flag is fine it just needs the addition of an arrow pointing "This side Up":Wink:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

For those that dont know how it should be flown
    HERE

• Like Like x 6
  11. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Thanks Geo. I wasn't aware of this. Always nice to learn new stuff.

I always thought the union jack was equal in all dimensions. I didn't know about counter changing or that it had the flag of northern ireland in it. TBH I didn't know ireland had a flag:Doh:

Thanks for the lesson :Wink::BigGrin:

12. madbluemad

madbluemad

The only flag I ever wave is a white one. :Eek!:
    Jim
    :BigGrin:

13. scotjimland

Also incorrectly called the Union 'Jack'

It is the Union Flag .. only called the Union Jack if flown from the jack staff on a ship or boat.

A jackstaff is a small vertical spar (pole) in the bow of a ship, on which a particular type of flag, known as a jack, is flown. It is from this that the term Union Jack derives

• Like Like x 1
  14. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Thanks Geo,

Just emailed my lot with that link, we have several flying on the forecourt !!!

Peter

15. mondo

mondo Read Only Funster

I learnt the Union Flag one when I was in the scouts..BROAD BAR TO TOP LEFT LAD!!..as for flying flags I flew my Yorkshire Rose when I was in in Peniscola for a few weeks a couple of years ago..(Below the Host nation Flag as per regs!!) that was the centre of much discussion at times...that flag has a has a certain way up to be flown too..I also had on my flagpole..a Union Flag..A Jolly Roger... A small St Georges Flag and a small Vendee Flag..just so everyone knew I was a Brit and a Yorky too!!!..Mind you it did help Dawn to find where the van was when she came out of the shower blocks on any given site too...

16. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Remember too that the Funster Flag when flown upside down is an International Distress Signal

"Funster Out of Beer"

:Rofl1:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  17. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Not everyone gets it right :Rofl1:

[​IMG]

will you explain to her Jim or shall I?

• Like Like x 2
  18. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

I rest my case !!

What a silly effin cow !:Angry:
    Queen ? I prefer Danny la Rue !! And he/she is better looking !!:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Old Mo used to sport a very pretty flag ! Where has that one gone ?????

19. sedge

sedge Funster

Well hang on there Salopian - it's obviously been stuck to the stick the wrong way up and in any case - for all you know, Camilla might have been in distress - were her feet killing her? or was she perchance surrounded by idiots?

:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  20. mondo

mondo Read Only Funster

Well she married one didn't she!!!:Doh:

• Like Like x 2