Fly to Dusseldorf tomorrow. Pick up new van on Thursday.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by bellabee, Aug 4, 2015.

1. bellabee

bellabee Funster

Feeling very nervous and excited. Just getting the packing done and hoping we haven't missed anything vital. The glasses and corkscrew are in there, but Graham thinks we need to pack a spanner so we can disconnect the gas before boarding the return ferry. (A difference in priorities, I guess!)

We're flying to Dusseldorf from B'ham tomorrow evening, staying at an airport hotel, and the dealer is collecting us on Thursday morning.

From there, she's taking us to get the export plates, then back to the dealership for handover of our brand new Hymer Tramp SL 554.

What a leap of faith! We're buying a van unseen, from a dealer we've never met!

Granted, I have done research on them - read feedback on German forums etc - but it's still a bit scary when you send off a large sum of money via an FX company, and it disappears into the ether!

All being well, we'll stay at a campsite close to the dealership on Thursday night, so we can check everything is OK with the van, then do the 2-hour drive up to Dordrecht on Friday morning - very carefully on our 3rd party insurance! According to ADAC, this weekend promises to be one of the busiest on North German and Dutch roads, so we want to miss the weekend traffic.

We're booked on the Rotterdam/Hull ferry on Saturday evening - again, hoping the British roads will be fairly quiet on Sunday morning when we drive our new LHD toy down to the Midlands.

Don't know whether I'm more excited or frightened!

Wish us Luck!

Chris

• Like Like x 11
  2. marcus153

marcus153

exciting times

• Like Like x 1
  3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Indeed, best of luck and do drive carefully in Germany! The other drivers there know the rules and will expect you to as well - if they have right of way don't expect them to stop just 'cause you are in the way! :):):)
    I guess you won't be going out on the tiles but Düsseldorf is a nice town. Ask a taxi to take you to the "Alt Stadt" if you do decide to explore.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Best of luck !

• Like Like x 1
  5. Granjan

Granjan Funster

Good for you, really hope it all goes well, safe journey.(y)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Zepp

Zepp Funster

Good luck and enjoy

• Like Like x 1
  7. lorger

lorger Funster

Hope all goes well and please keep us updated on the whole experience as I have just click send for the deposit for my new van from a German dealer, I don't pick up until December though.

• Like Like x 1
  8. bellabee

bellabee Funster

Thanks DBK. Yes, I find it frightening on the Autobahn at the best of times!

lorger, I'll let you know how it goes. I imagine you're probably feeling the same as me about sending your money off into the great unknown - with just one click!

• Like Like x 1
  9. lorger

lorger Funster

lorger, I'll let you know how it goes. I imagine you're probably feeling the same as me about sending your money off into the great unknown - with just one click![/QUOTE]
    Yes feeling excited and nervous, being a Scotsman I don't even like handing money over to someone I know never mind a total stranger in a different country although like you I've done my homework with lots of help from here exspaically Judgemental.
    I am transferring my Money through Moneycrop and have booked my euros at today's rate just incase the rate goes against me, not bothered if it goes the other way as I'm happy with the price as it is today.
    Good luck

P.S. Just check with your dealer mine is offering fully comp on export plates.

• Like Like x 1
  10. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

Why do you want a spanner to DISCONNECT the gas cylinder. That way if the valve was leaking it would be straight out. Leave the connection and just turn off the valve.????????????????????
    The ferry company would really like a cylinder leaking gas all over the car deck floor looking for an ignition point.

• Like Like x 2
  11. laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan Funster Life Member

I imagine that it will be a kalidescope of emotions for you guys , im also buying from Europe ,ours wont be ready until feb , and I decided on the dealer closest to the ferry as im quite nervous about driving the mh home :D

• Like Like x 1
  12. chuns

chuns Read Only Funster

Chris, have you thought about the legality of driving the van on UK roads? Unless I got it all wrong, you can't drive it as a UK resident on its temporary German plates...

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/temporary-imports

I didn't meet those criteria, so I felt I had to take the vehicle to where it is stored until it is taxed on a Recovery truck.

If I was wrong, then I wasted a hundred quid (I only live 15 miles from a ferry port), but if I am right you might want to check it out.

Let's hope I am wrong.

13. kip

kip Funster

Fantastic !! Have a safe journey back & enjoy your new van.(n)

• Like Like x 1
  14. bellabee

bellabee Funster

Don't ask me! I just pour the wine!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ethle the wondervan

Ethle the wondervan

Gutte farht mit ihrem 'who-mer' !! (y)

16. bellabee

bellabee Funster

It's not a 'temporary import', it's a 'permanent import.' We live in the UK.

17. bellabee

bellabee Funster

Vielen Dank, Ethle.

• Like Like x 1
  18. bellabee

bellabee Funster

Update on this: I've shown him your post, and he's leaving the spanner behind!

19. chuns

chuns Read Only Funster

I beg to differ...

From the DVLA Website...

<<<What you need to do depends on how you are bringing the vehicle into the country and if it is a new or used vehicle. If you are going to use a vehicle on the public road it must be registered, taxed and insured. A British resident must not drive a vehicle displaying foreign registration number plates in the UK (my emphasis). To avoid difficulties, we advise you to: n transport, rather than drive, your vehicle from the port to your home or its first destination, and n keep the vehicle off the road until it has been properly registered, taxed and insured.>>>

and...

<<<If you are a resident in the UK, you cannot drive a non-UK car in the UK. Since there are no residency cards in the UK, whenever you are stopped by a police officer and he thinks you are actually a resident (for example if you have a UK driving licence, or have UK debit cards in your wallet), then he might confiscate your car which might be destroyed, unless you can prove you are not a UK resident, or you are working in more than one EU countries, and spend more than 6 months (185 days) per year outside of the UK....

....There are only three possible options for a UK resident to drive a non-UK car completely legally:

1. If the car is not yours, the registered owner is not a UK resident, and he is sitting with you in the car (in this case he is considered to be the driver)
    2. If the car belongs to (or to be more precise is registered in the name of) an EU based company, and you are working for that company.
    3. If the car is on a lease in an other country (for example it's a car hired from France)>>>
    I interpreted that to imply that the vehicle is a Temporary import until it is registered. The DVLA doesn't actually say "it is illegal", they say "to avoid difficulties". I think the message is clear enough.

20. Abacist

Abacist Funster

Talk about absolute bureaucratic nonsense designed to make life as difficult and expensive as possible!

• Like Like x 2