Fly Fishing

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Bobndebs McKay, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Bobndebs McKay

Bobndebs McKay

Hi all,

Debs and I are planning to spend the majority of next year touring Portugal and Spain. To that end, I am a keen Angler, in particular Fly Fishing (Trout) I tie my own etc and have done mostly Reserviour and Stillwater with limited running water time.
    Do we have any info, any other Fluff Chuckers or any advice on the subject from our members?
    I do Sea Angling also and will be looking to dangle the odd worm off the harbours and jetties!!
    Cheers all

2. trophychap

trophychap Funster

Don't know anything about trout fishing in Portugal, we did see quite a lot of lovely looking lakes though didn't see anyone fishing them though, I did find out that even for a bit of beach fishing you do need a rod licence, and I believe Spain is the same.

No idea where you would obtain the said beastie though, possibly a post office.

• Like Like x 1
  3. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

I am a passionate fly fisher as you can see from my Avatar picture. I spent 30 years doing Still-Water then moved on to Sea Trout fishing in Wales (Towey & Gwili) and that is what I have been doing for the last 10 years (It's a challenge and a half).

France is totaly Crap for fly fishing (they come to Wales or Scotland). Sea fishing is another story, some great Sea Bass can be caught around Brittany, if you know what your doing. I'm a bit of a chucker and chancer!! Your required to have a local license. Spain is more or less the same without the Sea Bass, and a lot of locals will fish from harbor walls and like the French eat everything they catch. Some of the best European Trout fishing can be had in Slovenia but you need to do some research as some of the local clubs charge up to €90.00 for a days fishing.

On the other hand, if you want to be up to your neck in thousands of fresh Salmon (and I mean hundreds of thousands), get over to Vancouver Island. It is unbelievable. You can catch fresh Salmon of the fly, all day long, every day, during the Salmon runs.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I have fished in Sweden and Norway with the fly, mainly in rivers with great success. The oddest thing I ever saw was some Polish people fly fishing for pike and catching in Sweden. Looked great fun with light tackle. Am told you can fly fish for most species as long as you use the correct lure.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bobndebs McKay

Bobndebs McKay

I currently live in Berlin and the prospects here are dire I must say, I can get up to the Baltic Coast for Sea Trout, but its hard work for little reward!!
    I shall be looking to chuck a fly whilst in Spain and Portugal, maybe even for Mullet and the like. Vancouver Island:crying1: bit ambitious for me I am afraid, although maybe I can convince Debs that Norway in the Autumn is not too bad !!:winky: My main interest for now though is Spain and Portugal for next year. I shall get a month at home fishing Farmoor in April so that will be a welcome diversion. Thanks for input though chaps, I shall keep looking. Nice fish BTW Phillippft!! very nice!!:clap:

6. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

Correct! They also fish for numerous species in Slovenia on the fly. They have been fly fishing for pike in the UK for many years now, mostly at the back end of the season when it's bloody freezing. I'm not that hardy anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  7. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

I was stationed in Berlin during the cold war. (Wilhelmstraße) One Squadron (12) of main battle tanks (Centurions Mk12) surround by 3 divisions of Russian amour. (would have lasted about 5 seconds if they ever invaded LOL). A fantastic city, probably the best posting in the whole of Europe at that time. Often thought of returning.

• Like Like x 1
  8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  9. pappajohn

• Like Like x 1
  10. pappajohn

Google is your best mate

• Like Like x 1
  11. cranky

cranky Funster

I used to have one of those, many years ago:LOL:

• Like Like x 1
  12. JJ

JJ Funster

Worm drowners...

JJ :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  13. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

Fly fishing ! The clue is in the title LOL

14. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Local knowledge is pretty useful I think when it comes to fishing. A quick Google throws up this company who can offer guides - not cheap I guess but probably the best way to ensure you actually might catch something. I caught my first salmon by standing exactly where I was told and precisely following the instructions given by my father on where to cast and how to retrieve - spinning, not on a fly unfortunately. I also fly fished for several days on a reservoir in Cornwall with never a tickle - until some locals showed me the technique (slow and deep) - then I caught fish.

http://www.cavadoflyfishing.com/

• Like Like x 1
  15. Pikeman

Pikeman Funster

Wow, didn't realise we had so many anglers on here. As you can see by my Avatar I had/have an obsession - but Im cured, honest. I no longer spend days and nights on Windemere in the pissing rain.

Keith :confused:

• Like Like x 3
  16. cruiser

cruiser Funster Life Member

I still want to learn.

17. keith

keith Funster

The barragems (reservoirs) of Portugal are full of carp and a license is cheap. The biggest problem is finding where you buy one.
    Got mine on the N125 just outside Lagos, eventually, after a wander around the Algarve trying to find where the office had moved to.
    Never seen anyone fly fishing though, got me thinking - should I take my fly rod?

Edit.
    You can get a license through a Multibanco (ATM) but you need to be able to read Portugese!

18. JJ

JJ Funster

People actually go fishing for flies?

I squish flies with my swatty thing...

Pesky things.

JJ :cool:

19. pappajohn

Sure do JJ.
    Stick a bit of fish on yer hook and swing it round your head.
    Gets em every time.

20. Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo Funster Life Member

Just as a matter of interest how much would it cost to start fly fishing with decent tackle.
    brian

• Like Like x 1