Flooded MH advice? (1 Viewer)

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We are currently at Puerta du Duquesa, just S. Of Estepona. Our daughter flew out to Malaga on Friday so we booked an apartment for a week. We parked the MH on the car park at the back right next to the A7/N340. Weather here has been awful for over a week so we were keeping an eye on the MH. Checked this morning at 0730 and water was about 2-3 inch deep on the tyres. Got a knock on the door at 0800 saying that we had better check again. Checked and found that the retaining wall had collapsed pushing the MH about 6 ft forward and the water was about 4 ft deep but receded very quickly. As an indicator, there is water in the headlights.(2004 fiat ducato) My query is will the engine have been damaged?
The water has run right through the Hab area at about 6" depth. Just waiting for Allianz to get back to me.
IMG_20161204_091355.jpg
IMG_20161204_091259.jpg
IMG_20161204_102747.jpg
IMG_20161204_102538.jpg

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
You can check that the air filter is dry. However, its the electrics that may be more of an issue, but either way I think you can say that its a write off. The owner of the land may be responsible as it was his wall that collapsed causing the vehicle to be damaged.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Engine SHOULD BE ok but the exhaust silencers will be full of dirty water.
Depends where the water came from but it could include foul water (sewers) and would need a very deep clean.
Then you have the problem of on going damp.
I would leave it where it is and let the insurers to sort out

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If you were to research the contents of flood water you wouldnt want the motor home salvaging.
The engine should survive

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I would think write off as well, hopefully your insurers will agree quickly, then I guess you have the nightmare of what to do with the contents if you don't have the MH

My greatest sympathy to you and best of luck sorting it

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
I think that the technical term is "b**g**d" and I wish you well with your insurance company. Good job you were not in it at the time and you are safe; at the end of the day, it is only a MH and can be replaced........

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sorry to see your problems, certainly a right off. Engine will have survived providing no water gets into the bores.

Be careful what you say to the insurance company if you were staying in the apartment. Most insurers won't cover you if the vehicle is unoccupied for more than 36 hours when away from home.

Last edited:

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
What a horrible situation to be in. Hope you get it sorted as soon as poss and the insurance don't mess you about. Good luck.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Be careful what you say to the insurance company if you were staying in the apartment. Most insurers won't cover you if the vehicle is unoccupied for more than 36 hours when away from home.
That was my initial thought too Lenny ... be very, very careful what you tell the insurers however if you've actually been in the MH, even if not sleeping it, it should still be covered. If you are a member of CC/CCC then it might be an idea to contact them for advice so you are forearmed if needs be!

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Oh wow what a shock for you, thank goodness you weren't in it and nobody got hurt.
Best wishes for Allianz getting it sorted soon, and as you'd hope.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Agree with all the above re write-off. Mechanical damage will be minimal but all oils need changing (at 4 feet it's over the gearbox breather and crank and drive-shaft oil seals) all hubs need stripping and re-greasing and the brake & power steering fluids need a close look if not changing. I would not start it until, at the very least, engine & gearbox oils had been changed.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
DO NOT even attempt to start it ... if you do the insurance company could try to claim that you added to the existing damage by doing so!

Personally I wouldn't want it back, whether they say it's been repaired or not, as you will now have damp timber in the framework/floor which will only cause problems in the future ... sorry.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Bloody hell Barry when I mentioned the snow here earlier in the month, I thought you'd escaped all the bad weather. Something else to consider is that a lot of electrical connections will have got wet and problems with them may only manifest a few months down the line.
On the plus side, it would be a good time to dump your grey waste.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Bloody hell Barry when I mentioned the snow here earlier in the month, I thought you'd escaped all the bad weather. Something else to consider is that a lot of electrical connections will have got wet and problems with them may only manifest a few months down the line.
On the plus side, it would be a good time to dump your grey waste.

Funny for the last sentence only.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
most definitely a write off, only fit for salvaged parts. have seen a few flood damaged motorhomes and caravans at auctions. none were habitable

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Sorry to see your problems, certainly a right off. Engine will have survived providing no water gets into the bores.

Thats interesting, are you saying that if someone parks their motorhome for 48 hours in the car park of a hotel they may have used it to drive to and may be staying at it is not covered by insurance and that the same applies if parked other than at home address for the same period?

OP
OP
namwaldog
Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Thanks for all your help and support. Allianz have said the claims team will contact us am tomorrow.
Managed to get quite a bit of personal stuff out of the MH but will probably have to pay XS baggage if we fly home:). Best solution for us would be a write off asap and then a hire car to Calais but I can't see that.

Anybody any practical experience of a situation like this?

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Comfort insurance - If I read it correctly - give 48 hours

http://www.comfort-insurance.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Horizon-Motorhome-1st-July-2016.pdf

If I understand it correctly you are either using it or storing it. If you are storing it then it should meet their section 1 criteria.

Exclusions:
Loss or damage covered under section 1 if your motor caravan is stored for a period in excess or 48 hours anywhere other than the storage location disclosed to us in your statement of fact.

Section 1 - cover

• If your motor caravan is in storage, this policy section will continue to apply when
  1. a) Yourmotorcaravanisstoredatyourprivate

address; or

2. b) Yourmotorcaravanisstoredontheprivate

driveway of a close friend or relative, provided that it forms part of their property (subject to acceptance of postcode)

3. c) Your motor caravan is stored at a CASSOA storage facility

4. d) Yourmotorcaravanisstoredatanon- CASSOA storage location that has been approved by us.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Very sorry to hear about your misfortune - a horrible experience. Hope sorting the matter out isn't too painful and you can recoup your losses OK.

Regards insurance, I quizzed Comfort (our insurer) on this topic, because we regularly stay in other accommodation (Holiday Property Bond) when touring in the van. I explained the situation that sometimes the vehicle would be on private property (HPB) and other times might be on the road. Provided I could state honestly that we'd been inside the van each day (not necessarily sleeping) then it would NOT be classed as 'stored', and we'd be covered.

It appeared that in their view, 'stored' = completely unattended.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

http://www.comfort-insurance.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Horizon-Motorhome-1st-July-2016.pdf

If I understand it correctly you are either using it or storing it. If you are storing it then it should meet their section 1 criteria.

Exclusions:
Loss or damage covered under section 1 if your motor caravan is stored for a period in excess or 48 hours anywhere other than the storage location disclosed to us in your statement of fact.

Section 1 - cover

• If your motor caravan is in storage, this policy section will continue to apply when

address; or

driveway of a close friend or relative, provided that it forms part of their property (subject to acceptance of postcode)

4. d) Yourmotorcaravanisstoredatanon- CASSOA storage location that has been approved by us.

So if a persons home address is the storage location, its covered but anywhere else is not if parked for more than 48 hours. Conversly, if the storage location is given as a commercial storage site and you park your motorhome on your drive in excess of 48 hours its not covered. If thats right I am glad I am not insured with Comfort insurance. I just read the condition on the link and I think you do understand it correctly.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
motorhome insurance terms are pretty sneaky with some parts

if this happened to me, i would parcel up all my belongings from the van and send them home via courier, same day I flew home. hopefully claim it back under reasonable costs from the insurance

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Think there's maybe a difference between stating to the insurance company your M/H is stored at home or at a storage facility. We're with Comfort and when we moved the storage a couple of years ago we had a series of correspondence which, to cut a long story short, would have involved a change in the policy and quite a bit of money. Fortunately after a bit of pressure it all got sorted amicably and we're now very satisfied.

Yes, there is a limit on how long we can "store" it on our drive (36 hours) but frankly, given our particular location, we wouldn't want to leave it there any longer anyway so it's also a bit of an incentive to take it back to the storage yard. It's only 15 mins away and is a Gold Cassoa site.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Just read through my Caravan Club policy, it does not contain any condition as to leaving it parked anywhere for a certain period other than a storage facility so if I want to leave in parked somewhere I can, it appears for as long as I want. Interestingly it does state specifically that the motorhome will be covered if left in custody or control of a garage for maintenance, repair, servicing or testing and when in the custody of a hotel, restaurant, car parking service or similar where the motorhome has been parked by you.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Exclusions:

Section 1 - cover

address; or

It has got to the point of being ridiculous now ,UK insurance.
All you want is a vehicle insured , 24/7 ,365/year wherever it is ,whatever time of day/night & regardless of whether someone is in it, using it , It is just parked.
Like I get here, & what used to be the case in the UK.:mad:

OP
OP
namwaldog
Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
If you have to fly back. Pack the stuff up & ship it back .
I use parcels2go. 24€ for 20kgs suitcase ( 76cm x 60cm x 25cm) last week. Far cheaper than excess baggage. Pity I am so far away as you could have left a lot here/or shipped it from here.
Thanks for that. How do you arrange this?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
pack really well and include inside a sheet with delivery address if the label comes off

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back