Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile coa
Exp
2 + 1/2 years
My colleague has seen an Autosleeper Sandhurst - 2007, with a mileage of only 400, at a car dealers in Somerset at a price well below what you would expect to pay.

I warned him about the floods in Tewksbury in 2007 and that the Marquis depot had been severely affected and that there were a lot of motorhomes semi-submerged.

Is there any way of finding out what vehicles were affected - i note that after the flood at Autotrail a list of damaged vehicles was issued. Was anything similar issued after the Tewksbury flood?

He is acutely aware that "if it too good to be true, it probably is" but it would be interesting to know if this was one of the affected vehicles. The dealer hasn't admitted to anything - just that he bought it to pacify his wife but now she has a puppy!!!

PilgrimPhil

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
Marquis took note of all of the VIN numbers of the vehicles which were damaged in the Tewkesbury floods. Which was all of them by the way. Not one vehicle escaped. Only mine parked on higher grounds next door.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I would imagine
An HPI check will reveal if any claim has been made on the vehicle or if its been a total loss

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if its cheap enough have some fun get it used . if it looks ok it probably got re done. make a daft offer ,you can walk away .cheers alan.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
When this first happened there was numbers printed of ehich vans were effected in MMM, although I wouldn't know what issue. It would be probably 6 months plus later after the insurance had paid up.

vwalan is right, if its cheap enough have a go, but one word of caution. There was a scrap dealer selling these off when they came on the market. He was selling them for only 3-7k below list. Not a bargain in my mind.

Im not sure Geo about HPI picking these up as they were pre registered and from what I can remember the insurance paid out in bulk. Some vans were harley effected whilst others had sewage water up to the seats- em lovely

Last edited:

Oscarmax

Free Member
Oct 22, 2008
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
may 2008
If you have doubts, don't do it

OP
OP
P

PilgrimPhil

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile coa
Exp
2 + 1/2 years
Since my initial post, a HPI check has been made and it has come back "Insurance Write Off - CAT D damage" on 28/11/07.

This is my colleagues first foray into motorhomes so he won't be wanting to saddle himself with something that may be a problem to sell on in the future. The dealer hasn't mentioned any of this at all and even says that it has a years manufacturers warranty left to run!!

Thanks for your comments.
This is the van in question!

Link Removed

PilgrimPhil

camper69

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
North Bucks
Funster No
Exp
Since my initial post, a HPI check has been made and it has come back "Insurance Write Off - CAT D damage" on 28/11/07.

This is my colleagues first foray into motorhomes so he won't be wanting to saddle himself with something that may be a problem to sell on in the future. The dealer hasn't mentioned any of this at all and even says that it has a years manufacturers warranty left to run!!

Thanks for your comments.
This is the van in question!

Link Removed

PilgrimPhil

Dealer can't even put photographs the right way up on Ebay:Doh:

Derek

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
offer 15 or 20 grand be good price then . lots fun to be had there .

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
It doesn't seem right that an article like this that has been written off or very badly damaged can be sold as if there is no prev history or any mention of there being an insurance issue in the past IMHO:Blush::Blush:

Me thinks I would rather leave alone at any price having experienced in the past a flooded out office unit, two years down the line it had to be destroyed due to the mold taking hold it was not nice at all

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
think you will find cat D is not a very damaged vehicle .wouldnt bother me if the price was low. had lots of write offs in the past doesnt always mean alot.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Have to agree with Alan here

A cat D is more down to cost of repairs and availability of spare parts rather than actual damage :thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
ask the dealer .its only a game when buying or selling. still say could be a cheap one here ,push hard but be prepared to walk away .

Baggins

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Well spotted PilgrimPhil.

In a past life, for my sins, I was slightly involved in the Motor Salvage game and most self-drive hire companies are 'self-insured'. Many were prepared to part with their damaged vehicles - in a variety of conditions INCLUDING flood damaged without registering said damage with DVLA to obtain 20% value rather than 5/10%. I hope things have tightened up since.

Water damage is simply a killer - the electronics are never ever right again - seawater, of course, is a death warrant.

It wasn't so long ago that I inspected a 3 year old car at a dealer for a friend and had to ask the salesman why the interior fuse box appeared to have rusted up!!

Cat. 'D' damage is only superficial bodywork damage that does not need re-jigging. Flood-damage is seldom superficial.

Being something of a cynic I imagine many motors that should be Cat 'B' (parts ONLY) still turn up as 'C' uneconomic to repair (MUST pass inspection if repaired) creep up a grade.

Buyer beware eh!

BW

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Thanks for that valuable insight into the murky waters of the motor trade! ::bigsmile:

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Lets face it, anyone who parts with £28,000 for anything (on ebay or anywhere else for that matter) without HPIing it first deseves to be con'd. :ROFLMAO:

Boo

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
If there is any chance of it being flood damaged I would walk away. Not worth the hassle with so many vehicles on the market. Water damage can give you so much grief.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
The dealer WILL KNOW that this is insurance cat d as he will have hpi it himself if he has not told you this walk away or better still run
The dealer also lied about the warranty this will have been cancelled by the manufacturer

Last edited:

Scunny-Arfie

Free Member
Sep 21, 2008
Scunthorpe
Funster No
Why doesnt your friend send seller a message through ebay (ask seller a question) asking if it has ever had any damage, if his reply is fraudulent then report him to ebay.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back