Flood damaged motorhomes

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by PilgrimPhil, Sep 9, 2009.

1. PilgrimPhil

PilgrimPhil Read Only Funster

My colleague has seen an Autosleeper Sandhurst - 2007, with a mileage of only 400, at a car dealers in Somerset at a price well below what you would expect to pay.

I warned him about the floods in Tewksbury in 2007 and that the Marquis depot had been severely affected and that there were a lot of motorhomes semi-submerged.

Is there any way of finding out what vehicles were affected - i note that after the flood at Autotrail a list of damaged vehicles was issued. Was anything similar issued after the Tewksbury flood?

He is acutely aware that "if it too good to be true, it probably is" but it would be interesting to know if this was one of the affected vehicles. The dealer hasn't admitted to anything - just that he bought it to pacify his wife but now she has a puppy!!!

PilgrimPhil

2. JohnH

JohnH Funster

Marquis took note of all of the VIN numbers of the vehicles which were damaged in the Tewkesbury floods. Which was all of them by the way. Not one vehicle escaped. Only mine parked on higher grounds next door.

3. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I would imagine
    An HPI check will reveal if any claim has been made on the vehicle or if its been a total loss

4. vwalan

vwalan Funster

if its cheap enough have some fun get it used . if it looks ok it probably got re done. make a daft offer ,you can walk away .cheers alan.

5. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

When this first happened there was numbers printed of ehich vans were effected in MMM, although I wouldn't know what issue. It would be probably 6 months plus later after the insurance had paid up.

vwalan is right, if its cheap enough have a go, but one word of caution. There was a scrap dealer selling these off when they came on the market. He was selling them for only 3-7k below list. Not a bargain in my mind.

Im not sure Geo about HPI picking these up as they were pre registered and from what I can remember the insurance paid out in bulk. Some vans were harley effected whilst others had sewage water up to the seats- em lovely

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  6. Oscarmax

Oscarmax Read Only Funster

If you have doubts, don't do it

7. PilgrimPhil

PilgrimPhil Read Only Funster

Since my initial post, a HPI check has been made and it has come back "Insurance Write Off - CAT D damage" on 28/11/07.

This is my colleagues first foray into motorhomes so he won't be wanting to saddle himself with something that may be a problem to sell on in the future. The dealer hasn't mentioned any of this at all and even says that it has a years manufacturers warranty left to run!!

Thanks for your comments.
    This is the van in question!

Volkswagen Sandhurst Auto Sleeper new unused on eBay (end time 13-Sep-09 18:16:42 BST)

PilgrimPhil

8. camper69

camper69 Read Only Funster

Dealer can't even put photographs the right way up on Ebay:Doh:

Derek

9. vwalan

vwalan Funster

offer 15 or 20 grand be good price then . lots fun to be had there .

10. champers

champers Funster Life Member

It doesn't seem right that an article like this that has been written off or very badly damaged can be sold as if there is no prev history or any mention of there being an insurance issue in the past IMHO:Blush::Blush:

Me thinks I would rather leave alone at any price having experienced in the past a flooded out office unit, two years down the line it had to be destroyed due to the mold taking hold it was not nice at all

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  11. vwalan

vwalan Funster

think you will find cat D is not a very damaged vehicle .wouldnt bother me if the price was low. had lots of write offs in the past doesnt always mean alot.

12. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

Have to agree with Alan here

A cat D is more down to cost of repairs and availability of spare parts rather than actual damage :thumb:

13. champers

champers Funster Life Member

Does the Cat D cover water damage too?

14. vwalan

vwalan Funster

ask the dealer .its only a game when buying or selling. still say could be a cheap one here ,push hard but be prepared to walk away .

15. Baggins

Baggins Read Only Funster

Well spotted PilgrimPhil.

In a past life, for my sins, I was slightly involved in the Motor Salvage game and most self-drive hire companies are 'self-insured'. Many were prepared to part with their damaged vehicles - in a variety of conditions INCLUDING flood damaged without registering said damage with DVLA to obtain 20% value rather than 5/10%. I hope things have tightened up since.

Water damage is simply a killer - the electronics are never ever right again - seawater, of course, is a death warrant.

It wasn't so long ago that I inspected a 3 year old car at a dealer for a friend and had to ask the salesman why the interior fuse box appeared to have rusted up!!

Cat. 'D' damage is only superficial bodywork damage that does not need re-jigging. Flood-damage is seldom superficial.

Being something of a cynic I imagine many motors that should be Cat 'B' (parts ONLY) still turn up as 'C' uneconomic to repair (MUST pass inspection if repaired) creep up a grade.

Buyer beware eh!

BW

16. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Thanks for that valuable insight into the murky waters of the motor trade! :BigGrin:

17. Boo

Boo Read Only Funster

Lets face it, anyone who parts with £28,000 for anything (on ebay or anywhere else for that matter) without HPIing it first deseves to be con'd. :Rofl1:

Boo

18. G4GMO

G4GMO Read Only Funster

If there is any chance of it being flood damaged I would walk away. Not worth the hassle with so many vehicles on the market. Water damage can give you so much grief.

19. cater_racer

cater_racer Read Only Funster

I wouldn't buy from Marquis if they were giving them away.

20. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

The dealer WILL KNOW that this is insurance cat d as he will have hpi it himself if he has not told you this walk away or better still run
    The dealer also lied about the warranty this will have been cancelled by the manufacturer

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009