flippin' frogs

Discussion in 'Nature & Wildlife' started by CWH, Jan 17, 2015.

1. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

Back at the end of November I asked for advice about clearing in & around ponds when there were still tadpoles & froglets around. Well, I left them for a bit to either grow up or die off. We've had nearly a frost; snow; hail; even a tornado. I hoped I could get around to it now, but hey-ho! went & had a look today and...
    tadpole.JPG spawn.JPG daddy-of-em-all.JPG
    Do I just go ahead & grit my teeth to the collateral damage?

2. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Flog them to Frankie (Yodeli)....(y)

She may have her work cut out trying to get her teeth into the big boy.. :wink::rofl:

• Like Like x 2
  3. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

good idea
    though we do like to encourage our frogs coz they eat the destructive snails ... [​IMG]
    ... ah, I see a theme developing here! [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  4. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Crumbs..... your weather must be really clement ..... I didn't think there were tadpoles at this time of year..... at least your fish will have some protein over winter ... Your pond is very clean .. what filter do you use?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Madwife

Madwife Deleted User

Saw a squashed frog on the road yesterday - it must have come out if hiding as it was raining.

Kath

• Like Like x 1
  6. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

no fish...
    no filter... totally au naturel
    rain till it overflows - why it's clear
    full of leaves - why I want to clean it out!

7. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Maybe rake the leaves up and put them in a net of some sort at one side of the pond to allow any tadpoles or froglets to escape back into the water?

• Like Like x 4
  8. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

that's a good idea, I'm sure I can find something to do that with, thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jon and Debs

Jon and Debs Funster

Blimey that's not right. Taddies shouldn't be even a twinkle in Froggies eyes yet. I usually wait until the frogs have spawned, take the spawn out and place in large squashy buckets whilst I clean the pond and then rear the taddies on to froglets before I release them in the marshy area of the pond. When you clean the pond you will doubtless find a multitude of Frogs but just put em in a bucket and let em go when the pond has been cleaned. The reason I rear the taddies into Frogs is because the spawn and taddies get eaten by my fish if I put them back in after cleaning the pond out. I would delay cleaning the pond until mid-late March when the Frogs or Toads have all spawned. Do your bit for the wildlife environment. If you decide to rear the taddies, feed em on small bits of cat or dog food, clean the water every week and don't put them in full sun. I did cook a batch one warm spring !!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Jonkil

Jonkil Funster

If your going to France.....
    Well......
    Money to be made !

• Like Like x 1
  11. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

That's the problem - there's always SOMEthing going on with the frogs/ froglets!
    It's just a very VERY small plastic pond with a few waterboatmen & other bugs & whoever else decides to move in (no fish) and to be honest they'll have to look after themselves, but I want to remove silt & layers of leaves, & to clear the long grasses nearby where the froglets tend to hide - but I don't want to risk killing them off, or leaving them exposed to weather & birds.
    Thanks all for some great advice & no, I'm NOT going to eat the little darlin's!!!

12. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

dont worry about the frogs the crows and magpies will deal with them

• Like Like x 2
  13. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

You have missed the time to clear out the pond, the frogs start spawning in January here in the South West although the exact time depends on the weather and if it is a very cold winter they will delay spawning.

The time to clear out the pond was October or November. There may still be tadpoles overwintering, this is quite common if they don't get enough food to complete their development in one season but the trick is to leave any rubbish you dredge out from the bottom on the side of the pond for a day or so to allow things to wriggle back home.

I would wait until the end of the year but you could move any spawn you have now into a bucket, using a little net, and take it to another pond. The frogs spawned over quite a long period where we used to live so even if you move the spawn now you could get more in a few weeks.

Cleaning out the pond completely will of course remove most of their food so the tadpoles won't develop but their corpses will provide protein for the next generation!

• Like Like x 4
  14. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

aaawwwww!!! :(
    I might do this a bit at a time, put in a basket or net as @Puddleduck suggested; & leave some of the litter in for food along with the algae & grasses that hang into the water. We do have a 'wildlife-friendly' garden (ie neglected) but from time to time bits of it need to have a bit of management...!

• Like Like x 1
  15. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

You can feed tadpoles once they get bigger. The pellets you can get for goldfish will float on the surface and as they become soft the tadpoles will come up to the surface and nibble at them - propelling the pellets across the water as they do so, which is fun to watch. When they are small the tadpoles tend to hide in weed or on the bottom and eat algae. As they become older they become carnivorous!

I would be surprised if you don't have damselfly or even dragonfly larva in the pond as well so look out for those when you clean it out.

• Like Like x 3
  16. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

They're coming along nicely!
    (One batch of at least 5)

spawn.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  17. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Just shows how much more advanced the weather is down your way than up here.

18. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

Oh yes!
    Yesterday, on the grass verge...
    IMG_1465.JPG

In the delightful village of
    IMG_1464.JPG

And today...
    IMG_1468.JPG

19. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Snowdrops here. We don't tend to get a good show of primula as there isn't really a long spring - our weather tends to go from winter to summer with just a mild week or two at some point.

Sunset a few days ago, photo taken from a window ..... the white in the hedgerow is snow btw.
    100_7532.JPG

20. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

Update on the taddies - they have legs!
    150301 tads.JPG

• Like Like x 3