LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
With great difficulty... van bonnet is metal so use Autoglym stuff I use for car - that is easy- but nose overhang [ we have drop down bed so van has a bendy top] is not easy. Try to use neat Fenwicks van cleaner with long soft bristle brush but it runs down the brush [but no flies on me so good!] - this hurts the tiny arms as can barely reach- sneef; then rinse but not 100% so need to do it twice.

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
Slowly .......o_O
I was about to launch into a whole load of bad puns but then did a wee Google and found someone on an American site suggesting using fabric softener sheets that you would put into a tumble drier ...... Wet one and rub on the bugs!
Might be worth a go .... can't say I've tried it myself!

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
On my works van I bought some bug and tar remover from Halfords, it was in a spray bottle, from memory I just sprayed it on, left for a few minutes and then washed it off, it worked a treat so might be worth a try

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Gave mine 2 coats of wax before this trip, so far got to Sicily and virtually no flies on the front. Those that have stuck just brush off easily leaving no residue.
Someone recommended this tip before I left thought I'd try it as my trip to Spain earlier this year cost me hours of work to remove the buggers.
So far so good (y)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Soaking them is the answer. Don't use bug sprays if you can avoid them, they will strip off any wax you might have applied.

A wet sheet of newspaper has been recommended but there is a danger you might leave the headlines on the bonnet! @Robert Clark uses the fabric conditioner sheets I believe. Alternatively, if you have plenty of water, a good soak with a sponge and a car shampoo.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Autoglym Rapid detail spray, quick wipe over every time I park up.

Martin

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Soaking them is the answer. Don't use bug sprays if you can avoid them, they will strip off any wax you might have applied.

A wet sheet of newspaper has been recommended but there is a danger you might leave the headlines on the bonnet! @Robert Clark uses the fabric conditioner sheets I believe. Alternatively, if you have plenty of water, a good soak with a sponge and a car shampoo.
We now have an improved recipe !

A hand held sprayer
Containing about 4 tumble dryer sheets - topped up with 'pre wash snow foam' liquid.

Spray directly onto affected area, then rub gently with soft brush, soaked in water. I carry a soft car/truck was brush for this.

Rinse

Job done !

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
Baby wipes as suggested in a thread somewhere on here. Worked a treat. rinsed well, then 2 coats of wax.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
For me as @DBK , as soon as possible after arrival a wet sponge on a telescopic pole if needed , a few minutes and they come off easy.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Washing up bowl with water and plenty of washing up liquid, soak sheets of kitchen towel in solution, place on bonnet/windscreen, have a beer, wipe off flies with ease, simples innitt :D

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Think I'm getting dicklessic, keep reading header as files on front of van, and I picture lever arch on the bonnet.........
Oh well back to the malt :hi5::wine:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Spray on, rinse off. With the overhang I always use this as when it runs and drips onto the windscreen, it cleans that too :)
image.jpeg

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
I never go fast enough to get flies on the front of our van . . . . but there's plenty on the back . . . . . .LOL

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
Why bother? I can understand wanting to get them off the windscreen - but surely there are more enjoyable things to spend your hard earned time (and money) on than washing the front of a motorhome? I put this in the "does it really matter" pile.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
With great difficulty... van bonnet is metal so use Autoglym stuff I use for car - that is easy- but nose overhang [ we have drop down bed so van has a bendy top] is not easy. Try to use neat Fenwicks van cleaner with long soft bristle brush but it runs down the brush [but no flies on me so good!] - this hurts the tiny arms as can barely reach- sneef; then rinse but not 100% so need to do it twice.
I wouldn't use Fenwicks neat, it may damage your van.
I use Fenwicks all the time to clean my van. Firstly rinse with clean water. The Fenwicks Motorhome Cleaner 1 capful in 5 litres of warm water.
Spray using 5 litre pump spray......leave to soak for 30 seconds then brush using plenty of clean water. Do a metre length at a time and rinse well.

Don't let Fenwicks dry on your van.

I carry a small spray bottle with the dilluted Fenwicks to spot clean when i'm out on the road.......but you must rinse Fenwicks off completely.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back