FLEABAY and Scams

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by teddybard, Jan 31, 2013.

1. teddybard

teddybard Read Only Funster

Personal opinion now
    I Will not use Fleabay under any circumstances
    Until they clean their act up
    Which probably means
    never again.

How do you feel & Why ?

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I could not survive without eBay. It's great.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I have only had one poor experience but that was remedied quickly.

Following Terry's threads I dont think I would buy a high value item on there though.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Been on 'Fleabay' since March 2006, sell loads on there with very few problems, ebay does have good buyer protections in place, if your not happy and pay via PayPal all you have to do is file a resolution and PayPal put a block on your money.

If seller does not respond, Paypal and ebay will refund automatically.

If your daft enough to pay by other means, then your a fool and deserve what you get frankly.

Only the greedy get scammed in the end

Peter

• Like Like x 9
  5. alfandM

alfandM Funster

i bought a item in the early days off eBay and found it very good,but to day there's more and more fly by nights, so i would not venture in to any thing , and how folk can part with good money with out even inspecting the item/s or seeing the item/s its mind boggling, so there's my 2 pennif on the subject,Alf.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Popeye

Popeye Funster

I have and still do purchase items through ebay. However in my attempt to support local businesses I usually use ebay to establish a best price scenario and then decide how much more than that I'm prepared to pay for local service.

With local service you can pop back for advice or additional purchases. If something goes wrong it is less hassle to return the goods. It also puts profit into your local economy.

I am currently in the throws of purchasing a new Stihl chain saw. My local dealer has already offered a good deal. I have searched the web and could get the same saw in Leicester for £563, just £8 cheaper than my local dealer.

For £8 I would rather deal locally. I will NEVER use ebay to beat the local suppliers down to a lower price........Griff :thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  7. Terry

Terry Funster

I would be lost without it :BigGrin: and Google :BigGrin: never buy much without consulting both :thumb:I have had my share of hassels but in geneal been pleased.:thumb:The money I have saved probably runs into 1,000 s compared to going around the shops, or phoneing around.Last year I got a nice £200 10 ins tablet free :thumb:A LOT OF HASEL BUT WORTH IT:BigGrin: Saved over£70 on a vacum cleaner,:thumb:and about 10 cree tourches for aprox £3/to 8 quid as opposed to £8 to £30 :Smile: but I have given 6 away so perhaps not saved as much because if I had paid shop price I would not have given them away :BigGrin:A new camera system that saved above £500 on anything like from UK:thumb:
    terry

• Like Like x 1
  8. bungy

bungy Funster

interesting stand point...do you only apply it to Ebay?

as id be surprised if you could buy anything much these days without there being a scam of some sort in the supply chain somewhere

• Like Like x 1
  9. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

I use ebay regularly and have never had any problems.

You need to be a bit savvy and do as much homework as you can such as checking on the seller/buyer's feedback before committing.

Last week Barrie bought a job lot comprising of a balalaika and vintage mandolin for just £28!

If you ever want to spend a couple of mindless hours reading horror stories, the ebay forums are good fun :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  10. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

I have bought & sold hundreds of items over the years & only ever had ONE problem which was sorted by Paypal. There are scams on there, like lots of other places, so you do need to use caution. But to say your not usiing e-bay because of the scams is a bit like saying you're not going to use your phone because some scammer rang up to tell you you won the Nigerian lottery or not using e-mail because you get e-mails trying to sell dodgy blue pills.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ValinFrance

ValinFrance Read Only Funster

We bought our MH off Ebay without seeing it! So far so good...!

Like others, I couldn't survive without Ebay - just got the fabric from there to re-cover our upholstery, along with 25m of velcro from Shanghai for 9 euros!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We used eBay successfully when we had our business. After selling I didn't sell much at all until just recently we've been sorting out and getting rid of stuff hat's really just clutter to us so eBay has been very useful.

13. scousebird

scousebird Funster

Ebay - brilliant. I am, at the moment, selling lots of games that have been in our loft for years. I have bought & sold loads. :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  14. paulmold

paulmold Read Only Funster

Bought loads off Ebay (feedback rating in the 600's) and sold a few bits including a classic car and a caravan but I certainly would not buy something like a car or motorhome without seeing it. By that I mean I would bid and hope to win but on an item like that would go to pick it up and would not pay a penny beforehand. That way if the item is not there or mis-described then I would walk away. What's the seller (or scammer) likely to do, sue you!, I don't think so.

• Like Like x 1
  15. MikeD

MikeD Funster

I could not survive without eBay. It's great.

As Hilldweller says - I think its great.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

I never buy anything until I see what they sell for on eBay. And like others often buy it locally for a bit more.

16. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

I think ebay has become such a strong model, that they will be targets for scammers.

Luckily there are people like you that enjoy looking for them!

17. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I always feel a bit two faced to be honest.
    eBay is the bane of an awful lot of legitimate traders who have to compete with scumbags who buy a few items from suppliers, work from a bedroom and work on a markup of a few pence ( literally, and I am taking about stuff that costs anything from a couple of quid to £100+ )

But...........
    I myself buy stuff ( such as 2nd hand fones, memory sticks, and sometimes parts for the van etc etc )

Only had minor problems over the many years of use, all bar one of which was sorted out by either PayPal or eBay quite quickly, and the one odd one was eventually resolved by a personal visit to the vendor

• Like Like x 1
  18. tofo

tofo Funster

Just purchased a new back for me I phone 4 Impact damage

£4.99
    Against£ 146 fitted by apple

Which is the rip off :Eeek:

19. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

I couldn't live without EBay these days. sure, youve got scammers but they tend to be easily spotted by using a few common sense rules. like checking the feedback of a seller before purchase. i dont mean just rely on them being 97% or above. i then click on the number of negatives received and read them. some may just be from idiots blaming the seller because they were not home to take delivery or something similar. What i really look for is a pattern or even complaints about the product your looking to buy. one that springs to mind is usb thumb drives hacked to make them appear higher capacity, like an 8gb that pretends to be 64gb.

at the end of the day though, it comes down to experience. if something looks to be too cheap, ask yourself why and if you do buy it be prepared to write off the cost if you got it wrong. some bargains tend to cost more in the long run as you have to buy again

• Like Like x 1
  20. BryanM

BryanM Funster

Read with great interest this thread. Being in Northern Ireland it is virtually impossible to view vehicles before buying them, so over the past 9 years I have taken calculated risks in buying some cars blind.

At a quick calculation there have been 2 BMW 2002tii's, 2 MG Midgets, 2 MGB GT's, 1 MGB Roadster, 3 BMW E34 M5's, 1 Reliant Coupe Rally car, 2 Hymers and 3 weeks ago, an MX5! I am not a dealer, 7 of them are sadly still in my ownership, but all have been more or less as described. I do have 1 golden rule though which is never to buy anything 'big' without talking to the owner. In the early days , I did let my sense of wellbeing run riot with 1 of the Midgets, and while it did have 'shiney paintwork' it was on top of a thick layer of filler!

Other silly, in some peoples mind, things I have done include, for my current Hymer, posting £500 in cash the seller as he knew nothing about the internet and his daughter had posted the advert and he did not want the deposit in her paypal account! Again I had spoken to the chap at length and considered it a safe risk. Some day I'll write a post about it, but we have been delighted with it and have just tonight booked a trip to France at Easter in it.

So in conclusion, life would be very dull without the adventures ebay can bring you.

• Like Like x 1