Free Member
Aug 12, 2010
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 yr
As the title suggests does anyone have any comments about the fold flat flat food grade water hoses you can get.
I was thinking it could be useful for M/H as it takes up less space but never having used one I didn't want to buy another useless gadget!

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Ours has been very good so far (touch wood) and we've had it for about five years now. The only mild downside is that you have to make sure it's completely empty before attempting to wind it back onto its cassette.

Others have asked a similar question before and got mixed responses, so it will be interesting to see how others have fared with their's.

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
As the title suggests does anyone have any comments about the fold flat flat food grade water hoses you can get.
I was thinking it could be useful for M/H as it takes up less space but never having used one I didn't want to buy another useless gadget!

Saves a load of space compared to what I used to take, the reel is a bit flimsy, having said that I've not broke it yet and thats rare!!

Good flow
Saves space
Easy to use
does what it says on the tin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983

I have one on my boat and it's been very useful over the years. They have to be thoroughly emptied before they roll flat though and from reading threads on here they are not best liked by funsters. :thumb:

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
My flat cassette roll up one is good for watering the garden as it resembles a sprinkler with leaks all along the crease, started at 15 metres and when I threw it away last week was about 2 metres.

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Bought one 6 months ago and never used it,as you have to unroll all 15m to use it, so keep a short hose about 4m to fill up at motorhome service point. for interim fills without moving the van , a container & whale pump:thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
unless you drink water direct from your MH tank, without boiling.. i question the need for a food grade hose :Smile:at the extorsionate prices i.e. around £35 +.:Eeek:
as we use a seperate small jug for fresh water drinking ( not boiled, tea , coffee etc & cooking ) or preferably something with alcohol in.:Doh:.. i have a cheap ebay ( less than £10 ) flat hose that does the job well and you can chuck it after a season or two; the so called high quality ones dont last much longer.. and cost 4 x the price.:Eeek:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I've had one in the van for two years... but, it hasn't been out of the box yet! Bought thinking it would be handy, but just use much shorter lengths of ordinary hose for filling, and sometimes a watering can for topping up.

It might yet be needed sometime, but the occasion hasn't arisen yet.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
This is the one I have

you don't have to reel all of it out to use it or empty it to store it.

It us essentially 3 smaller bore tube welded together.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We've got one and depending on how far away we are from the tap , use it regularly. We drink the water from our taps (sterilizing the tank and pipes with Milton solution to keep things fresh.)
We have a shorter length for when nearer too .

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
We always drink the water from our tanks - although we are a bit careful where we fill up!

Decided against a flat hose because they have to be completely unrolled to use, and they get bad press. We use a drinking water standard (blue) pipe, about 7 mtres long, which works well. If we cannot get that close to a tap my backup is a 20ltr container which I use to pour into the tank.

Jeff O

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

I had one.....never again....I have a normal hose pipe in three different lengths.. but can be connected together if required....the fold flat..In France sometimes they are a menace at a borne and other people are waiting for you to un-roll all your hose pipe all over the place making sure you have no kinks!!....when you only needed say 2m..also they are normally a small bore tube and they take ages to fill your on board tank 100 liters +...ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:winky:..get the deck chair out luv another flat hose :winky: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mel:thumb:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
My flat cassette roll up one is good for watering the garden as it resembles a sprinkler with leaks all along the crease, started at 15 metres and when I threw it away last week was about 2 metres.

I have seen Ray's perforated hose in action & the camp site may want to use it to water the grass. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Bought one at the start of last season what a total waste of money.
Had to be completely unrolled to use, had to be completely emptied to roll back up, the cassette was so flimsy totally useless. Add to that it leaked like a sieve after a few times using it. By the end of August I dumped it in a nice green skip on a campsite, gone back to my trusty garden hose we've had for the last 6 years, and yes we do drink the water from our tank.
Don't waste your money:thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Bought one at the start of last season what a total waste of money.
Had to be completely unrolled to use, had to be completely emptied to roll back up, the cassette was so flimsy totally useless. Add to that it leaked like a sieve after a few times using it. By the end of August I dumped it in a nice green skip on a campsite, gone back to my trusty garden hose we've had for the last 6 years, and yes we do drink the water from our tank.
Don't waste your money:thumb:

and yes we do drink the water from our tank.

YES WE DO

Don't waste your money......I agree:thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I used to be able to get our old van near to the tap on our drive so only used shorter hoses. However, with the new van the water tank is the other side so decided to invest in a flat cassette hose for convenience of size. Also, as the water tank is larger we will no longer have to fill up each day on site so a long hose will have more value (used to top up using a 25l jerry can).

As others have said they can be a beggar to roll onto the cassette again after use but practice seems to make perfect. It seems to be better than a couple of garden cassette hoses I had in pre-motorhome days.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Also had one .., an expensive food grade type.. lasted about a season before being binned..

in addition to what has already been said about unrolling etc.. .. if you don't wash it clean and get rid of all the little bits of grit it will soon end up being punctured.. also damaged easily if driven over..

resorted to using good quality Hozelok hose..

Also seen people wrestling with the spiral hoses ... :roflmto: what a palaver ..

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
They do seem to get a bad press don't they ::bigsmile: I have one full length,which doesn't get used vey often (but is great on the rare occasions I can't get close to the source)and one about 5mtrs long,which is in constant use :thumb: We don't have room for big,thick coiled hoses-so the flat ones suit us fine.On one site we did join the two together,and that worked well.Had them both 3 yrs now.

Mike

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have a high quality one and a spiral one. Both get regular use as a fulltimer.

The spiral one gets used for short runs. The flat one for long runs and I connect them both together for really long runs.

Both have been in use since 2005 when I got my first van, fulltiming use for the last 3 years.

the spiral hose has just given up the ghost on the connectors. I think I may have stood on it lol.

I don't fight with the spiral one. Takes a bit of practice but you soon get the technique..

Wouldn't be without my flat one to be honest. Sturdy casing on it.
I don't empty it before rolling up. I just unclip both ends and roll it back onto the cassette which squeezes all the excess water out.

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
We have one of the three tubes joined together type. It is in a cassette and you do not have to unroll any more than you need and it rolls up on the cassette without having to be drained. Have had it several years and use it whenever needed. We did have one of the cloth lay flat ones that only lasted a short time so it appears you get what you pay for. Also 15 metres stores in a space only 15 inches by 2 (why don't I use metric or imperial without mixing - you should see the confusion at B&Q - 10 metres of 3x2 or an 8x4 board of 9mm MDF!)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I seem to have quite a collection.

1. Short ordinary food grade 5m for when the tap is close
2. " " " 10m
3. 20m layflat very rarely used
4. 40L aquaroll with submersible pump to fill tank
5. Watering can.

In practice I could have a clear out just keep the 5m and the aquaroll which are the ones I use the most. The long layflat one very rarely.

Three aquarolls full will fill the tank.

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
I have a lay flat food grade one which I use regularly but only had it a few months so can't comment on how long it will last. Work well but as others have said it is a pain to have to unroll it all the way and rolling it back is an equal pain as all the water has to be squeezed out first.
Brother in law has a Brunner which is brilliant but I have read, on here I think, that if the connector breaks you can't just fit an ordinary one and effectively that's it and you would have to replace the whole thing.
Last couple of time we were out and needed to fill up I used a bucket and funnel, got soaked bad move don't go there. And a collapsible container, which was better (note to self get a watering can):thumb:

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Forget flat food grade hose, we've 3 food grade hose, 1 x 6m for close up, and 2 x 8m with all the connectors for the further away supplies, never had a problem in 18 months, Recently bought a Tesco cheapo flexi funnel and have found iot very convenient for top ups if on site for longer stays using the 5ltr containers we prefer for drinking water. (Don't use water from tank for drinking, beverages etc) It works for us. :thumb::thumb:

dewaltman

Free Member
May 19, 2008
south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years , tugging for 27 years
after trying all different types i have for the past 2 years been using the same one as Phil ie the one with 3 tubes (i think it might be a brunner ) and although a slower fill seems to be holding up to the job better than all the other flat hoses ive had including the white £35 approx hose

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Had enough of the flat as said by others rolling out and back leaking useless after a season give me normal hose in different lengths so you can join together.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
We have a flat hose that rarely gets used, only for long pipe needed. What we use most of the time is a marine grade pottable type hose thats 5m and 3/4 inch bore. Makes fill ups so much faster depending on tap pressure. And it only cost us about £8 at a local stock clearance shop :thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We use a flat roll type.. Paid little for it as they all seem a bit duff and expected to get no more than a year out of it..

Year four now, currently been plugged in to the side of the van for the past 2 months and still going strong.

Having said that, it IS a pain in the bum and rarely use it when on road trips, only when plotted up for at least several days..

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We had bought a few roll flat hoses all have gone either broken or split along its length as it has got brittle so we invested in some blue food hose, two lengths to fit together as and when we need the extra length and we have kept the cheap garden hose just in case but that made the water foul tasting so keep it for little jobs like using it to let waste out when we are near the waste outlet but don't quite reach with the washing machine waste outlet that we bought to let water out into a black waste container, phew I do go on don't I ?
Anyway we do drink the water and have done since using our van 7 years ago (not the same van)

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Storage can be a problem with normal round hose.

When we got our MH it came with a 25' length of Blue hose so I got a canvas bucket, the sort fishermen use, and carefully wound the hose into the canvas bucket. You leave the start sticking out plug it into the tap then just take out as much as you need to reach the van. Rewind back in when finished.

It takes a bit of practise but I found it worth it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back