Flat water hose - any good?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Travelbug1, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Travelbug1

Travelbug1 Read Only Funster

As the title suggests does anyone have any comments about the fold flat flat food grade water hoses you can get.
    I was thinking it could be useful for M/H as it takes up less space but never having used one I didn't want to buy another useless gadget!

2. Mikemoss

Mikemoss Read Only Funster

Ours has been very good so far (touch wood) and we've had it for about five years now. The only mild downside is that you have to make sure it's completely empty before attempting to wind it back onto its cassette.

Others have asked a similar question before and got mixed responses, so it will be interesting to see how others have fared with their's.

3. Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Saves a load of space compared to what I used to take, the reel is a bit flimsy, having said that I've not broke it yet and thats rare!!

Good flow
    Saves space
    Easy to use
    does what it says on the tin

4. Popeye

Popeye Funster

I have one on my boat and it's been very useful over the years. They have to be thoroughly emptied before they roll flat though and from reading threads on here they are not best liked by funsters. :thumb:

5. Rayb182

Rayb182 Funster Life Member

My flat cassette roll up one is good for watering the garden as it resembles a sprinkler with leaks all along the crease, started at 15 metres and when I threw it away last week was about 2 metres.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Snitrats

Snitrats Funster

Bought one 6 months ago and never used it,as you have to unroll all 15m to use it, so keep a short hose about 4m to fill up at motorhome service point. for interim fills without moving the van , a container & whale pump:thumb:

7. Phill D

Phill D

unless you drink water direct from your MH tank, without boiling.. i question the need for a food grade hose :Smile:at the extorsionate prices i.e. around £35 +.:Eeek:
    as we use a seperate small jug for fresh water drinking ( not boiled, tea , coffee etc & cooking ) or preferably something with alcohol in.:Doh:.. i have a cheap ebay ( less than £10 ) flat hose that does the job well and you can chuck it after a season or two; the so called high quality ones dont last much longer.. and cost 4 x the price.:Eeek:

8. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

I've had one in the van for two years... but, it hasn't been out of the box yet! Bought thinking it would be handy, but just use much shorter lengths of ordinary hose for filling, and sometimes a watering can for topping up.

It might yet be needed sometime, but the occasion hasn't arisen yet.

9. lunarman

lunarman Funster

• Like Like x 2
  10. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

We've got one and depending on how far away we are from the tap , use it regularly. We drink the water from our taps (sterilizing the tank and pipes with Milton solution to keep things fresh.)
    We have a shorter length for when nearer too .

11. motorhomer

motorhomer Read Only Funster

We always drink the water from our tanks - although we are a bit careful where we fill up!

Decided against a flat hose because they have to be completely unrolled to use, and they get bad press. We use a drinking water standard (blue) pipe, about 7 mtres long, which works well. If we cannot get that close to a tap my backup is a 20ltr container which I use to pour into the tank.

Jeff O

12. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

I had one.....never again....I have a normal hose pipe in three different lengths.. but can be connected together if required....the fold flat..In France sometimes they are a menace at a borne and other people are waiting for you to un-roll all your hose pipe all over the place making sure you have no kinks!!....when you only needed say 2m..also they are normally a small bore tube and they take ages to fill your on board tank 100 liters +...ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:Wink:..get the deck chair out luv another flat hose :Wink: :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Mel:thumb:

13. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

14. keith

keith Funster

I have seen Ray's perforated hose in action & the camp site may want to use it to water the grass. :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Bought one at the start of last season what a total waste of money.
    Had to be completely unrolled to use, had to be completely emptied to roll back up, the cassette was so flimsy totally useless. Add to that it leaked like a sieve after a few times using it. By the end of August I dumped it in a nice green skip on a campsite, gone back to my trusty garden hose we've had for the last 6 years, and yes we do drink the water from our tank.
    Don't waste your money:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

and yes we do drink the water from our tank.

YES WE DO

Don't waste your money......I agree:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  17. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I used to be able to get our old van near to the tap on our drive so only used shorter hoses. However, with the new van the water tank is the other side so decided to invest in a flat cassette hose for convenience of size. Also, as the water tank is larger we will no longer have to fill up each day on site so a long hose will have more value (used to top up using a 25l jerry can).

As others have said they can be a beggar to roll onto the cassette again after use but practice seems to make perfect. It seems to be better than a couple of garden cassette hoses I had in pre-motorhome days.

18. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Also had one .., an expensive food grade type.. lasted about a season before being binned..

in addition to what has already been said about unrolling etc.. .. if you don't wash it clean and get rid of all the little bits of grit it will soon end up being punctured.. also damaged easily if driven over..

resorted to using good quality Hozelok hose..

Also seen people wrestling with the spiral hoses ... :Laughing: what a palaver ..

19. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

They do seem to get a bad press don't they :BigGrin: I have one full length,which doesn't get used vey often (but is great on the rare occasions I can't get close to the source)and one about 5mtrs long,which is in constant use :thumb: We don't have room for big,thick coiled hoses-so the flat ones suit us fine.On one site we did join the two together,and that worked well.Had them both 3 yrs now.

Mike

20. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I have a high quality one and a spiral one. Both get regular use as a fulltimer.

The spiral one gets used for short runs. The flat one for long runs and I connect them both together for really long runs.

Both have been in use since 2005 when I got my first van, fulltiming use for the last 3 years.

the spiral hose has just given up the ghost on the connectors. I think I may have stood on it lol.

I don't fight with the spiral one. Takes a bit of practice but you soon get the technique..

Wouldn't be without my flat one to be honest. Sturdy casing on it.
    I don't empty it before rolling up. I just unclip both ends and roll it back onto the cassette which squeezes all the excess water out.