Flat cab battery

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by DavidG58, Nov 14, 2013.

1. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Left my inverter plugged into front cigar lighter socket, thought it was protected by ignition, now know it isn't!! :Doh:

Hab battery fine, cab battery shows 12.4V on controller, but turn on ignition, drops to 9.6V and tells me to call workshop!!

Would be nice, but we are on a no power beach site about a mile from any road

Do you think my solar panel will recover the cab battery before dark? it is showing an output of 2500mA, but I am not sure about the distribution between hab and cab

we do not need to move till the morning, so might get a bit more sun tomorrow, really bright at the moment, but 9.6 sounds pretty bad to me, although it picks up when ignition is off

What do you lot think?

Please do not tell me I should not have left it plugged in, I know that now, how can I start my MH? we are in the RAC who I think will come down track to beach if all else fails

Life was so good until we tried to move to put up awning!!

But at least we know we have a problem

David

2. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Do you have a b to b block fitted ? They are not standard as such.. If you have then you MIGHT just make it, but I have a feeling you may not..

Do you have jump leads ? If you do just get a jump from any kind soul you can find !

3. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

No B 2 B, going to give it an hour to see if we get lucky, and the rain to stop, then walk the mile back to the farm, see what options they have.

:helpsos:

4. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

I know it doesn't help in this situation, but I carry jump leads that are long enough to reach from the hab batteries to under the bonnet to jump start the MH.
    I have never had to use them yet in that situation, and I am not even sure that it would work, but I am prepared to give it a go should the need arise.
    Oh, and I also carry one of those generators, so beloved of many on here. :Wink:

5. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

If you have no B to B then the solar panels will only be feeding the hab batteries I am afraid..

Maybe, if the cab battery is in really good nick, you MIGHT get lucky and it will recover just enough ( although pretty doubtful to be honest )

If the van is manual gearbox they could always give you a tow start with a traaaakkkerrrr :thumb:

BUT !!! Be careful if it is a late van as some of them really do not like to be bump started !

6. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

7. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

If you have a handbook, check if solar can be selected to just one battery..
    No good sitting there and finding out it does not even do the cab battery..

On the newer Autotrails you can select it to do HAB only, CAB only or a smart charge that monitors them both and charges which one it needs..

8. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Same as mine :thumb:

9. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

We have an auto box so no jump start option (I mean't bump start of course)

No manual for the solar panel controller (not manufacturer fit)

Waiting for RAC :Blush:

Not got much charge left in laptop, not plugging anything in anywhere for now

Update later, when running hopefully

Thanks for support :thumb:

David

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  10. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

Swop batteries!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yorick

Yorick Funster

What for ? Beer ?

• Like Like x 2
  12. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I never know if you lot are serious or having a game with me, I presume you can't swap leisure for cab battery, but may well be wrong, however I have been married to the same girl for over 30 years and brought up 2 daughters, so am now very used to be wrong regardless

It took me 2 hours to find the battery on the cab, even then I only found the cover which would need tools I don't own to remove!! Let alone swap anything

However I do belong to the RAC and a nice man with van has jump started us, now deliberating how long to run engine for to ensure we start tomorrow!! Got about 11 gallons of diesel so reckon an hour will do no harm

What to worry about next then?

David :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

Glad you got sorted:thumb::thumb:

I wouldn't normally interchange batteries but if I was in the do do I definitely would.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
    • Like Like x 1