Flat battery

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by MHVirgins, Aug 8, 2014.

1. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

I had the van MOT'd last week, everything ok, but have just been out to start it up and the battery is as flat as a pancake.

It is used every day and can't think what has caused this, but the indicator is reading "5.9 poor". I'm assuming that it's completely discharged now, so does that mean it's knackered?

Would be grateful for any advice/ideas........thanks in advance.

Bill

2. rangitira

rangitira Funster

First make sure there is nothing left on, in my recent case, the internal cab light had been left on, standing in the hab area you can't see the light, I only found out once I'd reconnected the Battery after it had been charged and I got in to start it up.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Hi rangitira, just checking over everything just now. It was dark when I locked it up last night and didn't notice any lights on. I've always got the EHU connected up and never had a problem before with the battery. We were on a CL for two weeks recently and never moved the van once and it started without any problems.
    Will let you know how I get on......thanks for your reply.

Bill

• Like Like x 1
  4. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Just waiting on the AA coming out to have a look to see if it will charge.

Bill

5. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Hi rangitira, the AA man has just left us, it turned out to be loose positive terminal. He tightened it up and the reading showed 12....good.
    It's a heavy duty Exide battery and he reckons that the terminal hadn't been fully tightened to start with and has worked loose over the year since we got the van.
    Thank goodness for that, I was beginning to see £ signs flashing, what a good sound to hear it bursting into life again(y)

Thanks again, Bill

• Like Like x 3
  6. sb8263

sb8263 Funster

AA man had to come out to tighten up a battery cable,,,,,dont you have a socket set,,,:rofl::rofl::rofl:

7. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Cheeky b*ggar, yes I do have a socket set. I use the van every day and it always starts first time, so was surprised to find it wouldn't start given that the battery is barely a year old.
    According to the AA man, it must have been working loose in the year since we got it.
    I'm sure I'm not the first one to overlook the most obvious and simplest explanation:(

Bill

8. sb8263

sb8263 Funster

was only joking,,,honest....(y) if you pay a breakdown service for their cover,,,then i would use them too,,,,