Flat battery

Discussion in 'Fiat' started by onthebeach, Sep 27, 2009.

1. onthebeach

onthebeach Formerly 'Leggo'

Hi All,

I have a Fiat Ducato 2.8 JTD 2005.

Hope someone can help me, I found the vehicle battery was flat this morning. I think the onboard charger is working ok just time for a new battery. I was wondering is there anything I should do before disconnecting the battery and replacing it with the new one. I have turned off the alarm but would be grateful if anyone has any tips, before I proceed with this.

Thanks
    Leggo:thumb:

2. nomadic

nomadic Funster

Just make sure you have your radio code, as you will need it when the new battery has been installed.

However, before you do remove the battery, check all the connections on the multi plate, on the positive pole, are tight. We thought we had to change ours, shortly after purchase, the battery would not turn the engine. Our Fait man found two loose connections on this plate, saved fait replacing a battery....worth a look.

good luck

Nomadic

3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Just be sure it is the battery and not something draining it or a failure of the charging.

4. onthebeach

Thanks Nomadic just been out and checked all connections, seem all ok.

Thanks for reply Brian, the only thing I can think off to test the battery is tomorrow I can disconnect the battery and then connect another charger to it and see if the battery comes to life. This is the only thing I can think off at the moment.

The onboard charger is keeping the leisure battery charged. (dont know but I would guess the onboard charge is ok?)

5. sandyketton

sandyketton Read Only Funster

I agree with Nomadic, check the connections on the battery.
    I had the same problem of the electrics (battery) being dead. Twice I was started by the AA but neither time did they (or I) check the connections.
    A van driver employed by the Channel tunnel helped when it wouldn't start in the queue to get onto the train and he discovered the problem.....loose positive pole connection.
    Hope this helps
    Sandy

Edit: Sorry. I'm a bit late with this.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  6. sinbad1

sinbad1 Deleted User

My on-board charger only charges the leisure battery, unless programmed to charge the starter battery not both at the same time, options are in the control pannel.

Regards

7. onthebeach

Hi

Thanks for all your replies. Just thought I would let you know, the problem was the faulty battery had fused one of the fuses on top of the multi plate. Which has resulted in new fuse and a new battery.:cry:

Now I am much wiser because of this post and the help that I received.

Also now carry spare fuses for top of plate!!!

So now all is ok and ready to go.

Many thanks