Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
After a leaving my camper in storage for a few weeks I find my battery is flat. With forethought I should have parked with my nose facing outwards; instead I am nose-in and access with jump leads will not be easy.

I have been tempted to buy a 2 stroke suitcase generator for other reasons. Would it have connections on it that will allow me to jump start the camper?

Second question. My battery is rather awkwardly placed under the bonnet (Fiat Ducato 2004) and jump leads do not grip easily. Is there any attachments that could be fitted that would make it easier?

Thanks

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
I may be behind the times but I have yet to come across a generator with a jumpstart facility. It'll most likely have a lead for 12V battery charging though.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
to make jump starting easier, many commercial fleet vans have anderson connectors fitted. they then just plug in the jump leads or booster and are assured of a good connection

it sounds like you need a big 4x4 to tow the van out and jump start

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
to make jump starting easier, many commercial fleet vans have anderson connectors fitted. they then just plug in the jump leads or booster and are assured of a good connection

it sounds like you need a big 4x4 to tow the van out and jump start

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
If the engine battery charges off the mains, I would run generator and give it half an hour hooked up, should charge enough to start I would guess

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I believe you can get Lithium Power Banks now that will jump start a MH - you have to make sure you buy the Van one and not the car one though. They are less expensive than a genny but not so flexible for other uses.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
not criticising your post John, just saying that there are cheaper sellers. The leads you linked to are exactly the same and in my experience excellent quality

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
It's all double dutch to me but unfotunately I don't always receive text here and missed power disconnect ones. Hubby went to storage but his Suzuki wouldn't jump start the pvc, the storage guy is going to trickle charge it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
I'm not sure that 5m jump leads will help - how long is your Moho?

If it's a one-off problem (i.e., you will reverse park in the future), then you just need to borrow another set of jump leads from someone else, clip them together like colour to like, and wrap something round the junction to prevent accidental contact with either the other lead, or the Moho.

There may be some losses at the junction but, provided you don't try to crank the engine over for too long, it should get you started.

Later Ducato models, where the vehicle battery is buried under the passenger footwell, do have spades under the bonnet for easy connection of jump leads - the live one is well protected with a clip down cover!!

Or you could just call out the RAC/AA, if you are a member!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back