LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Just been out to the van (fiat Ducati 3.0L) and the vehicle battery is flat. Question is can I jump start direct on to the battery or will this cause other problems.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Yes, connect another battery with jump leads---leave for a while ,then try starting.
If in doubt disconnect battery leads and charge up for a while with a charger

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
if you look in the handbook (page 158)you will see it has a battery jump connection point under the bonnet as the battery is under the floor

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Southampton

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Yes I saw that and when I connected the charger nothing happened so I was assuming this has a disconnect somewhere. I have connected the charger direct to the battery and it is now accepting a charge. Fingers crossed it should charge in a couple of hours at least enough to start.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If nothing happened when you used the under bonnet battery post one of two things spring to mind
1.It has been disconected possibly during conversion
2. You did not have a proper earth on the other charger lead, keep trying metal parts untill the charger shows signs of life:thumb:
If still no result
see 1.:Angry:

OP
OP
Southampton

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Now got a fully charged battery and all I get when turning the key is a loud click from engine compartment. Any ideas anybody?

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Just had this prob on my 02 1.9 tdi it was the solinoid

(Starter was 15 months old:Sad:)

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I do not know if this is relevant but I remember reading that Fiat had fitted a main fuse that was to small and blew on some vans?I cannot remember any more details but think it was a bigger fuse they had to fit

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Check all connections....battery, solenoid , starter motor, make sure all connections are clean and TIGHT.

If jumping from another CAR have the engine running at quite a high-ish speed...let the engine of the donor battery run for a short while before you attempt to start......car batteries are a little on the short side of cranking power..if its another motorhome, Van, small truck, then fine

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if it clicks, its not going to be the fuse

try the relays in the fusebox behind the nearside headlamp or starter solenoid. It would help to know where the click is coming from.

OP
OP
Southampton

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks guys, had to go out earlier and it is to dark now so will look at the suggestions in the morning. I hope it is nothing too serious as I am due to trade it in next week for a new van. It's Sod's law, just when you don't need any problems they happen. Thanks anyway, will check it out tomorrow.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just a click......probably a poor earth to the engine.

the earth may be good enough to allow a low amp current....key to starter solenoid, just a couple of amps maybe....but once the starter solenoid kicks in the cranking current is massive and the earth may not cope.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Southampton

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Sorted

Got it sorted. It was the main in line fuse from the battery, the CAL 5 fuse. Had a 30 mile round trip to get one but all okay again now. Apparently speaking to the Fiat man this is not an uncommon fault. Anyway thanks guys...oh and the charging posts now show a voltage, so if no voltage across the charging posts first check the fuse on the battery terminal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back