Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
se london
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 47
Exp
xmas 12
The engine battery a Fiat Ducato 2800cc in a 2007 Carthago is flat, I want to jump start it but not sure whether this would damage the electronics, any help please.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Under bonnet is a black plastic case, lift the lid and this is your + connection. Attach - to any point on engine then you can jump it off.
Do Not attach to battery terminals!

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Modern electronics do not like it.
Had a card blow on a jag cos apprentice did not understand the dangers.
Cost the garage a few Bob he he!

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
On a modern vehicle you can fry the ECU if you connect direct to battery!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Why`s that ? I thought that was the way to do it. It worked in 1979 on my mini 1000 (y)
the jump post under the bonnet is connected directly to the battery so if you can be bothered to access the battery then carry on....but the post is easier.
The reasoning for the post is the battery will be inaccessible....under the cab floor or right at the back of the engine bay etc.
If the battery is easily accessible there will be no jump post so it shoots down the 'modern vehicles dont like it' theory.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Nope having had a Jag ECU fried due to apprentice connecting direct to battery I will never do it!
Cost the garage a few Bob cos they were honest.
Just my personal experience as a modern vehicle electronics numpty.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I can`t really see it making much difference, battery + post or remote + post, power will all go to the same place surely.
@pappajohn convenience explanation makes more sense.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I think the problem is when people either connect with the key in ignition or with an engine running.
Or disconnect with a key in the ignition or an engine running..

This is the correct way to do it.

Some cars specifically say do not not jump start in the manual I believe?

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Not FIAT but Ford state that the negative connection should be made to the body earth & not the negative battery post, & it's ok to connect the positive connection to the battery positive, or in FIAT / SEVAL vehicles to the positive post under the bonnet.

My 2014 Mondeo has no access to the battery negative post.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The jump post on my car is under the bonnet on the inner wing just behind the headlamp.....the battery is around 10ft behind it in the boot.
To access the battery means removing the junk from the boot, then the stiff molded carpet liner, then the ply boot floor, then the molded plastic jack/tool tray which then exposes the spare wheel and battery.
And that is,why there is a jump post under the bonnet.

The ECU is under the dashboard fixed to the bulkhead/firewall.
The jump post wire goes to the starter solenoid then back to the battery.
So....the post is much closer to the ECU than the battery is.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
If the battery posts were available can't see a problem using them directly bearing in mind points made above, and sometimes the positive post has other fused connections directly to it... If you inadvertently connected to the wrong side of the fuse while jumping you would take those fuses out possibly causing damage to that circuit. .. I think that was mentioned in another similar post recently...
Andy.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
^^^^^^^ I think what Andy said is the reason for not trying to connect to the +ve post on a Fiat based van. Add the fact that is is safer not to be connecting just above something that is potentially explosive, plus the fact that it's just so much more convenient to use the terminal under the bonnet provided specifically for the job.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Not FIAT but Ford state that the negative connection should be made to the body earth & not the negative battery post, & it's ok to connect the positive connection to the battery positive, or in FIAT / SEVAL vehicles to the positive post under the bonnet.

My 2014 Mondeo has no access to the battery negative post.

My 2010 Mondeo doesn't either but there is a -ve post next to the battery case

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
My Range Rover had points under the bonnet to connect jump leads to. The actual battery terminals had a technical explosive device which blows the battery connection in the event of an accident!

I don't believe that jump starting if done properly should be an issue. If you can jump start a modern Range Rover a Motorhome shouldn't be too difficult.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
My 2010 Mondeo doesn't either but there is a -ve post next to the battery case

Same here - the thinking is that whether jump starting or just charging the battery, the negative connection attaches directly to the body earth & not the negative post on the battery, motorhome or car or van or whatever.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
AA
Recommended
Step by step

Before connecting any leads make sure the vehicles are the same voltage and that they're parked with their handbrakes on and ignition off. The vehicles must not touch as this can cause sparks or an explosion.

1. Use the red jump lead to connect the positive terminal of the donor vehicle's good battery to the positive terminal of the flat battery.
  2. Then use the black lead to connect the negative terminal of the good battery to a suitable earthing point on the engine or chassisof the other vehicle. This earthing point must be away from the battery and fuel system.
  3. With both leads connected wait three minutes for the voltages to equalise before starting either engine.
  4. Start the engine of the donor car and allow it to run for a minute.
  5. With the donor car engine still running, start the engine of the other car and leave both running at a fast idle for ten minutes.
  6. Don't remove the jump leads while the engines are running as this can cause serious damage to the electronics on either car.
  7. If the jump leads get hot switch off both engines and allow the leads to cool to avoid a possible fire.
  8. Turn off the ignition on both cars and then disconnect the leads carefully in the reverse order to the way that they were connected. Be careful not to touch the clips against each other or against the car bodywork.
  9. Start the car that had the dead battery using its own battery power. If it won't start this could indicate a more serious problem with the charging/ignition system that will need investigating by a professional.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back