Flat battery causes (1 Viewer)

Feb 13, 2017
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
2007 N-B Arto 69 EGB
Exp
I'm a newbie
So... went to get th van today and it wouldn't start.

It almost turned over first time and then second time nothing. Assuming this must be flat battery.

We have had it for a few months with no battery problems.
I last drove it two weeks ago - although I went to see it one week ago and started the engine just to check it was ok (!) but didn't drive it.
I am guessing that was a bad move as starting it will have drained the battery and then not driving will not have replaced that charge.

Is this normal though - for battery to be flat after just that?

Only other thing I noticed was that I had left the electrical control panel on in the habitation area and there may have been one or two lights on in the hab area.
Aren't the habitation battery and the vehicle battery totally separate systems though?

Thanks so much for any help you can give.

Andy Bramhall

p.s. It is a 2007 N-B on an Iveco 3.0.

OP
OP
A
Feb 13, 2017
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
2007 N-B Arto 69 EGB
Exp
I'm a newbie
So... I just found a really good guy locally.

He can potentially add as second solar panel and would also fit a duo charge regulator which can split the power supply to both the vehicle and the leisure batteries - and charge them intelligently by monitoring the voltages.

Do you guys think that will be enough for me or should I also fit a battery master?
We don't really spend many days parked up on EHU. I need a system that can keep a reasonable battery voltage for a good few weeks even through winter when the van is parked up in storage.

What do you think?

Thanks again for all your help/advice.

Upvote 0

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Do you guys think that will be enough for me or should I also fit a battery master?
We don't really spend many days parked up on EHU. I need a system that can keep a reasonable battery voltage for a good few weeks even through winter when the van is parked up in storage.

andy from reading the description of the size of your existing solar your best option would be to ditch that and start from scratch... if you add a panel to the existing set up it should have similar characteristics and that panel from your description is tiny...
if your installer goes down the route of fitting a dual charge controller id say you don't need a battery master...
solar is good but during the winter you don't always get a lot out of a normal array ie 120 to 200w so ok for keeping them topped up but if you are using the batteries you will need another charging source ... either mains or vehicle alternator..
again just my views...
andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Andy

I think you are getting good advice from @andy63 the only thing I would add is get a MPPT solar regulator as that will make the most of any available sunlight.

But as I said before and even more important with more solar power, make sure that the controller can charge the Gel batteries that run you habitation.

Martin

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back