Flat as...

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Phyly, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Phyly

Phyly Read Only Funster

Went to my 'van which is in storage and the 'van battery is flat:cry:

Can I just use jumper leads from my car, a 2.0lt diesel to jump start the 'van? or do I have call out the boys at Green Flag.

2. dikyenfo

dikyenfo Read Only Funster

Connect the live terminal battery to battery and then connect the car battery neg. to the chassis on MH. Run car engine and then operate starter on MH. Good luck

3. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

Connect it as in previous post and it should jump start.
    It's only a van after all.

John

4. Phyly

Phyly Read Only Funster

Many thanks...you keep hearing horror stories about people blowing the electrics in the donor car!!

5. wildbri

wildbri Read Only Funster

It is suggested that you turn on lights and heater fan in the vehicle to be started before you jump start to prevent a surge from the vehicles alternator when it starts, this can damage the electronics on modern vehicles, or so I am told. regards bri :Smile:
    P S I have started many vehicles without doing this and have had no problems, but with modern electronics who knows..

6. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

depending on how flat the battery is and how long it's been like it it may now be dead, better to remove it and charge it properly rather than start and drive someplace only to find you still have a flat battery when you try to restart to come home.
    Good luck

7. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Phyly........under my Fiat bonnet on the right is a black plastic cap with a + sign on, lift the cap to connect the red + positive lead on, and on the front bodywork above the front grill to the right is a nut and bolt with a long thread showing and stamped at the side into the panel is the earth sign..... one line vertical three lines horizontal getting smaller to the top (Like a christmas tree stood up or on its Side)..clip your - earth to that.

MEL:thumb:

(Thats is on the latest Fiat 130 multijet 2008 model)