Flashing (2 Viewers)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Complaints about lorrys overtaking are pretty much the same as complaining about someone who stays in the middle lane to me, if you want to overtake them , what's wrong with the outside lane (n)
I understood if you were over 3500 kg you could not use the outside lane can anyone clarify that please?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I understood if you were over 3500 kg you could not use the outside lane can anyone clarify that please?
We are not over but don't think it applies to mhs anyway, don't take my word though

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
No, 7,5 tonnes .

Broken Link Removed

Have you never got stuck behind a 90mph scaffold lorry using the outside lane ?:D
Thanks@gus-lopez no as I try not to use the outside lane on motorways, to fast for me I'm only a plodder like to smell the roses as I pass by them.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi Big bus man.
You forgot to add to the tipper list. "Overtaking on blind bends and double white lines etc....."
Tea Bag (One time, Limestone Cowboy! pre limiters! LOL)

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Complaints about lorrys overtaking are pretty much the same as complaining about someone who stays in the middle lane to me, if you want to overtake them , what's wrong with the outside lane (n)
I cant as I'm always towing. Think there should be a minimum speed limit on dual carriageway / motorways, I started to count the number of cars between Devon & Brands last week that were being overtaken by lorries got to 25 & stopped counting. they cause more hold ups than anything !

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
NOT to my knowledge

Its a very grey area. It did used to be the case in france that if someone flashed it meant they were not going to let you go.

But like the priorite a droite rule its now generally not the case.

I love France, but I do wish they would learn how to use roundabouts properly!

Jon

btw
I had one pull in the lefthand lane at some traffic lights and then turn right - in front of me without indicating. whooaa!!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
In France if someone flashes their lights at you it means they are telling you THEY have right of way
Still works mainly that way here, especially on a motorway. In town someone might flash to let a car turn across them but you don't see it much. With the trucks it is mainly the drivers who go abroad that know & use the flashing to let you in .

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Guide to Motorways: Outside Lane Restrictions
The Offence
It is an offence to drive a vehicle in the outside lane of a motorway which is:

1. towing a trailer; or
  2. a goods vehicle with a maximum laden weight exceeding 7.5 tonnes; or
  3. a goods vehicle between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes without a speedlimiter being fitted; or
  4. a passenger vehicle which can carry 8 or more passengers with a maximum laden weight exceeding 7.5 tonnes; or
  5. a passenger vehicle which can carry 8 or more passengers with a maximum laden weight between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes without a speedlimiter being fitted. ( from... http://www.motordefenceteam.co.uk/offence-guide/motorways.htm

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I have certainly noticed the difference, and experienced the same whether driving the MH, a coach, or an Artic.
There are fewer British drivers behind the wheel of commercial vehicles nowadays, and Eastern European drivers don't adopt the "unwritten rule" of flashing you in. :( Even some Traffic Police drivers flash you in. ;)

The only time I have experienced the "courtesy flash" across the water, is when I have overtaken either a UK or Dutch registered truck.

Not those in very recently registered trucks, as they are legal up to 50 MPH on single carriageways, and 60 MPH, on dual carriageways and motorways now. ;)

It is unlikely that fleet managers will have the speed limiters on older registered trucks tweeked, to comply with the higher speed limit................as that would do nothing for their eco policies, ie, fuel economy and reduced emissions, which appears to be selling point for some of the big retailers.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Its been 60 mph for HGV s on motorways for years but by law limiters are set to 56 mph. The power of Europe i imagine. BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Another common failing among non-lorry drivers is the inability to understand momentum.

If a lorry slows down on a hill while he waits for you to make your intentions clear, it may take many minutes and a lot of gearchanges to regain it.

But yes I do agree that ther are also some very poor lorry drivers out there - maybe we should pay them more??

Years ago yes but now with most artics 400 bhp plus picking up speed is not too difficult.. BUSBY.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Its been 60 mph for HGV s on motorways for years but by law limiters are set to 56 mph. The power of Europe i imagine. BUSBY.
Oh I know that, being Class 1 HGV & PSV qualified, and experienced. I just wasn't aware until recently, that although the speed limits had been raised on certain carraigways for HGVs, the EU Rules regarding speed limiters on newly registered vehicles from April 6th, remained as before.

Always willing to be educated/further informed though. ;)

Jock. :)

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
i am not allowed in the 3rd lane,so i can't overtake.
but most of the time i travel at 50mph, so dont overtake a lot

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Doesn't work when there are only two lanes ;):D

So why do lorries pull out from lane 1 when traffic is already almost alongside in lane 2 with the clear intention of overtaking and unable to move safely into lane 3 as they are already being overtaken by other vehicles? :whistle::D
Yep and Yep

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back