Flashing Fridge Control Panel ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by etap, Jun 15, 2015.

1. etap

etap

Just back from a trip to the heel of Italy which was great, however, the new fridge on our new Chausson 610 ( not automatic) Thetford would not always hold itself on mains, it often turned off and the display flashed, the fridge worked well on gas and also on 12volt, so been thinking maybe the electric power on sites we used ( mostly acsi sites) did not have enough amps.
    Before I contact Thetford was wondering if anyone could throw some light on the issue, be greatful for any help.
    Etap

2. icantremember

icantremember Funster

I would guess the mains power supply is unstable and producing low voltage. ... best stay on gas ..... Our fridge was damaged when this happened to us in France.
    If you have a tester it is easy to check the supply.

3. etap

etap

Thanks icantremember, which tester and how to test would be helpful, especially testing for amps.
    Etap

4. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

Reverse polarity perhaps,what does your trouble shooting guide say ?

5. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

I agree------we have seen quite a few fridges switch to gas when on EHU-----usually when breakfast power draw is on and voltage can be as low as 150volts------just leave on LPG during this time
    I believe it's VOLTS that you want to check

6. icantremember

icantremember Funster

As @Sundowners said it is volts you need to check and any mains tester should do this.
    If you don't have a tester available then stick with gas until you are on another site.

7. golly

golly Funster

Thetford fridges are notorious for a problem with the PCB. Ours went kaput on our first trip away and I have heard of a number of similar problems.

8. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

From what you are saying was it alright once you got out of Italy, or when back home?

That does rather support your own thoughts and those above, weak voltage (y)

I have read that fridges are more efficient on gas anyway and I don't think they use too much

9. etap

etap

Thanks for your replies.
    Trouble shooting guide says try another power source.
    Have not tried it at home yet, although sometimes abroad it worked well in places you wouldn't expect it to.
    I try not to get into electrics too much too little knowledge, but I do have a £5 tester which I use for batteries, is it possible to use this for voltage testing? If not is there a tester I can buy and use myself for testing voltage on site? Be great if I could as we used 15 campsites on our way to Puglia over the last month.
    Thanks again
    Etap

10. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Our Thetford kept dropping out on mains when in Croatia
    Got the meter out and found at peak use times on the site the voltage was dropping to just under 200.. That is all it was