flame retardant upholstery

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by david32, Mar 16, 2010.

1. david32

david32 Read Only Funster

I bought a new Auto sleeper C /B M/H in November 2009 and i thought you might like to
    know about a problem i have with sleeping on the upholstery of this M/H. After only using
    the M/H 5 times from new and only at weekends i fine that sleeping on the upholstery
    i get very bad skin rashes + itching all over my body this will last for most of the day.
    When i get home on Sunday night by Monday afternoon its away i went to see my doctor about it and he tells me that it is the chemicals used in the flame retardant foam
    that is giving me the rash and to stop sleeping on it as the longer i use it this will build up in my body and it will then take longer for my body to heal . My notorhoms:Blush: for the last 6 years
    all have been Rapido or Hymer and i have had no trouble with sleeping on the overhead bed. So to see if the doctor is right last weekend i put my silverscreen down on top
    of the upholstery them my sleeping bag on top of that and next morning on rash or itching all OK just thought you would like to know about my problem.

2. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Thats a bit annoying for you, but better to have flame resistant foam IMO.
    Why don't you get a memory foam mattress topper to put over the existing bed. It would be a lot more comfortable than the silver screen thats for sure. You would be able to leave it on as well , under a fitted sheet.
    Bev

3. takeaflight

takeaflight Read Only Funster

Hi david do you have anything over the upholstery, sheets or covers etc ?

If so may be the washing power/tabs, I had a terrible problem with shirts and under wear, turned out to be the washing tabs and conditioner. Now use fairy sensitive and give the washing powder draw on the machine a good going over now all ok.

Roy

4. david32

No never had a problem before once i used the silver screen to lie on all was ok

5. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

Don't take this the wrong way, but would a incontinence sheet over the mattress help?

Doug...

6. ips

ips Read Only Funster

Yes I had exact same problem, cant use cheapo bath products either and forget swimming pools with chlorine. :cry:

7. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

You said no problem with your previous Rapido or Hymer, I think you will find it is only the UK manufacturers that use Fire Retardant Foam.

8. david32

With the Hymer or Rapido the mattress is something like memory foam in the Auto Sleeper you lie on a upholstery foam and this where the fault lies. My doctor tell me that
    he would see this type of rash from fire retardant foam about four times a year by the way he had to send me for a test. So when the result came back and i started to use
    the silver screen on the first weekend after the test all was ok so on Tuesday night i sleeped in the M/H on my driveway without the silver screen under me and Wednesday morning i had the rash and itched all over. My wife wants me to buy a mattress topper for me to lie on but it be a west of money as this is sprayed with a
    fire retardant so it be £100 wasted .

9. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

David,
    could you put a well washed ( in non bio powder :Wink: ) double sleeping bag , over your bed then, under a fitted sheet.
    As long as its thick , i wouldn't think the flame retardant fumes would come through. That or a child's rubber backed toweling mattress protector.
    If all else fails you will have to sell up and buy an older model , which didn't have the flame retardant foam.
    Bev