LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We just drove all way to Nottingham to look at a van, liked it, offered the asking price & the owner won't make a decision until others have seen it!!!! WTF!:Sad:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Walk away.
If he comes back saying you can have it, he has neither equalled nor beaten the asking price.
Tell him you found another.
Play him at his own game.
Only one loser then.........him.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Oh I would be extremely pd off by that and would have emphazised you were meeting the asking price, not a bidding price so the deal should have been carried out.

smiffy502000

Free Member
Aug 5, 2012
sutton coldfield
Funster No
MH
coach built.
Exp
since 2008
in that case, I wouldn't buy it off him if he begged me!! he may regret not letting you have it for the asking price and get left with it unsold:ROFLMAO:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Nottingham ?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Tea Bag (Derbyshire :thumb::thumb:)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
If I were travelling some distance to view a vehicle I would ask the seller to call me if he sells it to someone else before I get there...

Maybe he promised people to hang on to it until they got a chance to view it and was just keeping his word.

If he calls back and tries to up the price you know what to do...

Was it being sold from his house?

If so "dog poo" and "letter box" spring to mind!

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We just drove all way to Nottingham to look at a van, liked it, offered the asking price & the owner won't make a decision until others have seen it!!!! WTF!:Sad:

You'll find something at Peterborough!

Don't drink too much though!!!!::bigsmile:

May 13, 2012
West Mids
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 6-2
Exp
since 2012
This happened to us and the fella practical begged us to buy it when he realized there wasn't any better offers on the horizon.

We declined on principal

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
When he calls to offer you the van tell him you can't make a decision until you have seen all the other vans. Then call him next day and offer him a lower price!

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
when he gets back to you offer him £500 LESS :ROFLMAO:
Don't sell yourself short... 10% off at least.
If seller has come back to you, then his options have been curtailed.
Rub his nose into the ground... actually forget 10%, get 20%

Absolutely hate this - asking price met, sale should be yours.
If seller wants to play silly buggers, then let it cost him :Angry:.

A seller can never be certain there is another buyer, but a buyer can be certain there will be another seller.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
How strange same thing happened to us and it was Nottingham area :ROFLMAO: and its a hell of a long way for us. Guy did ring us back and try to convince us someone had bid more than the asking price :Eeek: needless to say we didn't buy it.

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013

Just wanted to clarify I wasn't liking that you were being mucked about but the idiocy of the guy. Hope he ends up with less money ::bigsmile:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Funny f--ke-s in Nottm. Thats why we left ad moved to Sub Tropical DERBYSHIRE. BUSBY:roflmto:

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
There's summat wrong here, seriously wrong, you offered the asking price as well.

None of the others are going to offer him more than the asking price, he is not going to sell it twice is he?

A new one on me.

Paul.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
If I were travelling some distance to view a vehicle I would ask the seller to call me if he sells it to someone else before I get there...

Maybe he promised people to hang on to it until they got a chance to view it and was just keeping his word.

If he calls back and tries to up the price you know what to do...

Was it being sold from his house?

If so "dog poo" and "letter box" spring to mind!

JJ :Cool:

We did call him JJ. Spoke to him at length yesterday and agreed a time for the following day. Then 5 minutes before we left home to go and see it I rang again to let him know we were on our way. He seems a really nice old chap and yes it was at his home.

We just stood there scratching our heads as it was the last thing we expected. Colin had been over the van with a fine tooth comb, underneath, under the bonnet, I'd sniff tested all the cupboards, under the fixed bed mattress etc.

We were just about to go in search of a cash point to get out a deposit, when he said he didn't want a deposit. The alarm bells started to ring in my head, when pushed he said there was someone else due to see it and the phone had been busy so he want to let the other people come. He should have told us that before we left home.

Oh well, I am sure we will find one at Peterborough.

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I would be tempted not to buy it now in any event.

I am good at biting my nose off to spite my face, but I do have principles on this sort of thing.

What a prat:Doh:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if it was me, I would just forget it and move on to a better van. if he phones back, point out that you are out of pocket for a wasted journey and tell him you can either add that to the discount or he can send you the cash

really are some morons and chancers about...clearly trying to get more than the asking price. he will tell anyone else that views he has already turned down the asking amount and wants more.......plenty more vans about

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
If he phones you back ask him if he would deliver it then when he does tell him to come back tomorrow as you have another one to look at:ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
In a word.. GREED..

if he calls back tell him to stick it where the sun don't shine..

What has happened to honour, gentleman's agreements, a persons 'word'

all down the pan.. ?:Angry:

Well, no, there are still people who honour verbal agreements or do deals with the shake of a hand.. many people in fact..

Case in point

I sold my caravan on ebay.. got my asking price and arranged collection with the buyer.. same day I had a message offering more than I sold it for.. I declined as I had already given my word..

I'm no angel, but when I do a deal I don't back down .. or break the agreement..

Same when I sold my house in Scotland.. (house conveyancing law is different there) I accepted an offer over the phone.. and was later offered a lot more.. but still honoured the phone deal.. that's how it should be.. I treat people as I expect to be treated..

If you have no honour.. you have nothing..

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Woke up this morning still cross about this. :Angry:

The van is 14 years old and they had it from new. There was 14 years of their motorhoming history in there (nothing had been removed or cleaned for the sale :Doh:). They both spent ages telling were little extras had been done, where they had bought this and that, which county's they visited. The cupboards were full of old ASICs and tourist books. In other words a proper moterhomers van. He pointed out a few little jobs that needed doing or fixing, nothing major, just a new catch or door adjustment.

Anyway, we have called him first thing this morning and told him we need to know by the end of today as we are going to Peterborough Show on Saturday looking to buy! So by the end of today we will either own another van with a fixed bed and HUGE garage, for the original asking price, or we won't.

Yours truly
Frustrated of Market Harborough

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

The van is 14 years old and they had it from new. There was 14 years of their motorhoming history in there (nothing had been removed or cleaned for the sale :Doh:). They both spent ages telling were little extras had been done, where they had bought this and that, which county's they visited. The cupboards were full of old ASICs and tourist books. In other words a proper moterhomers van. He pointed out a few little jobs that needed doing or fixing, nothing major, just a new catch or door adjustment.

Anyway, we have called him first thing this morning and told him we need to know by the end of today as we are going to Peterborough Show on Saturday looking to buy! So by the end of today we will either own another van with a fixed bed and HUGE garage, for the original asking price, or we won't.

Yours truly

maybe it's a case of that they just can't bear to part with it..

14 years is a lot of memories in a box they are getting rid of .. :Sad:

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013

Yours truly

Fingers crossed for you :thumb:

knighthauler

Free Member
May 11, 2013
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2001
If he had done that on us their is no way i would buy it later - unless maybe he begged and lowered the price!:roflmto:

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
If he had done that on us their is no way i would buy it later - unless maybe he begged and lowered the price!:roflmto:

Yeah, I know what you mean but we have been looking on and off for months and this is the first one we have both wanted. I am cross at being messed about but if we get it for the asking price I will be happy, not going to pay a penny more though.

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I think you're right in that he's being sentimental over letting it go.

He's probably also thinking it's only fair to let all those who called to view, view it, before agreeing a sale.

He sounds like a reasonably honourable chap and can't see your side as he seems stuck in his ways.

Frustrating, and I would feel massively agrieved over it as well. But my view is that if it's meant to be, then you'll get it. If not, then something will turn up at Peterborough.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
maybe it's a case of that they just can't bear to part with it..

14 years is a lot of memories in a box they are getting rid of .. :Sad:

I think there is a lot in what you say. She said that it was upsetting her just thinking of it going. She is too frail to cope with motorhoming now.

If we get it we are going to offer to empty it out for her as she cannot do it. It is still ready to go, clothes in wardrobe, toiletries in bathroom, bed made up, everything other than food. It's like they didn't want to admit or except that they wouldn't be using it again. It is sad and will come to us all in the end, but what fantastic memories they have got.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back