Fixing to a Habitation door Elddis Solid construction.. (1 Viewer)

Clankie

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach built Majestic 125
Exp
Hi, I have a 2015 Elddis built motorhome. The habitation door is only single point locking in the centre. I have sourced some Fiamma safe door Guardian deadlocks, the catalogue number is 29534. They simply fit on the inside of the door with 3 screws. I am concerned regarding putting self tapping screws into the inside of the door. I don't actually know what the material is, it's GRP on the outside clearly I wouldn't use anything more than 12mm in length. I have toyed with the idea of fixing a plastic doubler, say 3mm with one of the high bond adhesives then some adhesive behind the lock and then the screws. I realise fitting them top and bottom will only make the door about 30% stronger with regard to a burglary but it's better than nothing, in my opinion. Any bright ideas are welcome.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Hi, I have a 2015 Elddis built motorhome. The habitation door is only single point locking in the centre. I have sourced some Fiamma safe door Guardian deadlocks, the catalogue number is 29534. They simply fit on the inside of the door with 3 screws. I am concerned regarding putting self tapping screws into the inside of the door. I don't actually know what the material is, it's GRP on the outside clearly I wouldn't use anything more than 12mm in length. I have toyed with the idea of fixing a plastic doubler, say 3mm with one of the high bond adhesives then some adhesive behind the lock and then the screws. I realise fitting them top and bottom will only make the door about 30% stronger with regard to a burglary but it's better than nothing, in my opinion. Any bright ideas are welcome.
Looks like you got it sussed, probably the way I would go with the plastic Packers

OP
OP
Clankie

Clankie

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach built Majestic 125
Exp
Hi, thank you for your thoughts, it's nice to get another view on a problem. Clearly I could put bolts all the way through but that would be bonkers. I hate screwing into the walls etc.
Have a nice day.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Clankie

Clankie

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach built Majestic 125
Exp
image.jpeg
All done, had a better idea for a doubler and used 1.5mm alloy plate, fixed same to plastic on inside of hab door with Very High Bond double sided tape. Had to change bolts as well as the Fiamma door guardian were not suitable. Used ScrewFix 150mm Chrome heavy duty bolts, only ÂŁ4.00 each, a fraction of the cost of the Fiamma ones. Fixed bolts to alloy with 25mm x 3mm dia self tappers, got a good fixing. There is very little to screw into in the inside of the hab door, so the alloy saved the day. The result is we can slide the bolts over at night when we are sleeping. Some motorhomes have 3 point locking on the hab doors but sadly Elddis don't go to that expense. Feel much better now with the bolts top and bottom.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back