Fixing things new chemicals and products.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Gromett, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I have come across these products and thought they would make a good addition to my toolbox. I think they could prove useful to a lot of motorhomers as well so I will list them here.

FiberFix Tape
    A water cured epoxy tape that the manufacturer says is 100x stronger than duct tape and hardens like steel.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111221951484

Sugru
    A self setting rubber compound. Starts of like plasticine and can be molded into grips, edge protectors etc etc etc.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008URBC9I/

polymorphic thermoplastic.
    Softens in hot water, sets solid and is as strong as nylon.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009LJG7XK/

The number of times a plastic or rubber bit has broken off or I have caught part of my body on a sharp edge... Snapped a tent pole etc etc.. The above products appear to be a get out of jail free card in so many situation. :thumb:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
    • Like Like x 16
  2. golly

golly Funster

Sugru is fantastic stuff, only problem is quite a short shelf life. I keep it in the fridge, supposed to extend shelf life

3. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Thought there would be more comments on this thread with it being so useful and all? :Doh:

4. Gooney

Gooney Funster

I think the fact you got 16 thanks sums it up Grommet, what else is there to say?, fantastic sounding products, I just wish you'd brought the Fibrefix tape to my attention a week ago, it would have saved me a lengthy plumbing job I've just 'endured':thumb:

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I think it's probably the case that, whilst the usefulness is undeniable, the frequency of needing such a product is low for many people.

6. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Thank you! I often have posts that get completely ignored! :Doh: That maleable repair compound, first saw that at the Dusseldorf show, many people were facinated at all the exmples of it's use, it drew crowds :BigGrin: We have a Dometic sink in the camper with the switch for the hob igniter right next to the taps....it kept getting wet. Duct tape over it did not help but I spotted a 3m product (I think labelled as glass tape) in Lidl. It has been covering the switch since August and is STUCK, no water ingress there! Jane :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I was expecting a couple of
    examples of actually uses as I am sure I am not the first to find these products.
    Alternatives or other products people use.
    Bright ideas for uses for them.

We have such a broad range of people on here and many talented DIYers and pros. Just thought there would be some chatter on this subject.

Oh well, back to ShiftZZ rants for some entertainment :Rofl1:

8. Terry

Terry Funster

Watch for me posting asking someone for a link in 6 mths time :BigGrin:some good stuff about but I always forget who posted links for what by womb/who :BigGrin:
    terry

• Like Like x 2
  9. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Well I did a screen capture :Smile: so I can look it up when needed :thumb: