fixing pannals bolts or screws (1 Viewer)

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I've go my kit orderd, Im going to use the plastic sets for fixing the pannels to the roof with silkaflex but what about fixing the pannels to the plastic fitments are self tapping screws ok or are bolts better,both would be stainlees steel.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I have always just used self tappers...
You may find bolts a bit tricky anyway, no room to get to the back of them..

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
I thought that would be the case, were did you get yours from?​

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Self tappers are what they say; ie they tap(thread) the hole that they either create or is pre-drilled. The thickness of the material they are tapping into is usually fairly thin; in this case the aluminium frame of the solar panel is about 2mm. The advantage of self tappers is that if you want to remove the panel from the feet it is simply a case of unscrewing them.
Nuts and bolts are more secure, especially if you use a ny-lok nut but as said above, fiddly if you need to remove them insitu.

I used A2 stainless M 8 Hex set screws x 40mm with matching ny-lok nuts from Screwfix. You use an allen key to tighten them as its a bit fiddly with a socket or spanner as the feet I used were recessed to take the bolt head.

33261_P.jpg

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Self tappers are what they say; ie they tap(thread) the hole that they either create or is pre-drilled. The thickness of the material they are tapping into is usually fairly thin; in this case the aluminium frame of the solar panel is about 2mm. The advantage of self tappers is that if you want to remove the panel from the feet it is simply a case of unscrewing them.
Nuts and bolts are more secure, especially if you use a ny-lok nut but as said above, fiddly if you need to remove them insitu.

I used A2 stainless M 8 Hex set screws x 40mm with matching ny-lok nuts from Screwfix. You use an allen key to tighten them as its a bit fiddly with a socket or spanner as the feet I used were recessed to take the bolt head.

View attachment 159346

do you have a link to them, can seem to find them on the web site

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I always use bolt and nut to fix panels to the feet.
Once you have the hole marked and drilled in the panel frame put the nut on the back with a some adhesive and make it a captive nut.. ie run the bolt through lightly till the adhesive goes off.. saves messing around trying to get the nut attached each time..
I use m6 roofing bolts.
Andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back