Fixing curtain rail to ceiling

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Judd, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Judd

Judd Read Only Funster

Hi,

I have a 1999 Burstner A575. I want to fit a curtain around the single rear bed for my 10 month old daughter - so she can sleep peacefully! I have found the curtain track and all the other bits, but I'm wondering how to fix it to the ceiling? Can I screw into it without regrets, glue it or do both? If screwing, what types are best? And what adhesive will secure it?

Thanks in advacne,

Oliver

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Minefield. Unless you get *very* lucky you'd be screwing into about 2mm ply.

Plan B some nice hardwood moulding from B&Q etc, about 15/20mm x 3mm, varnish. Fix with double sided tape, then screw into this with short screws. Make a feature of it.

This is the only regret free method I can think of.

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

if its going to be a permenent fixture then do as brian suggested and use sikaflex adhesive and a few small (1/2" max) screws to fix the wood.

if its got to be removable at some point then use more screws without the adhesive.

the small screwholes will be easy to fill after removal.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Judd

Judd Read Only Funster

Thanks for the replies. I guess from what you are saying, the roof panel is a foam core with an aluminium skin to the outside and a plywood one to the inside. I've got some sikaflex 512 which I've been using to seal a trailer roof - this should be suitable? Now I'm faced with the big decision of permanent or temporary.......

Cheers,

Oliver

5. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Oliver use twinfast screws that go into the 3 mm ply no more than 12 mm-- only tighten until tight or you will pull them through the ply :thumb:
    terry

6. Randonneur

Randonneur Read Only Funster

ceiling rail

We have done this with our van. The curtain went round the fixed bed so there was no dressing area so we attached a rail on the ceiling across the width of the van. We used a very strong type of Super Glue, it took a couple of goes as the first time when I put the curtain on I pulled it down, I don't think we had left it long enough to cure, but the second time it has been great and works perfectly.

7. takeaflight

takeaflight Read Only Funster

The method you choose will depend on the weight of the curtain, if a light weight fabric is to be used then maybe use Velcro.

Roy