Fixing curtain rail to ceiling (1 Viewer)

Judd

Free Member
Apr 19, 2010
Midlands
Funster No
Exp
6 months
Hi,

I have a 1999 Burstner A575. I want to fit a curtain around the single rear bed for my 10 month old daughter - so she can sleep peacefully! I have found the curtain track and all the other bits, but I'm wondering how to fix it to the ceiling? Can I screw into it without regrets, glue it or do both? If screwing, what types are best? And what adhesive will secure it?

Thanks in advacne,

Oliver

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Can I screw into it without regrets
Oliver

Minefield. Unless you get *very* lucky you'd be screwing into about 2mm ply.

Plan B some nice hardwood moulding from B&Q etc, about 15/20mm x 3mm, varnish. Fix with double sided tape, then screw into this with short screws. Make a feature of it.

This is the only regret free method I can think of.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if its going to be a permenent fixture then do as brian suggested and use sikaflex adhesive and a few small (1/2" max) screws to fix the wood.

if its got to be removable at some point then use more screws without the adhesive.

the small screwholes will be easy to fill after removal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J

Judd

Free Member
Apr 19, 2010
Midlands
Funster No
Exp
6 months
Thanks for the replies. I guess from what you are saying, the roof panel is a foam core with an aluminium skin to the outside and a plywood one to the inside. I've got some sikaflex 512 which I've been using to seal a trailer roof - this should be suitable? Now I'm faced with the big decision of permanent or temporary.......

Cheers,

Oliver

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Oliver use twinfast screws that go into the 3 mm ply no more than 12 mm-- only tighten until tight or you will pull them through the ply :thumb:
terry

Randonneur

Free Member
Mar 31, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
4 years
ceiling rail

We have done this with our van. The curtain went round the fixed bed so there was no dressing area so we attached a rail on the ceiling across the width of the van. We used a very strong type of Super Glue, it took a couple of goes as the first time when I put the curtain on I pulled it down, I don't think we had left it long enough to cure, but the second time it has been great and works perfectly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back