Jan 24, 2013
Near Bristol
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Since 2012, so still learning
Hi everyone.

My 2.3 Ducato seems to be one that has a fixed clipboard on the dash.
Surely I could change this to make it useable. Has anyone done this and how do I get the fixed one to lift up. Was this just a cost cutting exercise just to save a couple of pounds, or for some other reason.
Hope someone can help.

Peter.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Hi .I have one on the Rapid and i use to clip my sat nav in situe and its great would not be without it lol.:thumb:

OP
OP
Bilbo Baggins
Jan 24, 2013
Near Bristol
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
I though of that, and may have to accept that it can't be changed.
However I do like every thing to be as it should.

Thanks, Peter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
grab the end nearest the windscreen and pull hard, it is often very stiff but will pop up. not found a solid one yet

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
May risk it.

I thought they all lifted too. It is very easy to remove the whole module if it won't lift & you need to examine it in detail. The steps are:

Remove radio & (tin) radio 'cage'.
Remove two screws inserted at an angle that were hidden by the radio
Remove two screws at the end nearest the windscreen
Lift out the whole unit.

If it is a fixed lid then the screws to do that will be visible on the underside. It is a useful piece of kit - not so much as a clipboard but I've removed the sprung support that holds it in the 'up' position leaving room for a unit of 4 cigar lighter sockets and space to keep coins or keys. I'm investigating a spare one I bought to see if it could be hinged at the windscreen end to provide a place in the shade for a rear view camera monitor.

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Could be wrong but I think if you have a passenger air bag fitted then the clipboard is fixed in position for some reason
I was just going to say the same:thumb:
Will see if I can find other info:thumb:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
May risk it.

Don't!

The newer x250 Ducato "Born to be a motorhome" does not have the hinges or foldaway mechanism at the back.

This was changed when they incorporated the ability to change the clipboard for the blue and me system.

I discovered this and had to persuade the clipboard back into place :Blush:

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
See
1 Jul 2010 - 1 Due to European legislation, vehicles with a GVW of over 4000kg include a tachograph and speed limiter 56mph/90kph as ... Central dash folding clipboard ( deleted with passenger airbag) ... Dual cab passenger seat - fixed.
A statement from
Broken Link Removed
Also mentioned on other sites.
It seems if you delve into other posts the airbag stuff is not under so some say but do your homework:thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
i have passenger airbag and mine lifts but very very stiff at first. obviously if its been deleted on the last year or so model then i missed that. personally i see no point in the retaining clip being there still without the ability to lift it up

OP
OP
Bilbo Baggins
Jan 24, 2013
Near Bristol
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Thanks for all your replies.

Thought this was going to be a simple question, but seems to be getting more complicated. Need to sit back and consider my options.

Peter

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
It's certainly the case that newer vans with a passenger air bag do not lift.

This definitely applies to 2013 on, but may also include earlier years.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Thanks for all your replies.

Thought this was going to be a simple question, but seems to be getting more complicated. Need to sit back and consider my options.

Peter

My current clipboard does not lift. The clipboard on my last unit did lift - but it wasn't much use anyway (I hardly ever used it as it wasn't in the best place/angle)

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
I find the clip board clamp very good for grabbing (and holding) Stan, our Funster Bear, by the gonads so he has pride of place on the dashboard and enables him to lighten every child's heart who is in front of us - they all wave to him.
:roflmto:

Trikeman.:winky:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have a 2012 built base on our Fiat which was registered in 2013. The clip board does NOT lift on ours and we were told by the dealer that it is because we have a passenger airbag.

On a previous vehicle we did have a lift up clipboard but it was as much use as a chocolate teapot as it obscured vision for the driver when raised to a 'usable' level! :Doh:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I find the clip board clamp very good for grabbing (and holding) Stan, our Funster Bear, by the gonads so he has pride of place on the dashboard and enables him to lighten every child's heart who is in front of us - they all wave to him.
:roflmto:

Trikeman.:winky:
That is awful ... whoever allowed you to adopt Stan needed a good whipping ... steady Jim .... not THAT kind of whipping! :roflmto:

One thing though ... you're must be the only bear WITH GONADS ... or maybe not any more ... I suppose it's the bear equivalent of having a permament mammogram!!! :ROFLMAO:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Looks like I shall have to buy a bear then:thumb:
the correct spelling is bEEr, not bear, whoever thought it a good idea to drink a bear:Doh:

oooops wrong thread :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
Same as ours, 2014 model year. It states in the Fiat handbook that the clipboard cannot be raised because of the passenger airbag. I bought an A5 clipboard, cut a couple of wedges which I glued & screwed to the back then attached it to the non-raising cilpboard with velcro. Voila!

OP
OP
Bilbo Baggins
Jan 24, 2013
Near Bristol
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Thanks for all your input.

The van is 2008 but does have a passenger airbag, so perhaps that's why it doesn't lift.

Expect I'll just use the clip to anchor the sat nav in place.

Thanks everyone:Smile:

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Same as ours, 2014 model year. It states in the Fiat handbook that the clipboard cannot be raised because of the passenger airbag. I bought an A5 clipboard, cut a couple of wedges which I glued & screwed to the back then attached it to the non-raising cilpboard with velcro. Voila!

Any chance of some pics? Makes it easier to understand your mod :thumb:

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
We have a 2012 built base on our Fiat which was registered in 2013. The clip board does NOT lift on ours and we were told by the dealer that it is because we have a passenger airbag.

On a previous vehicle we did have a lift up clipboard but it was as much use as a chocolate teapot as it obscured vision for the driver when raised to a 'usable' level! :Doh:

It says in handbook do not use in upright position when driving (or words to that effect):Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back