Fixed bed or not ? (1 Viewer)

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
6m panel van with fixed rear traverse bed, loads of storage underneath and we use the van for 4 months at a time in Spain

Mike

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I think it depends on how often and how many times you sleep in the van. For the odd weekend and fortnight holiday we would definitely have 'make up' beds and value the daytime space..................

However we have spent over 300 nights in our van in just over a year so we are more than happy with our FIXED DOUBLE which is over the garage in our PVC

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Fixed beds are great until one of you is ill, having spent one Christmas in a freezing site in Salamanca with Mrs BB laid up with a bad back on the transverse fixed and me in what was loosely called the 'dining' area, never again. As fairly regular 'toilet visitors' at night we ended up disturbing each other every night too so its two front singles for us. Easily turned into a massive double when the need arises. :love:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
We have a French bed i.e. to the side at the rear, as others have said a bit of a problem if one of you has to clamber over the other to use the loo. would love an Island bed but can't afford one. As to changing the sheets, a fitted bottom sheet fit really well and is easy to fit, just loop it over the far side of the mattress then fit to the near side, easy, but it has the be a fitted bed every time. (y)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Hired a m/home a few years ago before we owned one, had to make the bed and take it down everyday. :eek: Cor what a bloody caddle put us off m/homes altogether and made up beds are all lumps and bumps No Thanks. Would never own a m/home without a fixed bed either over garage or over cab both are brilliant imo, rather sleep in my tent than make up lumpy sofas.:)
Each to their own though.(y)

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the time it takes to straighten out the covers on most fixed bed layouts.

The bed in our motorhome is visible during the day, and makes the interior look very untidy, unless it is remade, ready for use.
I find that this easily takes as much time as making up the bed in our previous van, although, having said that, the fixed bed is great for my afternoon nap.

Mick H
i just close the curtains to hide the fixed bed :p

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think ours has the best of both drop down bed over lounge so can leave it made up and out of the way 'till bedtime and hit the switch to lower at night just got to figure out how to get the thunderbirds music to play at the same time! (and under 6m long)

David

Reactions: kcy

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hired a m/home a few years ago before we owned one, had to make the bed and take it down everyday. :eek: Cor what a bloody caddle put us off m/homes altogether and made up beds are all lumps and bumps No Thanks. Would never own a m/home without a fixed bed either over garage or over cab both are brilliant imo, rather sleep in my tent than make up lumpy sofas.:)
Each to their own though.(y)
I think that is another factor about beds you have to make up. Some are made up of several mattresses stuck together. Our beds aren't like this, each is one complete single mattress - and very comfortable!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Dont know why people get hung up about having to put the beds up every day.

If we are on a site and don't need the rear lounge we leave it as a bed.

At least we have a choice as to whether we want to waste our space.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
we have a fixed bed but the next 1 we buy will be a island bed i am fed up with linda going for a pee at night then climber over me and most times i get a drip on me head :D:LOL::)
Ladies who drip should be made to wear bed pants, however you may prefer to wear a night cap

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Had both bed converted from seats and now a fixed bed at the back. We love the garage under the bed and wonder how we managed without it, as I am better "corked" than him I sleep next to the back wall and we don't have the clamber over issue...... mind I can see how it could become fun given a chance :blusher:

I do like the look of the beds that drop down over the lounge (Chausson Best of 10 and whatever they call the new similar configuration on the Fiat base) and that might be the type we go for at some time in the future as it combines the both of best years. We'd need a huge back box to replace the garage though.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I don't like the compromised lounge / bathroom / kitchen that come with a fixed bed (along with the extra vehicle length. Mine has an overcab drop-down: takes seconds to pull it down & the bed is there ready-made. (Hymer B584).

OP
OP
Cobweb

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for your replies . Much as I expected but the ease of making the
non fixed bed seems to be the most important thing . There is a layout for everyone out there and all you can hope for is that you get it right in the first place . We are happy with our fixed bed over the garage and also have a over cab drop down bed ....this suits us fine and has done for the last 6 years .

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Our conversion has a U-shaped seating at the rear, 6ft by 6ft bed when made up, or 2 nice singles. We love cosying up to read books and look out of the window on a rainy day and the dining area wldn't feel the same. If we get into a position where we need the bed made up for a few days then we can do that. This way lots of extra space and still a stealth camper ;)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have a double bed above the cab but I don't use it since:

a) I kept hitting my f'ing head on the roof in the night and,

b) My teenage son decided to make it his space

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
You'r a plumber Bill, can't you fix her?:D Bit of PTFE tape and tighten her olive with your wrench.(y)

good moaning to u both no can fix aint got nowt large enough :)

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Fixed bed every time for me. Like to take a snooze in the afternoon and great when travelling overnight to just pull up for a couple of hours. Mine is in a panel van so what you loose in living floor space is made up for with the much needed storage. Also can open up the rear doors to assist in fitting the sheet.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If we didn't want the garage that is under our fixed bed I might consider it a waste of space BUT as it's a multi use space it's great.

When we caravanned we would not have a fixed bed "waste of space" my wife said making the bed was no problem, now she loves the fixed bed.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
No such thing as wasted space :p

Fixed bed above garage , scooter in the garage , tow car on the back , fibreglass dingy on the roof of tow car, beer in fridge, a roast in the oven and it's good to go , and a lounge up front to lounge in

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Fixed Island any time, eliminates the climbing over partner syndrome. Herself makes it up with exacting precision. We have plenty of room to snooze in the lounge!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I do like the look of the beds that drop down over the lounge (Chausson Best of 10 and whatever they call the new similar configuration on the Fiat base) and that might be the type we go for at some time in the future as it combines the both of best years.

Something that was pointed out to us when we were nosing around one of those vans (if it's the one I'm thinking of) at a show is that when the bed is down it obstructs the door so that in an emergency, fire or something like that, you wouldn't be able to get out of the van quickly. You would either need to put the bed back up or need to have some kind of mix of gymnastic and limbo dancing skills

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Fixed bed definately, more so if using the motorhome alot. We had a french type bed and a drop down bed in the a class, whuch gave you options to sleep apart, or put someone else up. Our new vehicle has a tranverse bed over a garage, its the onky way we could get a big bed in, i would have loved two singles but didnt have the space allowance. I have lots of broken sleep because neil hasto climb over me to get too the loo.

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
I would love a fixed bed but I know it would be 'stolen' by our 2 irish setters....Our pull down bed above the cab in my hymer sorts that problem out. The diner is a bit of a let down as I would have preferred a long L shaped bench seat.

Shirl

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
The chausson we have put a deposit on has a drop down bed, and no nicknic, it doesn't obstruct the door or more important the early morning cuppa making. That was the first thing I checked, I'm now freting that the bed comes down far enough, cause I couldn't sleep in the old over the cab bed, too claustrophobic !

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The chausson we have put a deposit on has a drop down bed, and no nicknic, it doesn't obstruct the door or more important the early morning cuppa making. That was the first thing I checked, I'm now freting that the bed comes down far enough, cause I couldn't sleep in the old over the cab bed, too claustrophobic !

Must be a different van then. I know there is one because we were inside it with the bed down and couldn't get out!

OP
OP
Cobweb

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Fixed bed every time for me. Like to take a snooze in the afternoon and great when travelling overnight to just pull up for a couple of hours. Mine is in a panel van so what you loose in living floor space is made up for with the much needed storage. Also can open up the rear doors to assist in fitting the sheet.

There is a lot to be said for being able to have an afternoon snooze and on the way crab a couple of hours without having to make bed .

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
No such thing as wasted space :p

Fixed bed above garage , scooter in the garage , tow car on the back , fibreglass dingy on the roof of tow car, beer in fridge, a roast in the oven and it's good to go , and a lounge up front to lounge in

There you go a man after my own heart (y) non of this risk averse namby pamby cant be done nonsense, just load the bloody thing and hit the road, beginning to think I was the only one left.:LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back