Fixed bed or not ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Cobweb, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Cobweb

Cobweb

Hi

Just wondering ho many of you are happy with your MH fixed bed and would not have a MH without one ? How many of you do not have one and are you quite happy making your bed up every night? We have a fixed bed and are very happy with it . A friend is in the process of deciding on the layout of his first MH and is quite interested in a van without a fixed bed .

2. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

I've had both and I have to say I love the fixed bed ....mines has 2 of them and they're made up constantly with bedding etc so it's always ready to go

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nethernut

Nethernut Read Only Funster

We have had both, definitely fixed bed.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I personalty would not entertain a van with no fixed bed. I like a snooze when I feel like it without having to do a jigsaw puzzle first.

• Like Like x 2
  5. laneside

laneside Funster

Fixed bed every time and ideally not one tucked in a corner where putting on a clean fitted sheet is a real chore

6. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i like a fixed bed over the garage . but like a day bed seating as well . luckily have two 6ft seating in mine ideal.
    have had non fixed bed before but on a long trip you get fed up of making the bed . ok for weekends or short breaks .

7. philw111

philw111 Funster

Having started off in our first MH making up the bed each night, we now have a MH with a fixed bed at the back and are far happier with it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Definitely fixed bed for us. Fixed island bed for preference so no climbing over the other person to get up.

9. froggy59

froggy59 Funster

we had to make up our bed in our last van but now we have a fixed bed, and would not be without it.

10. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

If the fixed bed is "downstairs" you pay a huge price in floor area for a facility you use 33% of your time. So for the other 66% of your time you either suffer poor comfort or drive a much bigger vehicle.

Our Luton bed solves this problem.

• Like Like x 6
  11. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

That's like mine I've one fixed over the rear garage another drop down in the cab and a 6 ft L shaped lounge in the middle that can make up to a 3rd bed but never use it ...best layout I've found to suit me so far

• Like Like x 2
  12. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

Ours is above the cab. At first we said ,"there's no way are we sleeping up there" But once we tried we found how comfi it was and haven't wanted to sleep anywhere since. No making of beds, just get in.

Wyn

• Like Like x 1
  13. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

I dismissed the idea of a fixed bed as it takes up too much floor area. My second van will definitely have a fixed bed! As others have said 'somewhere to have a snooze whenever you want' is a luxury I would now really like(y)

Something like a Hymer B524 would suit me fine.

14. The Dude

The Dude Funster

We now have a van with fixed beds. Previously we had a U-shaped lounge that had to be made into beds at night. It wasn't so much the making up of the beds that annoyed me but it was where to store the lounge back cushions once the beds were made up - the only place that was big enough for them was the shower. Fixed bed(s) for me everytime now.

15. pandj

pandj Funster Life Member

Another vote for the over cab bed, we wanted to keep the u lounge but hated making the bed so changed vans from low profile to luton, love it(y)

16. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

Rear lounge = 2 singles. 2 minutes to take cushions off, store them on passenger seat for night. I defy anyone to get in through there at night without waking us up. Well worth it to us to have somewhere to lounge in the day without having the space used up in the day with a bed.
    We couldn't take sitting up at the dining table all day.
    To have 2 lounging sofas and a fixed bed would mean a van too long for us to get along with.
    Also mean the weight would go up, we can't go to more than 3.5t.
    Horses for courses I reckon.

• Like Like x 2
  17. ABZSteve

ABZSteve Funster

Looking at u-shaped rear lounge than coverts to a large double either way or two singles. If we need a quick nap in the afternoon, we will simply lie down. Our intention is not to make up beds, just use duvalay sleeping bags. I have looked at many fixed bed configurations and I didn't like them, not big enough, corner cut off, climbing over partner (careful). But, each to their own and everyone will have their own good reasons for their choice.

18. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

same for me, U shaped at rear, can be left made up as bed if required best of both worlds

• Like Like x 1
  19. ukbill

ukbill Funster

we have a fixed bed but the next 1 we buy will be a island bed i am fed up with linda going for a pee at night then climber over me and most times i get a drip on me head :D:LOL::)

• Like Like x 5
  20. busby

busby Funster

We just lay ours on the floor at side of bed..no problem at all. used to stand them up at end of van and they were a nuisance then. Had fixed bed but had to put up with small lounge. only takes a couple of mins to mske beds up..BUSBY:)