Fixed bed or no fixed bed

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by jonrud, Oct 24, 2010.

1. jonrud

jonrud Read Only Funster

Hi we are having second thoughts on a fixed bed people say they take up to much living space in a motorhome we have a fixed bed in our tugger and love it. Not to open a can of worms but you guys have been motorhoming as log as we have been tugging so what is in your opinion is the better layout and why? Much higher management is steering towards rear washroom but I am more fixed bed. Thanks:thumb:

2. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi personally I like 2 singles :thumb:so that SWMBO can go to the loo without climbing over me :thumb: plus it can be made into a big double when the need arises :thumb::Rofl1::Wink:
    terry

3. jonrud

jonrud Read Only Funster

I know were your coming from.:Rofl1:

4. dellwood33

dellwood33 Read Only Funster

From a night time access point of view, you can't beat the Island Bed set up. Our last MH had the fixed corner bed & was a pain if Barbara wanted to get up in the night. The fact that the bedroom takes up a lot of room is only important if you intend to spend a lot of time sitting in the van whilst on site :Smile:

5. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

We love our queen size bed , wouldn't be without it, room to romp :BigGrin::BigGrin: nah not at our age only in a leap year :Wink:

6. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

We currently have a fixed bed arrangement but in our previos vehicle we had a rear lounge which had to be made up to a double bed.

Pro's and Con's for both.

Pro's: Fixed beds take up space but they usually have some good storage space underneath and also an external locker door for access. In our opinion it is great to have the bed already made up and just crash into it when tired day or night.

Con's: They take up space and this is usually at the expense of other facilities, we have now got a reduced Lounge space. But we don't have to assemble the bed every night and strip it down in the morning.

SWMBO dictated that we would have a fixed bed on any new machine we purchased.

7. lunarman

lunarman Funster

Its all a matter of size!

In a small MH a fixed bed is a waste of space as it compromises the amount of space for other accommodation.

The larger the MH the less the impact. If you look at the Lunar 786 (We have one) It has fixed bed end washroom/Toilet and a reasonable sized lounge,but it is 26ft long. Personally I love the layout but the size can be a hindrance.

We did try a smaller van (Adria650) with a fixed bed but the compromised lounging area was something that we could not live with and changed it within 6 months. It had the typical continental style lounge which was fine in the summer, when spending little time inside the van, but using it all year the lounge in the winter time was too small and cramped.

Hope this helps. I suspect that you will get a different answer from everyone its all a matter of personal choice, and what you are prepared to compromise on.

Lunarman

Estcres beat me too it but his van is 26ft long and has a decent sized lounge

8. jonrud

jonrud Read Only Funster

As often as that:Rofl1:

9. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Yes with a following wind :Rofl1::Rofl1:

10. jonrud

jonrud Read Only Funster

How lucky can you get her in doors thinks sex is what the posh people have their coal in :Rofl1:

11. JayDee

JayDee Funster

If you are happy to have a pull-down bed over the driving area, which can be kept made up and, according to our son, is a nice comfy bed, there are A classes that have this and all the rest of the interior is devoted to Kitchen, bathroom, diining and lounge areas. These beds usually pull down to the level of the top of the steering wheel (the driver and passenger seatbacks need to be folded down) and it's easy enough to step up onto the sofa and into bed. You can find these in what I would call a nice manageable length of vehicle (less than 6.5 metres) and we would probably have bought one if we'd found one. As it is we have a fixed bed and find the van very comfortable - cab seats swivel. We have had a group (admittedly quite cosy) of 6 people in total and had no problem (other than chucking them out when we wanted to go to bed:BigGrin:).

At the end of the day you'll decide the way you want to go despite some of the advice you'll get on here (conflicting opinions make that inevitable).

Hope this adds to the confusion :BigGrin::BigGrin:

John

12. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

13. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

got to agree with many of the posters.....a fixed bed in a small-ish van eats into your usable day space.
    many (not all) 22ft+ vans with a fixed (rear) bed will only have a dinette for day use which will be uncomfortable after a while to say the least.

our previous van, a 24ft kontiki had a rear lounge with twin 6ft sofa's which we used as two singles with sleeping bags....pain in the neck to make up each night and redo each morning as we still had cushions to move and store overnight.
    it had an overcab double but not enough headroom for me...couldnt even roll over without hitting the ceiling.

now, we have a 33ft RV with island bed at the back and a 3 seater couch and swivel rocker/recliner at the front which, combined with a 12ft x 3ft slide-out, gives us all the room we need and more.

14. jaygee

jaygee Funster

26ft and 33ft - are they really a hinderance?
    Hubb6 wants to get a tag axle for our next van but I'm worried about getting onto sites & accessing towns etc...?

15. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

I have two issues with fixed beds. Its a waste of space unless you have an RV like Papa. And so far I have yet to see one thats big enough. I have a Kontiki and the rear lounge makes a massive bed, its huge. Now if you want to romp, thats what you need.

Disagree with Papa about making them up, piece of cake. Well the double is anyhow.

We need two living areas for when Im working or when we dont like each other and a big bed at the back for.......

Playing Monopoly, watching telly, Twister?

Anyway if you want a fixed bed for a while just leave the rear lounge bed made up and put it away again when you fancy a change.:BigGrin:

16. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Our last RV was 32 ft and this one is 28 ft, no problem on sites , just a few that put a 28ft limit due to restricted access although I'm sure that if there was a fire they wouldn't turn the brigade away.

17. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

forget the more rural outlaying areas of wales and the lakes but as others have said before....if a bus, truck or dustcart can get in so can a large motorhome...dustcarts empty bins on sites so they can get in....LPG/oil tankers get to farms etc...and bus's run rural services.
    you may have more fun finding parking in towns but theres always somewhere, even on-street parking.

18. themountaintiger

themountaintiger Read Only Funster

Hmm, I have fixed bed over rear garage. I love the putting up and down effort, i.e. Zero, but getting legover for a P in middle of night is a gymnastic delight (not!). Im sure Im going to take a tumble... Considering getting a rear lounge with put up/down beds, perhaps will enjoy lounging area more but dont look forward to sorting the bed out.:cry:

19. champers

champers Funster Life Member

We had this dilemma also, but decided having a larger bathroom with a shower cubicle outweighed the bed situ (i am lucky bed making is done by hubby) although we do have the Raskelf memory foam roll out's with zippered fitted sheets...makes it much easier:BigGrin::BigGrin:

We have a Bessacarr 745 with twins sofas, they can be used as a three quarter bed or two singles or a large double with only a few cushions to move, we do change directions on the dbl sleeping arrangements... it depends if we have leveled out or not... which can be fun after having a bevvy or two which way the bathroom is lol :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Not sure about climbing up a step or two for the overcab bed but they are more friendly these days :Wink::Wink:

Take time to choose and have fun

John n Kath

20. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

our van is 26ft ( from memory ! ) .. we have huge double bed in the overhead and bunk beds right at the very back.. Would never go back to having to put beds up every night...