Fitting swivel cab seats to mk7 (07) reg transit (1 Viewer)

whitem

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Chichester, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi all
Does anyone know if fitting a drivers swivel seat on a mk 7 transit(07 Chausson Flash 03) is possible?
Have been told lots of varying advice, such as:
- can only supply FASP passenger side as drivers side fouls handbrake (www.marcleleisure.co.uk)
- can supply MAPA swivel either side for transits year 2000+(outdoorbits.co.uk)
WHAT do I do?- thinking of just ordering the MAPA and doing it myself, but I have seen a few chaussons (low profile flash's I think) with both cab seats factory fitted with FASP - looking swivels

Thanks for any advice!
Mark

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Mark...

I thought hard and long about fitting swivels to my "c" class....

Turns out it wouldn't really work for me...You'll really have to sketch out a plan of the cab area and work out the clearances....

Hopefully someone will get back to you who has looked into/performed the conversion...

Steve.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi all
Does anyone know if fitting a drivers swivel seat on a mk 7 transit(07 Chausson Flash 03) is possible?
Mark

I don't know if possible but I do know it is probably the best single mod I've made to our Fiat. The bonus of an extra comfy seat not taking up floor space is immense. So keep looking it is worth it.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi
Thanks John Cross, but all the swivel seats you sell are NOT specified for Ford Transit!!!!
Can anyone else can help?

Hi,

We can supply a Transit passenger swivel, they cost £215 less Funsters discount but they are special order and not on web as you say.

If you want one please give Darren a call on 01-580-881288 and he can advise etc and order.

Regards

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I fitted 2 swivel seat bases to our 2007 Transit no problem, then took them off and sold them before I sold the van. Depending on the layout in your van they can give a lot more space.

The only downside on the Transit is the drivers seat will not swivel with the handbrake on.

We got ours from http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/shopuk/seat_swivels.htm

They were good value at £130ish including delivery

Rich..

OP
OP
W

whitem

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Chichester, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks Rich, very helpful - was it the CTA swivel (£126 + VAT) that you fitted?

I only ask as I know that in a new Chausson Flash 04 I have looked at, there were FASP swivels fitted (which are over £200), and I could see that the manufacturer had cut down the plastic trim on the side of the seat (where the up/down levers are) to allow the seat to clear the handbrake in the down position. Did you have to do this too??. Were they relatively easy to fit? I fitted some on my previous Fiat Ducatto 54 reg and it was quite straightforward.

Also, Rich, did the swivels you fitted raise the seat by a lot?. Really want the swivel base that raises the seat as little as possible as the wife is only 5ft 1in !

Many Many thanks again,

Mark

jeffscarborough

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Scarborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
I have a Dethleffs SE1 camper 2009 Ford Transit 350 cab with twin swivel seats fitted, I guess by Dethleffs.
The hand brake is fitted in the step area by the drivers door, so no clearance problems.

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi Mark

I am not sure what make they were but they were about £130 each. I took the plastic trims off ours. But you could cut them down if you wanted. Our handbrake was on the door step and the seat will still foul it when the handbrake is on even without the plastic trim. The only way was to turn the seat with the handbrake off, if you are on leveling ramps this an be a hassel. I use to get one of the kids to put there had on the foot brake and turn the seat and then put the handbrake back on.

If you have a Google about there are a few suppliers and some good prices.

They are an easy job to fit, I was say 30 mins a side.

Yes the seat was higher by just over an inch, this was a problem for me as our van has Remius cab blinds which reduce the hight of the windscreen by about an inch. I am 5'11" and always seemed to have to look under the top of the window. I would try lifting the seat up an inch and make sure you are ok with it at that height.

But honestly it did make our van much bigger and it was a very similar layout to yours (Hymer C622)

OP
OP
W

whitem

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Chichester, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks again Rich,

Think I will go for the MAPA swivels (side lever as opposed to fron lever to swivel), good value at £130, just one more thing though - did your drivers seat turn all the way round and clear the steering wheel?

Good base vehicle the transit I must admit, but I have heard that there is a software update/upgrade which smoothes out the jerky / stalling tendencies it often has - did you or any other forum members have this done ?

Great advice again Rich, thanks

Mark

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Mark now I come to think of it I think they were MAPA seat bases

Yes the set will clear the steering wheel (The transit wheels is nice and small which helps) but like most vans you will need to pull the seat forward to swivel it then push it back again until it reaches the steering wheel. Our Fiat has factory fit swivels and you have to do the same, the biggest difference is with the X250 fiat you can turn the set with the handbrake on.

Our Transit was a 2007, 2.2 130BHP and it was very easy to stall and ran poor after you had stalled if for a short while. I got the software update done and it was the same, but that was in 2008, I guess they might have a newer update by now.

Rich...

OP
OP
W

whitem

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Chichester, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Great thanks Rich,

Going to order a MAPA from www.motorcaravanning.co.uk as they are cheap (£135) and I have had some great advice via email from the Neill at the site. Hopefully should be OK to fit.

Will get the Ford software update done at next service I think, along with any recalls while I am at it.

Thanks again Rich, great help.

Mark

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I fitted 2 swivel seat bases to our 2007 Transit no problem, then took them off and sold them before I sold the van. Depending on the layout in your van they can give a lot more space.

The only downside on the Transit is the drivers seat will not swivel with the handbrake on.

We got ours from http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/shopuk/seat_swivels.htm

They were good value at £130ish including delivery

Rich..

I bought them from Rich. Had them in my Flash 03 2006 Transit with no problems, I have sold them on again as I sold my Chausson last year.

One was a Mapa one was a Fasp cant remember which though. The drivers side was a lot heavier built, maybe Rich will remember.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Great thanks Rich,

Going to order a MAPA from www.motorcaravanning.co.uk as they are cheap (£135) and I have had some great advice via email from the Neill at the site. Hopefully should be OK to fit.

Will get the Ford software update done at next service I think, along with any recalls while I am at it.

Thanks again Rich, great help.

Mark

They are a good company to deal with, I recently needed a part for an awning and they were great.

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Swivel ...

Hi guys, the German made transit swivel clears the brake by being slightly higher (pain if you are over 6foot) and more importantly, is offset to the middle of the van, neatly moving the seat out of the way of the hand brake.:thumb:

Regards Richard

OP
OP
W

whitem

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Chichester, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi guys, the German made transit swivel clears the brake by being slightly higher (pain if you are over 6foot) and more importantly, is offset to the middle of the van, neatly moving the seat out of the way of the hand brake.:thumb:

Regards Richard

Thanks for your comments Richard, but is the 'German made transit swivel' a MAPA, CTA or FASP?

Mark

EMS

Jan 8, 2010
Hants Sussex border near
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low
Exp
Started 2009!
Hymer seats

Our 2007 Hymer 572 also has swivel seats, probably the same as the Dethleffs. (same company).
The drawback is that they are rather high so a short person would have a problem, the handbrake is mounted in the step so can be awkward unless one is like a gorilla.:Smile:
I am not certain if handbrake extenders are available for the Mk7?

OP
OP
W

whitem

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Chichester, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi all,

Have finally got a MAPA swivel which I fitted myself in 45 mins or so. It was very heavy and well made but also quite stiff to swivel and raises the seat higher than a FASP which I had in my previous ducatto.

Not sure why FASP dont sell driver side swivels for transits Mk7, but I was told by a local motorhome dealer it was something to do with the handbrake fouling (which is a poor excuse as the chausson welcome has FASPs factory fitted on both seats in the transit cab!)

Mark

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back