Fitting solar panel(s) to a panel van conversion.

Discussion in 'Solar Power' started by brenige, Oct 1, 2016.

1. brenige

brenige Funster

Has anybody fitted solar panels to the roof of a PVC like our Lunar Landstar RL, please? I am told that I would have to use three 40w panels and I would have to dismantle the lockers and side panels in order to run the wiring. I feel sure that there must be a simpler way of running the wiring without all the disturbance but am not sure how. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Thanks.

2. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

Don't know your layout but whatever panels will fit on the roof there only needs to be one cable from them and you can run it on the roof then come down inside a wardrobe

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

It's not rocket science. Simply measures the gaps on the roof to fit panels and find/buy some that fit. Run a pair of cable's through the roof where its most convenient to a dual battery solar controller and then to the batteries . Sorted

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

I love Gromont and the loco shed, but have to go up onto the moors to wild camp. Can we stay on your drive?

5. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

unless you already have a lot on the roof i would think you could get larger than a 40 in at least one spot

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yorick

Yorick Funster

I fitted a 150 jobbie onto my Transit Jumbo no worries.

7. Tykes

Tykes Funster

We have 2 100w panels on our sprinter roof ! It's a s&l conversion from selby if you haven't got sorted iam sure if you spoke to Anthony at s&l he would be able to help the problem with sprinters is the roof is narrow we found a panel that would fit across the roof !

8. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

I have maxed out my roof space on a 6 metre PVC with 2 x 100 wt panels - 1 is across the front and the other along the side. Follow @Stealaway advice and measure the available space and go from there.

9. laneside

laneside Funster

We have a 130 on our Fiat PV and a sat dish and at a pinch could possibly put another 100 on, do your own measuring and ignore the doom and gloom merchants that frequent these sites.

10. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Ralphs fitted 2 to the top of Pug. We've also got a satellite in the space that's free above the fantastic endless breeze fan , to the right now, which is the black square at the front. IMG_6996.JPG IMG_4030.JPG IMG_1521.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  11. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

The van to the right on @Ralph-n-Bev 's first picture looks interesting. The single panel appears to be mounted on some sort of 'follow the sun' pivot.

Looking at the available roof space, it would probably have been more cost effective to have just used more flat mounted panels.

12. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Bit like this --- and that's only half of the roof. (Seen last week in Germany) DSC01654.JPG

13. The2i's

The2i's Funster

New on here, hence the gap in the thread. We've recently bought a year old Landstar RL and I plan to fit a solar panel in the next few weeks. I'll keep you posted with my progress. I intend to use at least the loom from Sargent which will plug straight into the EC500 power supply unit and, maybe, their 120-watt panel. (I need to get dimensions confirmed first). There is some question over whether an additional regulator will be needed as Lunar usually opt to have the EC500 unit without a regulator for solar charging. This system should then automatically charge both leisure and vehicle batteries in rotation.
    Brenige, have you made any progress?