Fitting roof bars when already a Fiamma mounted?

Discussion in 'Top Tips & Tricks' started by kitetraveller, Aug 27, 2016.

1. kitetraveller

kitetraveller Funster

Our first motor caravan (Citroen Relay lwb) has a Fiamma awning fitted, using the roof rack mounting points.
    We want to fit a roof rack to allow either canoes, or a roof box to be fitted.
    Can anyone point us to solutions (commercial or home made) that allow the roof rack without having to remove the Fiamma please?

Many thanks in anticipation.
    Kitetravellers

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. vin0114

vin0114 Funster

Maybe for the roofbox a couple of lengths of mezzanine plate glued down to the roof with sikoflex, then drilled and tapped to allow direct fixing of the roof box? fixing anything to pvc's is usually a bit of a pain because of their usually corrugated and domed surfaces. Just my 2 cents

3. kitetraveller

kitetraveller Funster

Thanks Vin & Josie.
    We are so new to this it took a while to figure out PVC = panel van conversion......at least thats what we are hoping!

I had not even thought about glueing something onto the roof. I guess there are some good recommended adhesive mastics to use?

I also have to work around roof light and aircon (the TV aerial will be coming off soon) but there is definaely space up there.

I will let you know what solution we use.
    Thanks
    Andy & Christine

4. vin0114

vin0114 Funster

I fitted a solar panel last year using sikaflex 221 sealant but I had to glue down plastic fillets in the roof channels to allow full contact for the 150mm square corner mounts. By the way is your Relay a Wildax conversion? as I had a 2005 one with an aircon on it.

5. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Not sure if your looking for the right way or a quick fix
    The correct way would be to remove the awning and fit the roof bars to their respective mounts assuring you of a safe and correct fitting for carrying a load, then you should look at getting or fabricating a mount kit for the awning, many of which are bolted direct to the vans roof and dont use the roof bar mounts at all
    G

6. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

7. kitetraveller

kitetraveller Funster

Our Relay is a home conversion, not ours; we bought it from the guy who did the conversion.

The Fiamma F65S is already very well installed, and I was hoping for a solution that didn't require taking it off and remounting it. Fiamma do a mounting set to attach the awning to roof bars, and it may well come to having to remove the awning, fit the roof rack, then fit the awning back on.
    This is our first time away in the van, so all is new to us, but we are already planning longer trips, and considering how to carry extra 'stuff'.

I need to get some measurements from the roof of the van, as there are skylights and aircon up there that are bound to be in the way of roof bars.

Thank you for the suggestions, greatly appreciated.

Andy &Christine