Fitting Replacement Thetford Hatches

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by StitchUp, Apr 10, 2012.

1. StitchUp

StitchUp Read Only Funster

The rear Thetford hatches on my Burstner are damaged & leaking so I need to change them asap. I've purchased new replacements and Sikaflex 521 sealant.

Would be interested if anyone has any tips before I start? Like what size stainless screws should I buy?

Cheers

John

2. tofo

tofo Funster

When I changed my Thetford cassette door
    (caught and damaged reversing down the drive
    Ooh all right ripped off )
    I used the existing screws stainless steel

But I used non setting sealant 2-4 pound from caravan shops
    Or possibly halfords

Just think there may be a need to remove it again ,!!!!

But sikaflex is the holy grail of sticky stuff but a complete swine to undo :thumb:

3. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

1. Unscrew all screws

2. Using either a plastic trim bar, or a wide head screwdriver covered with tape/cloth gently insert at regular intervals to break the seal.

3. Once you have gone round and loosened the seal, gently prise apart - try to use as little pressure as possible to avoid denting/scrtaching bodywork, it will come!

4. Once started off, you can pull apart with your hands, and gently trim the sealer with a blade as you go.

5. Once off clean all sealer from both door frame and body work with some solvent.

6. Apply a bead to the frame, enough the amply fill the trough. You can't go too overboard - it will just mean more of a clean up later!

7. Attach to body, and screw in screws equally and opposite (like a wheel!)
    DO NOT TIGHTEN

8. Pinch the frame to the body, and clear off excess with solvent and a cloth.

9. Leave overnight for a skin to form on the sealant, and then tighten up. This ensures a good seal, and makes sure you don't overtighten and push all the sealant out!

Check around the join to ensure a clean edge of sealant is visable, and there are no gaps and you are done!:thumb: