Fitting a second leisure battery? (1 Viewer)

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Currently I have only one leisure battery that needs replacing. After sound advice from Eddie Vanbitz I now know I need to have 2 leisure batteries. From you clever geeks on here I know when adding another leisure battery they should be replaced together.
I have watched the following video on YouTube and wonder if I follow his advice I could do the job myself?

I am clued up enough to know that wired up one way I will double the voltage, the other way increases the ah, which clearly is what I need to do. By following this video will I be increasing my ah?

Also I have been assured my current charging unit will cope with charging both batteries, is this right? I hope to be buying AGM batteries.

Finally, my current battery is in a plastic battery box, whilst it does not fill the box, it won't take 2 batteries. Will I have to make a battery box for them.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
The video is the right way to increase AH.

Use as thick and and as short leads as you can. There's some maths but I don't know it.

From experience, the 'wrong' way he shows works well enough if for some reason that's what you have to do (e.g. if the existing wires won't reach the additional battery) although mathematically it isn't ideal.

Both batteries need to be secured in transit. The best way is probably in a battery box but isn't essential in my view. Mine aren't.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Just a thought, do you have solar panels. If so some thought should be given to the solar control unit.

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Just a thought, do you have solar panels. If so some thought should be given to the solar control unit.
Thanks, no I don't, thats where Eddie comes in. I was going down that route, but as I don't stay off grid, without moving for more than 4 nights, he said this route was a better and cheaper option.
Will my current charger be capable of coping with vhar6ging two batteries without any need for change?

D

DL42846

Deleted User
You can buy fiberglass/plastic battery boxes from a good Motor home accessory store. Buying just an additional battery is probably the least expensive in the short term. I suppose it also comes down to how much electric power you need, and what sort of weather you operate in.

I run on just the one 110 amp GEL battery but I also have a solar panel. We tend to use the TV in the evenings which draws a bit of electric power from the battery and we are always wild camping on Aires. Never been on Electric hook up when on the road. I personally feel comfortable knowing my battery is being charged up each day by the solar panel.

Billggski

Free Member
Aug 6, 2013
Stone
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
I have always managed OK with that the one 90ah, and solar panel.
You have probably answered my questions
A) why do you need two?
b) is your alternator up to charging two batteries?
But is a pain fitting them properly and wiring them in.
I use to have four huge ones on a narrow boat, but that was never on hook up and had an extra alternator.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
My Experience is 4x 100ah, 180ah Alternator (G-M Diesel) 1x 100w Solar, Nearly a week off Grid. HUGE 40W "Intelligent" Charger for when we used EHU or Generator. This was before cheap LED`s!.

The current "EuroBox" has 2x110ah. +200W Solar. last weekend, 4 days "Off Grid" we came away with virtually the same battery voltage as we arrived. ALL lighting is LED now.

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'd say that if you told Vanbitz details of your current system and your expected use, then the advice you got is sound.

Seems like adding a second battery will give you enough capacity to last 4 days off grid and is cheaper than adding solar to a single battery, which will do the same but is dependent on where and at what time of year your using it.

When on grid your battery charger will power whatever loads you used before, adding a battery makes no difference. Doubling you battery capacity will mean twice as long off grid, but charging discharged batteries will also take twice as long.

There seems to be good advice above regarding actually fitting them, only you can decide if you're up to it.

If you're replacing wet batteries with AGM, make sure you charging system is compatible. It maybe better, and cheaper, to stick with two decent wet batteries.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I hope to be buying AGM batteries.
After my experience with AGM batteries, I wouldn't go near them, they are designed for stop/start cars not leisure use, also unless you have a very good charger with a proper AGM charge regime you will be lucky to get much more than a year out of them.
My personal choice if you want a fully sealed battery is Gel's but not everyone likes them and again you need a charger with the correct charge regime. Gel's have the advantage that they do not need venting you can mount them without a box and if tight for space mount them on their side.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back