fitting a safe

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by xjrchris, Jan 29, 2013.

1. xjrchris

xjrchris Funster

Has anyone fitted a safe in their van ? if so what kind and where did you fit it ? i have a swift gazelle and was thinking of either the wardrobe or under one of the bench seat
    thanks chris

2. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

Go tell us all were you fitted it and you mite as well tell us where the keys are :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

3. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

under the seats bolted through the floor

dont go with a keypad type if you can avoid it, as they are far too easy to open with the emergency override key

• Like Like x 1
  4. xjrchris

xjrchris Funster

Yosser Hughes
    i will text you my pin number as well :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  5. paulus the woodgnome

paulus the woodgnome Read Only Funster

Brought a safe at a hagnaps bring and buy and cls stuck it down in our secret location using some kind of wonder glue which he said will never be able to get the safe out from give him a pm and I'm sure he will tell you what he used

6. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

If you do go for the keypad type don't leave the emergency override key next to it it will make it harder to get into!
    :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

On a more serious note if you can, bolt it through a chassi rail.This is not always possible so if you bolt through the floor make sure that you include a steel plate under the van through which your bolts pass.This should make it harder for any toe rag with a nail bar from pulling your bolts through the ply floor,which is easier than you think.(dont forget to put bolts on inside of safe not under van!
    I'd be very weary about using adhesives of which there are many good ones,but again a good pull with a bar and the top layer of ply will strip off.
    A safe is only really any good if fitted securely .

Vlad.

7. mentaliss

mentaliss

the 'wonder' glue is probably a M7 Silicone adhesive and the only real way to break the adhesive seal is by way of a Stanley knife and hot air gun:Laughing:

8. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

Factory fitted under the bed bolted into the surrounding metalwork of the chassis. Keypad and key operation. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

But surely you don't leave the key lying around. I have a keypad one, but if I had one with a key surely that is easy to open with the key. I think I must be missing the point somewhere :Confused:

10. TheBig1

theres no need to leave the key laying about. the thief will not care about damaging the lock, but there is a VERY easy way to open them. i dont want to say how on the forum, but a quick search of youtube will give you several videos showing how easy it is and what to use. the locks on the override are just too basic

on the other hand a decent safe with a proper lock and security key is safe from all bar a locksmith with special tools or a determined thief with metal cutting tools and substantially more time

11. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

So do I and the emergency key is crap, an electric drill will sort it quickly.

Am I bothered, no. Thieves are frightened opportunists. Unless you/we leave the MH in some very isolated place for a long time they aren't up for drilling. They want IN - OUT with a handbag full of money, cameras, CCs, computers. All over in a minute.

A thinking man would have the safe on view and loads of money stored in a hidden compartment that he has constructed.

If the thief really believes you are rich, he'll take the whole vehicle and take it pieces at his leisure.

• Like Like x 5
  12. aba

aba

someone once said on here fit a safe and put your underwear and socks in it.
    there are loads of hiding places in a motorhome and some of them you will only find with the customs x-ray scanner at the docks.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TheBig1

Sorry Brian, but there are far quicker and easier ways to open them with next to nothing. drilling the lock is not required

14. hilldweller

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer.

Just YouTubed.

Must do some testing tomorrow. At lease mine is bolted to the wall with the two holes and this may help, I'll have a go tomorrow.

15. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

There are two things that can be done to foil most of these attempts.

Mount the safe upside down, this reinforces the weak spring on the solenoid by gravity and also makes it difficult to hit the top. A bent bit if metal to partially shroud the reset button will fix the other easy solution.
    It can still be opened by the lock but that needs tools, and if they were going to do that then any small safe could fail.

My safe is mounted with the door upwards, I will try tomorrow to see if these ideas will work with it in that position.

16. hilldweller

Yea gods. Despite the safe being bolted to the wall it took only two or three goes to slap it open :Eeek:

But not any more. I took the door off, opened it up and studied. Stronger spring is the obvious one but iffy on a failing battery. Damping is what is needed. DING ! Smear the solenoid with silicon grease. It snaps in a treat but takes a good second for spring return. No way can it be slapped open now. To be extra sure I adjusted the lock plate for minimal clearance so the solenoid needs to be fully home to release it.

It's still poor security but good enough for our needs.

• Like Like x 2
  17. StitchUp

StitchUp Read Only Funster

18. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Mine is a different shape, as I keep my laptop in it. I have a tablet but can't get on with the 'keyboard'.

19. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

So i ask
    Elaine dear lets get a safe for van why she asks ,so we can keep our money safe I say
    Humph she says our money is very safe were it is out of your way
    How much do we have I ask
    Still no answer :cry:

• Like Like x 1
  20. hilldweller