Fitting a car radio inside a cupboard (1 Viewer)

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of fitting a car radio (either single or double DIN) in to an overhead cupboard in the rear lounge.

The radio in the dash is wired to the vehicle battery, it needs the ignition on to work and more importantly, it only takes cassettes! (Remember them??)

So with a modern radio in mind, I'm fine with the wiring, but what I can't work out is how best to mount / install it in the cupboard. I'm good with wood so can make something up, but I'm stumped on inspiration!

Anyone done anything like this before? Any suggestions? I need some ideas :)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of fitting a car radio (either single or double DIN) in to an overhead cupboard in the rear lounge.

The radio in the dash is wired to the vehicle battery, it needs the ignition on to work and more importantly, it only takes cassettes! (Remember them??)

So with a modern radio in mind, I'm fine with the wiring, but what I can't work out is how best to mount / install it in the cupboard. I'm good with wood so can make something up, but I'm stumped on inspiration!

Yep fitted mine in cupboard ,basically mounted on a wood platform .works well .

OP
OP
RogerThat

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Hi @Khizzie did you make a fascia board for it? Or box it in completely? Or have you just screwed it down to a board?

Any issues you came across along the way?

I forgot to add, what about speakers? I was thinking of installing a couple of 6x9 speakers in the lower face of each of the two bench seats (it's an L-shaped lounge), rather than something mounted high up under the cupboards?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ColinandDawn

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
England
Funster No
MH
Home Brew
Exp
Yes
@RogerThat

I looked at this last year and found the best solution was to borrow the battery powered portable cd radio (boom box) from the house.

1. No installation required (no drilling holes or cutting wood).
2. Runs off batteries (no running wires back to the leisure battery).
3. You can run it off re-chargeable batteries (charged from the leisure battery).
4. You can take it with you when you want to sit outside your van.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
@RogerThat

I looked at this last year and found the best solution was to borrow the battery powered portable cd radio (boom box) from the house.

3. You can run it off re-chargeable batteries (charged from the leisure battery).
Agree (y)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Hi @Khizzie did you make a fascia board for it? Or box it in completely? Or have you just screwed it down to a board?

Any issues you came across along the way?

I forgot to add, what about speakers? I was thinking of installing a couple of 6x9 speakers in the lower face of each of the two bench seats (it's an L-shaped lounge), rather than something mounted high up under the cupboards?
Hi ya ,I found,a facia in halfrauds that suited what I had in mind ,then using two small angle brackets screwed the radio to a raised platform that I made,so that all cables could be tucked away under it..i took power from one of the 12v internal lights and an internal aerial that I got from ebay. Bought some good speakers from borehams in Witney ,oxon. An fitted these above the cab in the valances' that run down the sides . ..pleased with it looks the job .

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I would just say "heat". Radios need some air circulation to keep them cool. Don't box it too tightly.

But radio is so "yesterday", today is MP3. Bluetooth.

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
Hi everyone,

I've done this. Just made an open wooden surround with plenty of air space at the rear to fit in the bottom of the cupboard. I bought a cheap Sony one from Halfords and some Adastra wall mount speakers. The sound is pretty good to me. I was a little concerned about heat but it gets warm and no more. I had considered MP3 docks etc.. but I couldn't find anywhere suitable in our van to mount them so they'd travel and be out of the way.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
I've done this. Just made an open wooden surround with plenty of air space at the rear to fit in the bottom of the cupboard. I bought a cheap Sony one from Halfords and some Adastra wall mount speakers. The sound is pretty good to me. I was a little concerned about heat but it gets warm and no more. I had considered MP3 docks etc.. but I couldn't find anywhere suitable in our van to mount them so they'd travel and be out of the way.

Shame I've just removed the same type of thing from the caravan not blue tooth but takes mp3 cds and players thinking of flogging it too

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
@RogerThat

Why would you need to run wire all the way to the leisure battery, couldn't you just take a feed from a light or something else?

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
The problem there is because in British built motorhomes the 12v power goes off when engine is started so the radio is fired up when stopped .

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Might be a daft suggestion but couldn't you not fit a battery master
This as I've read it charges your vehicle battery as well as the hab battery when on hook up
You could then use your vehicle head unit and run some extra speakers to the rear lounge
Then the new head unit would be for when your travelling as well as when you parked up

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
The problem there is because in British built motorhomes the 12v power goes off when engine is started so the radio is fired up when stopped .
Only ever had German vans, not crazy English ones! :)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
The Big 1's reply is for stereo systems, if you're fitting a mono radio, just read one of his posts (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back