Fitting a car radio inside a cupboard

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by RogerThat, Aug 22, 2016.

1. RogerThat

RogerThat Funster

1999 Swift Sundance 590RL. North West, UK.
    Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of fitting a car radio (either single or double DIN) in to an overhead cupboard in the rear lounge.

The radio in the dash is wired to the vehicle battery, it needs the ignition on to work and more importantly, it only takes cassettes! (Remember them??)

So with a modern radio in mind, I'm fine with the wiring, but what I can't work out is how best to mount / install it in the cupboard. I'm good with wood so can make something up, but I'm stumped on inspiration!

Anyone done anything like this before? Any suggestions? I need some ideas :)

2. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Yep fitted mine in cupboard ,basically mounted on a wood platform .works well .

3. RogerThat

RogerThat Funster

1999 Swift Sundance 590RL. North West, UK.
    Hi @Khizzie did you make a fascia board for it? Or box it in completely? Or have you just screwed it down to a board?

Any issues you came across along the way?

I forgot to add, what about speakers? I was thinking of installing a couple of 6x9 speakers in the lower face of each of the two bench seats (it's an L-shaped lounge), rather than something mounted high up under the cupboards?

4. ColinandDawn

ColinandDawn Funster

@RogerThat

I looked at this last year and found the best solution was to borrow the battery powered portable cd radio (boom box) from the house.

1. No installation required (no drilling holes or cutting wood).
    2. Runs off batteries (no running wires back to the leisure battery).
    3. You can run it off re-chargeable batteries (charged from the leisure battery).
    4. You can take it with you when you want to sit outside your van.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

we have a dab that runs on batteries 240 or 12v

• Like Like x 1
  6. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Agree (y)

7. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Hi ya ,I found,a facia in halfrauds that suited what I had in mind ,then using two small angle brackets screwed the radio to a raised platform that I made,so that all cables could be tucked away under it..i took power from one of the 12v internal lights and an internal aerial that I got from ebay. Bought some good speakers from borehams in Witney ,oxon. An fitted these above the cab in the valances' that run down the sides . ..pleased with it looks the job .

8. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I would just say "heat". Radios need some air circulation to keep them cool. Don't box it too tightly.

But radio is so "yesterday", today is MP3. Bluetooth.

9. Muddibootz

Muddibootz Funster

I've done this. Just made an open wooden surround with plenty of air space at the rear to fit in the bottom of the cupboard. I bought a cheap Sony one from Halfords and some Adastra wall mount speakers. The sound is pretty good to me. I was a little concerned about heat but it gets warm and no more. I had considered MP3 docks etc.. but I couldn't find anywhere suitable in our van to mount them so they'd travel and be out of the way.