Fitted spare wheel carrier to my Ducato

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by stevec, Oct 8, 2015.

1. stevec

stevec Funster

I have a 2015 Burstner which only comes with an inflation kit. I decided to fit a spare wheel carrier after determining that the chassis would take one. It is a 2015 Fiat Ducato with a Fiat chassis (not Alko). I purchased a spare wheel carrier from here:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-Peugeot-Citron-Spare-Wheel-Carrier-/301753175243?hash=item4641e40ccb
    Comes with a winding bar which some on ebay don't come with.
    The only problem was that the chassis was fitted with captive nuts for the hanger but not for the winder. There were four hex holes for rivnuts though. You can get them for £2.75 each from a Fiat dealer (yes...each!)...part number 15624511. Instead I bought two M10 100mm bolts, washers and locknuts from my local hardware store for just over £2. I had to grind off a millimeter or so from one of the winder flanges (see pic) to enable the holes to line up. I didn't overtighten the M10 bolts as it would be possible to crush the chassis cross member.

I just have to get a spare wheel now and fit the Vanco tyre I got from Lenny on here. I've put a socket, extension bar and ratchet handle in the van to operate the winder. The whole thing adds weight but gives me peace of mind.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  2. Geordies

Geordies Funster

Out of interest, presuming it's a standard steel wheel your using, have you actually weighed the wheel and tyre ? If so, what sort of weight are they ?

3. barsteward

barsteward Funster

Everyone likes to knock the British manufacturers but at least mine came with a spare wheel:whistle:

• Like Like x 2
  4. stevec

stevec Funster

Not got the wheel yet so not got the total weight. I'm expecting something around 20kg at a guess. No doubt someone here knows the actual weight.

5. Derbyshire wanderer

Derbyshire wanderer Funster Life Member

Landrover wheels are about 65 to 85lb so I would think 30 to 35kg would be nearer the figure.
    I could weigh mine but the thing is too heavy to remove unless it is going to be used.

6. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Does the carrier sit in front of or behind the rear axle please - just trying to understand weight distribution.

7. stevec

stevec Funster

Carrier sits just behind rear wheels so extra load of wheel and carrier will come pretty much off the rear axle load allowance.

• Like Like x 1
  8. castor

castor Funster

Weighed my fiat spare with vanco tyre and 25 kgs, unsure what the carrier system weighs , keep mine in garage , modified so weight is as far as possible nearer the rear wheels , rear bed helps. bit of a pain if need to get out!

9. BILL 875

BILL 875 Funster

Bought an alloy wheel for my 2014 Burstner, will keep it in the garage, matches original wheels and tyres cost £ 260.00 all in, like you say blow up kit bl**dy rubbish idea.

10. Geordies

Geordies Funster

Just wondering if you weighed the alloy wheel and tyre? Be nice to see how much, if any, less it weighs than the 25kg quoted for steel rim and tyre.

11. Peter A Forbes

Peter A Forbes Funster

Our Mercedes bus came from the factory with no spare wheel or tools, so we looked around and were very lucky to pick up the genuine article quite cheaply on ebay, and off a new chassis as well.

By the time you have fitted the carrier and winch, retaining cradle and the support brackets you are into 30kg or so. The wheel is probably 45kg with a steel 16" wheel and 225/75R16C Conti tyre fitted.

It fits rear of the axle where the disabled tail lift was before, which is why it wasn't fitted with a spare wheel carrier.

A 10-ton hydraulic jack and new 1/2" socket and knuckle bar completes the setup, plus a 10" extension as we have twin rear wheels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The white bits are dust that is highlighted by the flasgun.

Peter

12. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

16" steel with 225 tyre is circa 30kg
    My home made carrier is 12 kg tops

This is a 15" version I did for friends but they had the same chassis
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

Someone suggested just carrying a spare tyre... as realistically it'll be the roadside services who will be doing the wheel changing. Sounded sensible.
    Not applicable to me as I also have a Brit van which came with a spare.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Techno

Yes that's the next best option. However if you have the payload it is much better to have the whole wheel. It's really only motorways where you'd have to be recovered to a safe place. On the majority of roads you'd limp to somewhere safe/suitable and change it if you're still fit enough :LOL:

• Like Like x 1
  15. stevec

stevec Funster

If I carried just a spare tyre it would still have to go underneath as I have no space in the garage (French bed). So I'd only save the weight of the actual wheel. Yes a few kgs but I'm happy to forfeit that for peace of mind

• Like Like x 1
  16. Techno

What size wheels do you have Steve AND is yours x250 or x290?

• Like Like x 1
  17. barsteward

barsteward Funster

the hat certainly helps Andy:ROFLMAO:
    Sorry mate no offence intended(y)

• Like Like x 1
  18. stevec

stevec Funster

Andy, it's the new shape 2015 Ducato (X290?) with the non-smiley lights. 15 inch wheels. I've been told by Tyremen that the wheels are the same as the X250 in both offset and PDC. And also that both alloys and steel wheels use the same bolts.

19. Peter A Forbes

Peter A Forbes Funster

We didn't get a spare with the Mercedes, so we bought a job lot of wheels and had them shot-blasted and powder coated.

Upped the tyre width from 215 to 225 and fitted 7 new tyres plus one extra spare for Europe travels. The old tyres were a mixture of makes, so we ended up with Yokohama X 4 on the back and Conti Vanco on the fronts. 118 and 121 rated.

Wouldn't go anywhere without a proper spare wheel, we carry two for the trailer as well.

We also bought a new 10 tonne jack and a decent bar and socket for a wheel brace.

Peter

20. Techno

Sorry I didn't get an alert to your reply. 15" will be fine as you were told.
    With the 16" I believe they have reduced the PCD from 130 to 118 same as 15's so buying a spare wheel is a potential hazard.