fitted safe?????

Discussion in 'Motorhome Security' started by jaygee, Mar 24, 2009.

1. jaygee

jaygee Funster

Is it worth fitting one of those small safes that you can buy. It could be bolted to the chassis ?

2. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Be safe with a safe !

Definitely YES !!! We have 3 credit cards and bank cards, only one of which is in use, the remainder plus euros are in the safe in case we are mugged or lose the wallet or purse, the van has a tracker fitted so we are assured of a quick recovery if it is ever stolen. the immobiliser also functions, probably a case of belt and braces but when you are far from home better to be safe than sorry...:Doh:

3. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Having been robbed I can say a definite YES!!!!!

Anything that slows em up.

They'll know all the hidey holes

4. Benni-Boy

Benni-Boy Read Only Funster

Safe

Hi, we have a MICROMARK electronic safe. It has a keypad and operates on a small battery. They only cost around thirty quid. Keypad handy in case you are prone to losing keys like us! Can be found if you google "micromark safe".:thumb:
    Happy travelling

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Yes. Much better than nothing but remember as safes go they aren't up to much. The one we have has an emergency key for if the battery goes flat, drill the lock, turn it, you are in within a minute.

Plan B is find or create an subtle secret panel.

Have a safe as well and with luck they attack that and miss the real goodies behind the secret panel. But any hint, like finger marks or scratches and it ain't secret.

6. Braunston

Braunston Read Only Funster

Hi,
    I am not saying don't fit a safe as I am seriously considering fitting one myself, but it is worth considering just what damage may be done if they try to forcibly remove it. There are generally 2 sides to most questions

7. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Got mine from B&Q £26.00 nice sturdy little electronic jobby gives you peace of mind.

8. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

They've already done damage by the time they get to it.

9. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Would say yes ! any thing that makes it more difficult is worth it.

Same with the motorhome if it looks as though it will take time to get in they will go elsewhere if there is a choice.

Dave

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  10. timv

timv Read Only Funster

Yes first job before going away. Also worth fitting spare keys for safe and van in secure pale in chassis in case you have main keys stollen or lost (make sure in sealed bag)
    PS make sure well hidden.

11. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

hi Jaygee,

i have a small standalone safe with a reinforced cable loop.
    ok, you could crop the cable and take the safe but i dont know anyone that carries bolt croppers around in their pocket least of all oppetunist theives.
    most van robbers are after easy pickings anyway....cameras, laptop, purse/wallet, credit cards.

its positioned in a pretty hard place to get to and tethered to part of the steel structure of the van so im happy with it.

to be honest your as well hiding cards in various places so they dont all get stolen and leave some old, cancelled/expired ones in obvious hiding places.
    if they find these they may call it a day and not look further.

like house burglers, they dont like being inside too long...the longer inside, the more chance of being caught and fed to the dogs.

12. ronald4874

ronald4874 Read Only Funster

Safe in M/Hs

I have fitted a safe obtained from B&Q, as was then, about £19. This is bolted through and blends in with the wheel arch and carpeted over, on top of that goes the cooking utensils. In there goes Passports, all cards such as carnets, caravan club, EHIC (in date) and of course money.
    We always make sure all curtains are drawn, the doors chained across, the cross over lock set and a very big S/S dog bowl, with water in, outside the side door. OK we could still be done but we feel we have done all that is possible.
    Even on a campsite at night the doors are chained across and dog bowl out, at the side of the bed a air siren ( ex boat fog horn) and a 10,000 lumen light to blind the intruder

13. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I've thought about one but felt that unless it was a proper safe it would be largely a waste of time.. too small to keep anything of real value ..

I reasoned that when they find it they will simply rip it out or smash it open and then you've lost everything in it.. at the end of the day, there are far more valuable items lying about or in cupboards , lappy, cameras, etc ,. none of which will go in a safe.. cards can be replaced , passports can be hidden very easily .. so what else do you keep in it ?
    well, only my Rolex .. :Rofl1::Rofl1:

Before I left my job I had the opportunity of a proper office safe that was being discarded but it was soooo heavy and would have taken up a lot of space so I decided against.

14. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Only just seen this.... .Yes IMO you should stash valuables in different places around the motorhome, the theory being that once they find one valuable item the urge to scarper with that one item becomes overwhelming. Hide everything in one place, say at the bottom of the wardrobe or under a seat and you risk losing it all. However if you have a very loud internal siren then a well hidden safe will probably serve you well; the chances are the siren will ensure they won't be in the van long enough to nick it. :Smile:

15. Hymer

Hymer Read Only Funster

Don't forget that you need to inform your insurance company as they won't otherwise cover any damage caused in attempting to break in to the safe.

16. Road Runner

Just bought a fireproof one from Lidl.

It's the fireproof side of things I like:Wink:

17. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

can i sense a total loss insurance claim for fire damage in the very near future john:Wink::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

18. Jim

Jim Ringleader

The policy will be Ok in the safe:BigGrin:

19. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

Not while its here please John !

20. Road Runner

Been robbed with Irina, dad, me, and Bruno in the bus while sleeping so cant see anyone being all that scared of making a quick getaway, plus done all my neighbour as well.:Wink: