Fishing advice needed please

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by pappajohn, Jul 11, 2009.

1. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

any fishermen out there?

bearing in mind i havent had a fishing rod in my hands for the last 45 years i need some/a lot of advise regarding freshwater/lake fishing.

going to the fishing/chill out meet in a fortnight and dont have a clue what i need to fish.

been and bought a 3 mtr general purpose rod and reel but need advice on hook size, float type, lead shot size/amount of shot on line, line strength(the reel is already loaded but with what i dont know)

i bought some size 10 hooks and a couple of clear hollow plastic floats with pretty orange dayglow paint on one end and a line ring on the other and a tub of split shot.

dont even know what we're fishing for but i would think carp and trout or whatever they stick in fishing ponds/lakes.

what bait should i be using for carp/trout?
    how far above the hook should the float be?

can buy a rod licence online for a short period (1 day or 8 day) so no advice needed on that thanks.

i could be so bored with this i chuck the lot in the lake and never fish again so minimal outlay please.

cheers.

2. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Sorry John can't help I found this last part applied to me hope you get on better, I found sitting by the water the best part.:Doh: with a drink or two of course.

Dave

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  3. pappajohn

Yeah.....apart from the mozzies/flys:Eek!:

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

only do sea angling John so not much help I'm afraid :Sad:

Can't see the point of fishing if you can't eat it .. or do you eat carp etc ?:Eeek:

5. pappajohn

if its in batter with chips i'll have a go at anything.......must be some scottish in me blood:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

6. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Thats why the midges like you john:Eeek:

Dave

7. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

Think the meet is coarse fishing carp etc not fly fishing for trout, two different types of fishing. We use sweetcorn or luncheon meat bait for our carp. As for your "tackle" I will leave that to someone else to answer ! :Smile:

8. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

There are some great recipes out there for carp, after all the monasteries stocked ponds with them for food. However Dylan expects all fish caught to be put back in the lake. Like you I only fish for food.

9. carpyone

carpyone Read Only Funster

You ask a lot of questions in a short post to which there are many more answers depending on how you look at fishing.

I'm going to the same rally but I have no idea what the fishing is if its general coarse fishing or carp fishing. To me the most important thing is that the hooks you have bought are barbless. Many lake owners have banned barbed hooks because of the damage they cause to the fish.

For those who fancy eating the carp they might be put off by the cost:

A carp over 10pounds will cost a £100+, a 20pounder may cost a£1000+ and I know one specimen lake owner who paid £10000+ for a fish of more than 30pounds.

As for bait again it depends on the fish but a good general bait is sweetcorn, luncheon meat, bread and worms. For Carp all the above will catch but many will use boilies or trout pellets.

10. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Hi John,

Just get a hand grenade or a stick of dynamite............. dead easy and guaranteed to catch plenty:RollEyes:

Peter

11. pappajohn

unfortunately the hooks i bought are barbed but at 75p for 10 hooks i can afford to bin them and buy barbless hooks.

looks like i wont need any live bait then....just my luncheon meat and sweetcorn relish sandwiches....have to make extra:BigGrin:

out of interest....what are boilies?

12. lugnutt

lugnutt Funster Life Member

Papagena.you will not be fishing for trout.but Roach, perch,gudgeon,carp,chub ect no 10 hook is far to big get 16/18 hooks .main reel line 4lb.Hooklength 2lb ie last two feet 6/8 inches from hook put a small shot(drop shot no8 should do) put 2 no 4 shot one each side of float and a one gram clear float about 3 foot from hook.when you have done this drop in water if the float is to high put more shot by float,if it sinks under water take some shot of have it so just the orange bit is above the water.now you have to find the depth to do this put big weight by hook and drop in water if it goes under slide the float up the line till it just showing the orange now you are ready through some maggots in about 12 or so put two on hook and cast in ,when you get a bite ie float goes under stike by lifting rod up but not to hard or it will go over your head keep putting in a few maggots each time to keep the fish in your swim,try sweetcorn for the bigger fish or luncheon meat ,worms have a disgorger to get hook out of fish if swallowed.
    prepare speech for the picking up of cup
    Dave:thumb:

13. daveshellwildcampers

daveshellwildcampers Read Only Funster

I am sure the more experienced fishers will help you out and lend you anything you dont have xxxxx

Have a great time
    xxxx

14. pappajohn

thanks Dave.....just the kind of detailed info i need...as i said its been 45years and i dont want to look a total dork on the bankside:Doh:.
    so maggots, luncheon meat and sweetcorn ARE the dish of the day then......

its just for fun anyway, i dont expect to catch anything but mossy bites:cry:

15. pappajohn

yes but then you need a boat or go swimming to retreive all the fish:Rofl1::Rofl1:

16. lugnutt

Bob Nudd won the world championship on bit's 4 times:thumb:
    ps forgot to tell you take big sot from by hook after you have plumed it
    maggots £2 per pint
    meat £1 a tin
    sweetcorn 50p a tin
    winning cup ....priceless:Rofl1::Rofl1:

17. pappajohn

worked that one out Dave:Wink::BigGrin:

where do you buy meat at £1 a tin....unless you mean a little tin, only four bites big and not worth buying:Rofl1:

18. keith

keith Funster

John,

You will need a license but you can get that on line at THIS WEB SITE :thumb:
    Up to £2,500 fine if caught without one :Eeek:

Don't worry about what to do Geo caught the biggest fish last year With his second hand gear & we all get together before so you can gat plenty of information from us all - especially last years winner :RollEyes:

Maggots come in pints and you will need to have a bait box to carry them in, with perforated lid so they can breath. A pint should be plenty for a days fishing, together with other baits mentioned. I sometimes use bread, dead cheap loaf from Tesco - & you can eat it if you get peckish.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  19. lugnutt

lonchenmeat and bacon grill 69p at heron or lidl 89p

20. pappajohn

Yep!!!! already sorted the licence.:thumb:
    cant decide on 1 day or 8 day or i could get 2X1 day 'cos i dont know if i'll ever use it again.:Blush: